Will I break anything if I switch from Cinnamon

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Will I break anything if I switch from Cinnamon

Post by Kendoori »

My Thinkpad X230 has weird issues graphics wise, which appear to be related to my Intel i915 cards ability to handle transparency. It's intermittent and had gone away for a while, but a kernel update seems to have brought it back. I dropped the kernel back, but that didn't snuff the issue out. I'm now trying a different theme, which appears to have calmed things down. I am wondering whether there is just some toxicity between Cinnamon and my hardware setup.

Am thinking that Mate might behave differently. I don't want to rebuild my system and wondered whether trying out Mate with my setup can be done without significant pain.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Will I break anything if I switch from Cinnamon

Post by kyphi »

If you just want to see how the MATE edition functions, you could try a live version or install it in VirtualBox or dual boot.

To answer your question, if you would break anything, I would say, yes, lots. Best to do a clean install.
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
deanr72
Level 3
Level 3

Post by deanr72 »

Not an ideal solution but in similar cases I've simply dual-booted two linux OSs and gradually (i.e. over a week or two) made the second install behave as I wanted.

Once I'd got everything from one OS to the other I delete (or just shrink) the now obsolete OS.

At least this way there's very little danger of breaking anything and you'll always have one working OS should anything go a bit funky 😉
dogshed
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dogshed »

I used Software Manager to install Mate. I select it from the login screen.
This was suggested on a post I found *on the internet* and although I have some issues I don't think it's due to installing this way.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

It's best to use the live DVD or usb and test that way first. if all looks good do a clean install of Mate.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I hate to state the obvious here but...

BACKUP! BACKUP! BACKUP!

Always make a backup before you play with anything you think may bork your system.

Now. To your problem.

My thinking is - after you have backed everything up - blow it all away and load your new system. Then you can re-install what you need. Think of it like buying a new car. You generally don't keep the old one around "just in case" do you?
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “MATE”