What type of computer or device do you primarily use?

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
otacon14112

What type of computer or device do you primarily use?

Post by otacon14112 »

My primary type of computer has been, and always will be, desktop computers. I am, admittedly, old-fashioned in that regard. When I think of a computer, I think of desktop computers. My second choice is a laptop, for when I'm not at my desktop. I know a growing number of people are switching to tablets, smartphones, or Chromebooks, but I don't know why. I don't know how these devices can possibly replace the enormous potential and capability of the desktop, not to mention raw power, but the combined market share of these alternative devices is relatively large. I don't know what it is, but it wouldn't surprise me if they've collectively overtaken the desktop computer. I'm pretty sure laptops have a larger market share than desktops now.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Re: What type of computer or device do you primarily use?

Post by Moem »

Laptop. My Thinkpad lives on my lap for much of the time that I'm home, awake and not actively doing something else. Second is the desktop, that lives in my work room, where I spend most of one day a week.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
smurphos
Level 18
Level 18

Post by smurphos »

I use a laptop as a desktop replacement - why? At the time of purchase i couldn't afford both and needed something for home and on the road. It's 7 years old originally a Win7 machine and running strong on Mint 19.1 / Manjaro dual boot. I hope to get another 4 or 5 years out of it as my main machine.

I use another laptop as my media server - why? Someone gifted it to me - it's a 13 year old originally XP machine. It runs Mint XFCE and it's primary purpose is to run Plex for me. it performs this function admirably.

I have a Chromebook convertible as my lounge and travel laptop now.- why? It was insanely cheap, has insane battery life, and is very portable. It runs Chrome apps, Linux apps in a Debian Stretch container and Android apps like a champ.

Plus a Nokia 8 Android phone......
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Laptops, only recently built a desktop (first in about 15 years) and although high spec it spends most of its time switched off. I use my laptop more like a desktop in that it spends most of its time plugged into an external monitor.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

I have 4 computers (2 desktop towers, 2 laptops). I gave one of my 14" laptops (Intel i5 processor @ 2.67 speed) to my wife since there are days my wife's 11" iPad tablet screen is just too small for what she wants to see. This leaves me with two desktop towers and one laptop. My main everyday daily driver computer is one of my desktop tower computers (Intel i7 processor @ 3.40 speed). The second desktop tower is my backup computer (Intel i7 processor @ 2.80 speed). When I'm using either of my two desktop tower computers, I use them with a 27" monitor, keyboard and a mouse.

I only use my 14" laptop computer (Intel i5 processor @ 2.50 speed) for traveling like when I travel to the upper Texas coast for a two or three days to surf the waves on the upper Texas coast with my standup paddle board. I stay at one of my friend's home down on the upper Texas coast.

I use the laptop to check on the streaming webcams for the different beaches I surf at and bring up the surfing forecast for those beaches along with water temperature. One of those beaches (Sunrise Beach) is below which has a streaming webcam. The streaming webcam below does "not" require Flash since it uses Html5.

https://www.bolivarpeninsulatexas.com/W ... rise-Beach

And the surf forecast for Sunrise Beach which is located at the small town near Crystal Beach, Tx is below.

https://www.windfinder.com/weatherforec ... -peninsula

And I also use the link below for water temperature since I do not use a wetsuit because my minimum comfort zone while wearing "water shoes, shorts, long sleeve shirt and a hat" when I'm in the water is 66 degrees F.

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/wgof.html

When I'm using my two desktop tower computers, I do not see how people use spreadsheet programs for finance and/or engineering cad cam programs with a tablet. My 27" wide screen monitor has spoiled me.

BTW, when I use my laptop computer on a trip, I use it with a mouse. I'm too slow when using a trackpad with my fingers. And I do not own a tablet or a smartphone.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Night Wing wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:54 am BTW, when I use my laptop computer on a trip, I use it with a mouse. I'm too slow when using a trackpad with my fingers. And I do not own a tablet or a smartphone.
I really dislike mice AND trackpads. My laptop has a trackpoint and with my desktop, I use a trackball. It's good that there are options! :D

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
otacon14112

Post by otacon14112 »

Night Wing wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:54 am I have 4 computers (2 desktop towers, 2 laptops). I gave one of my 14" laptops (Intel i5 processor @ 2.67 speed) to my wife since there are days my wife's 11" iPad tablet screen is just too small for what she wants to see. This leaves me with two desktop towers and one laptop. My main everyday daily driver computer is one of my desktop tower computers (Intel i7 processor @ 3.40 speed). The second desktop tower is my backup computer (Intel i7 processor @ 2.80 speed). When I'm using either of my two desktop tower computers, I use them with a 27" monitor, keyboard and a mouse.

