Scaling Panel's Text Size???

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Scaling Panel's Text Size???

Post by asciiman »

LM Cinnamon 19.1 upgraded from 19.0.

The upgrade seemed to go well, but upon logging into Cinnamon, I noticed that my custom config of the panel looked wrong.
Specifically, in LM 18.x and 19.0, I set the panel icons and text to scale to the panel size.
However, while the new panel control allows for icons to scale to size, there seems to be no provision for the panel text to do the same.

So I have nice large icons and tiny little text in my panel, lol.
Can anyone advise me on this one?
Did I miss something?

Thanks,
Allen
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Scaling Panel's Text Size???

Post by kyphi »

Have a look in System Settings, Font Selection, Text scaling factor. Increase it to 1.3 or more.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

Yes, but that control you mention is a universal control. That is to say, it scales all text by the ratio the user sets.
I am looking for something (as it was I think since LM 17.3) that controls text and icon scaling specifically in the panel.
Here is a screen shot of the Panel Control from LM 18.1 that allows both icons AND text to scale with the height of the panel.

Thanks for your reply just the same!

:D
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

The failure of the label font size to change with panel size is a side effect of the panel revamp allowing icon sizing to be fully user controlled in Cinnamon 4.

I understand allowing the same for labels is on the cards for Cinnamon 4.2 (I think the intention is to make all of the font characteristics currently set in cinnamon.css user controlled which is another big change so I guess didn't make it to 4.0 for lack of time).

https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap#linux-mint-192

In the meantime it's a case of editing your theme's cinnamon.css if the theme set label font sizes look really out of place for your personal panel set up.

If you can confirm what theme you are using I can point you in the right direction.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
Valsodar
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Valsodar »

smurphos wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:13 am editing your theme's cinnamon.css
What the OP described is just one of the reasons I'm still using 18.3. I tried everything I could find including what you said - editing cinnamon.css - and it didn't work. Restarting Cinnamon didn't make it work either.
If they really wanna give us full control of the customization, they should give us another option which when ON the panel icons and text labels are system sized exactly like on 18.3 and when OFF the user can manually enter sizes.
And they also should add vertical centering for text and icons on the panel in 19.x. cuz both are way off in that version of Mint.
Core i7-4770, Palit GTX 1660 Ti, 32GB DDR3 RAM, Firefox, Arch LTS w/ Cinnamon 5.2.7
My Linux group on Telegram
Avatar & desktop: https://ibb.co/album/GFx0yV
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

smurphos wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 3:13 am The failure of the label font size to change with panel size is a side effect of the panel revamp allowing icon sizing to be fully user controlled in Cinnamon 4.

I understand allowing the same for labels is on the cards for Cinnamon 4.2 (I think the intention is to make all of the font characteristics currently set in cinnamon.css user controlled which is another big change so I guess didn't make it to 4.0 for lack of time).

https://github.com/linuxmint/Roadmap#linux-mint-192

In the meantime it's a case of editing your theme's cinnamon.css if the theme set label font sizes look really out of place for your personal panel set up.

If you can confirm what theme you are using I can point you in the right direction.

Ok, thanks, that is good to know. I just wondered if I was missing some new and separate control in 19.1.
On a 16 x 9 24 inch desktop monitor, that standard height of the Cinnamon panel is too thin for my eyes.
But in 19.1 text labels for the time/calendar, weather applet, etc are all too small when setting the panel height where I need it.
Renders the "customize" feature useless for me.
I'm plenty happy still using 18.x or 19.0 for now.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

asciiman wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:37 pm Yes, but that control you mention is a universal control. That is to say, it scales all text by the ratio the user sets.
That is not so, for example browsers and email have their own mechanisms to adjust text size or can respond to Ctrl/+.

Like many users, I found the text in the panel far too small and using the Font Selection options, I increased the font size to 12 and the scaling factor to 1.3. Now everything is easily read (and I am using the Cinnamox-Kashmir-Blue theme).

The increased scaling factor and font size adjustment affects the panel text, the main menu, nemo and the header of some opened programs.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
asciiman
Level 3
Level 3

Post by asciiman »

OK thanks! I will give that a whirl!!
:)
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

Anyone wanting to try the editing the themes cinnamon.css to amend label font-sizes the classes to either add a font-size declaration e.g. something like font-size: 15px; or font-size: 1.2em;, or amend an existing one to are normally these. Some themes may need a few other tweaks.

.applet-label {}

.window-list-item-box {} or .window-list-box {}

.grouped-window-list-item-box {}

For Mint-Y you may need to remove this section which causes a vertical offset if you change the font size

Code: Select all

.applet-box StLabel {
    padding-top: 2px; }
If you are editing a stock theme I recommend copying the full theme from /usr/share/themes to ~/.themes before editing. Restart Cinnamon Ctrl-Alt-Esc to test edits.

I'm not convinced that font-scaling is the way to go - not all Cinnamon themes scale well.

It changes the text size of the content of a lot of applications (text editors etc) - I suppose setting the desktop font sizes below your comfort level resolution and scaling up is a possibility...
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Return to “Cinnamon”