fancontrol - configuring 2 individual pwm fans

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gorgar

fancontrol - configuring 2 individual pwm fans

Post by Gorgar »

Dear community,

i would like to control 2 fans individually.

(as mentioned in my other post on kernel upgrade and consequences viewtopic.php?f=90&t=265980#p1445825, i'm now having problems with fancontrol/psensor)

I use two pwm fans in my case: one for the CPU, one for the HDDs.

The sensors found are
  • Intel digital thermal sensor...
    (driver `coretemp')
  • Found `ITE IT8718F Super IO Sensors'
    (address 0x290, driver `it87') .
This is what fancontrol shows
  • # Configuration file generated by pwmconfig, changes will be lost
    INTERVAL=10
    DEVPATH=hwmon1=devices/platform/coretemp.0 hwmon2=devices/platform/it87.656
    DEVNAME=hwmon1=coretemp hwmon2=it8718
    FCTEMPS=hwmon2/device/pwm1=hwmon1/temp2_input
    FCFANS= hwmon2/device/pwm1=hwmon2/device/fan1_input
    MINTEMP=hwmon2/device/pwm1=20
    MAXTEMP=hwmon2/device/pwm1=38
    MINSTART=hwmon2/device/pwm1=145
    MINSTOP=hwmon2/device/pwm1=75
    MINPWM=hwmon2/device/pwm1=75
    MAXPWM=hwmon2/device/pwm1=255.

While the CPU-fan (lmsensor it8718-isa-290 fan1) runs o.k., the HDD-fan (lmsensor it8718-isa-290 fan2) hardly starts. Especially that is bugging me, because now my HDDs are close to 40°C compared to less than 30°C before changing the kernel and fancontrol.

Is there a way of adding fan2 to fancontrol/pwmconfig by adding a line?
Do you have suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Re: fancontrol - configuring 2 individual pwm fans

Post by Matthew_Wai »

Gorgar wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:53 pmIs there a way of adding fan2 to fancontrol/pwmconfig by adding a line?
Did you enter "Y" in answer to the question about hwmon2/device/pwm2 during the "pwmconfig" session?
I have Windows, UnionTech OS, and Linux Mint on the same HDD.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Gorgar,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

Here is another post on fan control.

Tip: When running "sensors-detect" you can have it automatically answer all the default questions

Code: Select all

sudo sensors-detect --auto
How can fan speed be adjusted automatically according to temperature?
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=286399&hilit=fancontrol

Install and configure monitoring tool in Ubuntu 18.04
https://medium.com/@Oysiyl/install-and- ... e1566050a8

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

phd21 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:55 amTip: When running "sensors-detect" you can have it automatically answer all the default questions

Code: Select all

sudo sensors-detect --auto
I found the following warning on another forum: https://askubuntu.com/questions/22108/

WARNING: Do NOT answer to all sensors-detect questions with yes. I did that, and I had the most disturbing system crash!
I would like to reiterate: Do NOT answer all sensors-detect questions with "Yes", it can PERMANENTLY damage your computer.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Matthew_Wai",

The command "sensors-detect" with the "--auto" uses the defaults for all the questions, it does not automatically answer yes to all of them.

I have run this "sensors-detect" command many times on various computers and Linux operating systems for years where I did manually answer yes to all of the questions and it never produced a problem for me or the systems I ran it on. But, that does not necessarily mean everyone should answer yes to all of the sensor questions.

Type "man sensors-detect" to see help description on this and or search the Internet.

I also read your other post where you have updated it with your instructions for updating sensors. Since my ancient computer hardware does not have any sensors other than CPU and drive temp. sensors, I cannot test or try those.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
Matthew_Wai
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Matthew_Wai »

phd21 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:46 pmThe command "sensors-detect" with the "--auto" uses the defaults for all the questions, it does not automatically answer yes to all of them.
Please look at the following question:
Do you want to add these lines automatically to /etc/modules? (yes/NO)
The default is "NO".
As sudo sensors-detect --auto uses the defaults, does a user have to manually add the lines to /etc/modules?

BTW, yesterday I submitted a tutorial in the Tutorials section. When will it be processed? Will I be notified if it is rejected?

Return to “Beginner Questions”