I only use my 14" laptop computer (Intel i5 processor @ 2.50 speed) for traveling like when I travel to the upper Texas coast for a two or three days to surf the waves on the upper Texas coast with my standup paddle board. I stay at one of my friend's home down on the upper Texas coast.

I use the laptop to check on the streaming webcams for the different beaches I surf at and bring up the surfing forecast for those beaches along with water temperature. One of those beaches (Sunrise Beach) is below which has a streaming webcam. The streaming webcam below does "not" require Flash since it uses Html5.

https://www.bolivarpeninsulatexas.com/W ... rise-Beach

And the surf forecast for Sunrise Beach which is located at the small town near Crystal Beach, Tx is below.

https://www.windfinder.com/weatherforec ... -peninsula

And I also use the link below for water temperature since I do not use a wetsuit because my minimum comfort zone while wearing "water shoes, shorts, long sleeve shirt and a hat" when I'm in the water is 66 degrees F.

https://www.nodc.noaa.gov/dsdt/cwtg/wgof.html

When I'm using my two desktop tower computers, I do not see how people use spreadsheet programs for finance and/or engineering cad cam programs with a tablet. My 27" wide screen monitor has spoiled me.

BTW, when I use my laptop computer on a trip, I use it with a mouse. I'm too slow when using a trackpad with my fingers. And I do not own a tablet or a smartphone.
Those are interesting links. Thanks for sharing them. Is the webcam on a tower? It seems really high up.
Moem wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:06 am
Night Wing wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:54 am BTW, when I use my laptop computer on a trip, I use it with a mouse. I'm too slow when using a trackpad with my fingers. And I do not own a tablet or a smartphone.
I really dislike mice AND trackpads. My laptop has a trackpoint and with my desktop, I use a trackball. It's good that there are options! :D
I actually prefer PS/2 mice with the ball under them. When they don't require cleaning, I like their feel and how the mouse moves on the screen the most. I just don't like constantly having to clean them. But for years now, I haven't been able to use once, because no matter which USB PS/2 mouse/keyboard adapter I try, they never work.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

I deliberatedly bought a SLOW desktop 10 years ago. Why? I was a gaming addict. Gaming is nice, but I wanted to enjoy life without gaming as well. With a deliberated choice for a SLOW desktop I couldnt play games anymore. LinuxMint is an excellent choice for additcted gamers as well, for obvious reasons...

Now I recently bought my first ever notebook a Thinkpad T430. But I think of doing what AndyMH had done as well, who connected his notebook to an external bigger screen. SCREENS are the ultimate reason why I dont want to use a notebook at home. I LOVE movies and smaller screens can be beautiful as well, but I do love the warm saturated colors of my big EIZO monitor... Therefore a desktop is the logical choice for me at home...or I will try out connecting my faster Thinkpad to my EIZO monitor.

I do understand the surprise of the original poster, who sees everybody jugging these chromebooks and tablets around. I am from the stone age, just came out of my cave and if I had a choice I would use no computer at all. Just a dvd player would do.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Right now my only computer is a MBP 2011 13". For years I used just the on-board display, but finally I was in a position to upgrade, and bought an Acer 23" monitor. OMG. That was literally like sticking a billboard on my desk. I love it!

It runs almost exclusively in desktop replacement mode (that is, with external keyboard, mouse, now the external monitor) and it's been pretty decent. It's got 10GB of RAM and the better part of two years ago (I think, not really sure) I changed out the disk for a 250GB Sammy SSD.

It is time for me to upgrade, but right now I don't have the budget. However, my plan is to buy a Purism system.

I've never been a gamer. I don't just mean in the context of video games; I mean I've really never been much of a gamer my whole life. My parents bought me the Atari 2600 after it'd come out, but I'd be willing to bet it doesn't have more than 200 hours on it. Mostly, growing up, I was involved in other things and only infrequently did stuff for just enjoyment purposes, other than watching TV or listening to the radio.

A number of years ago now, a friend of mine got a deal on buying two Sony original Playstation systems (model 2000s I think they were, not really sure any more) and I probably used mine a dozen times or so.

Anyhow, I spent most of my computer life in the proprietary software world, and I've done such a thorough job liberating myself from it I never need to go back to it again. Yay!
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Post by exploder »

My primary device lately is an acer 15 Chromebook. It looks elegant, loaded with features and gets 14 hours of battery life! I paid $329.00 for the Chromebook and the build quality is amazing for the price. I love the 15.6" touch screen display and the back lit keyboard.

