[SOLVED] Writing a program - Which is the best forum for a newbie?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
waywayka

[SOLVED] Writing a program - Which is the best forum for a newbie?

Post by waywayka »

Hi all,

I have an ambitious goal to write a piece of software, with no prior knowledge of programming.

I'm fairly sure it is a small application.

My question: Which forum would be the best to seek help from linux software developers?

Many thanks to all who read and consider this.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Writing a program - Which is the best forum for a newbie?

Post by lsemmens »

A brief overview of the program that you want to write might give us a better idea as to where to point you. I was a database programmer in a past life, but that does not translate to writing games easily.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
meToo

Post by meToo »

Building a fully functioning application is very time consuming, especially for someone who has not programmed before!
There exists a very good BASIC which simplifies production of GUI elements, currently for Windows, but a Linux version is now being tested. The windows version runs with linux/wine and may suit your needs without getting too complicated. It is often used (I'm told) by professional developers who wish to quickly produce a working example as it supports calls to windows APIs. Google 'Liberty Basic' for many useful results.
No doubt others will have different ideas but IMHO LibertyBASIC will get you started faster. It all depends on your needs and willingness to dedicate time.
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Gambas might be useful. It's meant to be a bit like Visual Basic in that it lets you easily create desktop GUI apps just by designing the forms and then writing the code that should be run when they're used (eg event driven). Also has good database support if you need that.

But we're only guessing here, you'll need to tell us a little bit more about what sort of software you want to create before we can give you better answers.
Running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on an Intel NUC8i5BEH with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

The best forum would probably be on stackoverflow but don't expect newbie spoon feeding from any of those sites. Try searching "best computer programming forum".

As mentioned programming tends to redefine what you mean by "simple application". And in the real worls expect to spend more time fixing and maintaining your program than you did writing it.

PLease don't use basic too much, it's just about the WORST language to learn programming on. The only reaosn it's as big as it is is that in, say, 1981, proper languages wouldn't run in the limited RAM personal computers had. Try Python or perl first.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
aditya02
Level 3
Level 3

Post by aditya02 »

waywayka wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:34 pm Hi all,
I have an ambitious goal to write a piece of software, with no prior knowledge of programming.
Hi waywayka. I am not demotivating you but before writing a software you must know the basis of atleast any one programming language. I am also a beginner learning python. I have also tried to do what you are trying and don't get succedd because it can't be accomplished. So don't waste your time searching this and learn to program. It will be fun for you. You can start with python, a simple and powerful programming language.
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Hoser Rob wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:22 am PLease don't use basic too much, it's just about the WORST language to learn programming on. The only reaosn it's as big as it is is that in, say, 1981, proper languages wouldn't run in the limited RAM personal computers had. Try Python or perl first.
Many modern BASICs are nothing like the BASIC of the 70's and 80's. Today's BASICs can be object oriented, have variable scoping, and have many control structures that allow structured programming.The reason it's called Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code is because it's great for beginners; they can quickly get something up and working without having to learn too much.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

murray wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:26 pm
Hoser Rob wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:22 am PLease don't use basic too much, it's just about the WORST language to learn programming on. The only reaosn it's as big as it is is that in, say, 1981, proper languages wouldn't run in the limited RAM personal computers had. Try Python or perl first.
Many modern BASICs are nothing like the BASIC of the 70's and 80's. Today's BASICs can be object oriented, have variable scoping, and have many control structures that allow structured programming.The reason it's called Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code is because it's great for beginners; they can quickly get something up and working without having to learn too much.
AMEN to that!

VBA was the last language I played with before I defected. We still need to know what you hope to achieve so our suggestions can be more specific
Fully mint Household
meToo

Post by meToo »

murray wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:26 pm Many modern BASICs are nothing like the BASIC of the 70's and 80's. Today's BASICs can be object oriented, have variable scoping, and have many control structures that allow structured programming.The reason it's called Beginner's All-purpose Symbolic Instruction Code is because it's great for beginners; they can quickly get something up and working without having to learn too much.
Totally agree, modern basic is not the 'worst' language to learn, probably the quickest route to producing a working program, especially if your project is a hobby project. LibertyBASIC is event driven, structured, and can produce a standalone application, although not in the best way. The latest version will improve on that and will be multi-platform.
The OP has not responded so we have no idea whether he intends a hobby project or hopes to earn a living as a programmer. IMHO a good BASIC is best for a hobbyist. I do wonder if he thinks his post has been deleted, as it was moved to a different topic.
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

Thanks for your replies and support, @lsemmens and @meToo

IMHO you're both perfectly correct, BASIC is a great language to use as a hobbyist and also as a beginner. A good BASIC is much more than just a language, they often include a full development system that lets you create apps without having to worry about window managers, low-level sub-systems, compiler settings, etc. Many professional programmers started on BASIC and then graduated to other languages as their needs changed.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

Under what operating system do you intend to run your program in?
Linux?
Windows?
Android?
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
waywayka

Post by waywayka »

Wow. I didn't expect so many replies. Many, many thanks.

I'll try and be specific here and clarify:

This is the context:
I am a teacher, and would like to use my Linux OS instead of Mac OS or Windows.
The only thing holding me back is being able to print.
The school uses a print server (I hope my terminology is correct) called Uni-flow. It is made by NT-ware for Canon.
To have a Uniflow app written for Linux is going to cost me between $325-$600AUD. So...

This is the goal:
Create a Linux based version of this Uniflow print server, perhaps by trying to understand how the MacOS app works.
I intend to run the program in Linux.

Is this achievable, or is the learning curve too steep?

I have noted all suggestions regarding programming languages and will take some first steps with BASIC and/or python.

Again, many thanks.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

You would have to learn a system-level programming language like C or Java for that kind of app. The learning process may end up more expensive than buying the software, unless programming is part of your career.

Why not just buy a new wireless printer that supports Linux like an HP desktop printer? I bought one recently for less than 20 (USD).
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

waywayka wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:40 pm This is the context:
I am a teacher, and would like to use my Linux OS instead of Mac OS or Windows.
The only thing holding me back is being able to print.
The school uses a print server (I hope my terminology is correct) called Uni-flow. It is made by NT-ware for Canon.
To have a Uniflow app written for Linux is going to cost me between $325-$600AUD. So...

This is the goal:
Create a Linux based version of this Uniflow print server, perhaps by trying to understand how the MacOS app works.
I intend to run the program in Linux.

Is this achievable, or is the learning curve too steep?
This isn't the sort of project that would be suitable for someone that is only just learning to program.

So if I understand you correctly, you want to use Linux on your classroom PCs and they need to be able to print to the Uniflow print server that the school uses? I'd be a bit surprised if you can't get this to work without any custom programming. It might just be that you need to change how the printing on your Linux machines is configured.

Where did the cost of $325-$600 come from?
waywayka

Post by waywayka »

Many thanks to all for your input, but as it turns out, Murray was right:

" It might just be that you need to change how the printing on your Linux machines is configured."

There was no need to try and write a program to emulate an app to allow me to connect to the print server.

What I needed to do was understand printing protocols much better.

The issue was solved by this website:

http://www.printmanager.com/cms.php?aid ... &support=8

I was able to connect to the uniflow Print server 2 different ways: via SAMBA or LPD.
Both were successful.

Again thanks to all. Seems I was over-thinking the problem
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Good to hear that the problem has been solved so easily. Please go back to your first post click "Edit" (the little pencil icon) and change your topic heading to <solved> - your problem may assist someone else one day.
Fully mint Household
murray
Level 5
Level 5

Post by murray »

waywayka wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 7:16 am Many thanks to all for your input, but as it turns out, Murray was right:

" It might just be that you need to change how the printing on your Linux machines is configured."
Glad to have been able to help! :D

Return to “Chat about Linux”