I have desktops, other laptops, android tablets and an IPad but the acer Chromebook is really pleasant and convenient to use.

Edit: I should mention that one of the reasons the Chromebook is so handy is because I can use Velocity Go, Discovery Channel and The History Channel through Comcast with no issues. :)
Night Wing
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Night Wing »

otacon14112 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:38 pmThose are interesting links. Thanks for sharing them. Is the webcam on a tower? It seems really high up.
The houses at the small town of Crystal Beach, Tx; they are all beach houses. Which means the base of the houses are on 12' high stilts.

The webcam is located on a 2 story beach house where the webcam is attached to a railing on the outside deck of the house and pointed at the beach. So the webcam sits about 24' high off the ground.
Linux Mint 21.3 (Virginia) Xfce
MX Linux 23.2 (Libretto) Xfce
Linux Debian 12.5 (Bookworm) Xfce
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

But I think of doing what AndyMH had done as well, who connected his notebook to an external bigger screen.
You can pick up a T430 docking station from ebay for about £10. Mine is driving an LG ultrawide monitor (2560x1080) - outstanding. Use a wireless microsoft ergonomic keyboard and mouse. MS do good peripherals :)
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
kenetics
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kenetics »

I have a couple of desktops that I put together, mostly from discarded or hand-me-down parts from my son who is a gamer. One is a 32 bit, but still runs nicely with Peppermint OS. I think desktops are more ergonomically friendly, at least for me, and I like a bigger monitor than most laptops have. Plus, I dislike depending on batteries!

I also have a cheap Samsung Chromebook. Chromebooks are lot more useful now that they can run most of the apps from the Google play store. I've used it for streaming football games to a projection TV.
Using Mint as primary OS since 2006.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

I dislike depending on batteries!
Having just had a four hour power cut (strong winds in southern Britain - not that it takes much) I am very glad I've got battery power. Router and switches kept going thanks to the UPS and laptops still working!
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

AndyMH wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:11 am
I dislike depending on batteries!
Having just had a four hour power cut (strong winds in southern Britain - not that it takes much) I am very glad I've got battery power. Router and switches kept going thanks to the UPS and laptops still working!
I bought my first UPS sometime around 1999, and I've had one (or more) ever since.

I bought another UPS just for my router and modem, and I've probably been through two of them now, but it's fantastic to have a power outage and still be able to make use of the Internet for things. Florida has issues with power outages and surges during the summer due to storms, and so active protection of electronics is a must.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Post by sleeper12 »

I have 5 old laptops. One has Mint 19, two have Mint 18, another has Antix & the last has Puppy Linux. I mainly use the Mint ones just because I'm more comfortable with Mint than Antix/Puppy. I mostly use a mouse, but use touchpad in a pinch.
majpooper
Level 8
Level 8

Post by majpooper »

My daily driver is an old 8 or so year old HP desktop with an AMD 8 core Bulldozer CPU and 16G of RAM running LMDE3. Still a great machine.

My wife desktop is a 4 year old HP with an i7 CPU and 16G of RAM and running Mint 19.1

We both like desktops because we like multiple monitors - both have two 27 inch monitors and I have an HDMI connection to a third 46 inch flat screen TV.

I also bought a refurbished Thinkpad T400 with a Intel 2 core CPU and 4G of RAM for $130 and running Mint 19.0 as my PiHole server. Almost as cheap as running PiHole off a RaspberryPi and more convenient.

Our kitchen counter desk and former travel laptop is a Thinkpad T430 with an i7 CPU and 8G of RAM running LMDE3.

My wife has an iPad which she literally never uses and we travel with our iPhones for emails etc. - no more packing up a laptop.
Dot_mdb
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Dot_mdb »

My main machine is a custom built tower. It started with 4GB RAM and an i5 processor and dual monitors. It also had two WD Black hard drives. It was a Windows 8.1 machine for about a year until that started to drive me crazy and I went to dual boot with Mint Cinnamon 17.1 which was later upgraded to 17.3. Eventually when I installed 18.3 I decided to ditch the dual boot. I also made some upgrades to the machine. The two hard drives were pulled and two Crucial SSD drives were installed. I also upped the RAM to 8GB. And then in effort to get a quiet machine I pulled out the original power supply and put in a Focus Gold 550FX power supply. The end result is a virtually silent machine.

The tower sits on the top shelf of the three shelf unit with wheels. That makes it easy to pull it away from the wall to work on connections in the back. I've also learned that computers stay much cleaner when they are not on the floor especially if you have pets that shed.

I have another tower, a Lenovo, i5, 8GB that is a dedicated Windows 10 machine. It doesn't get much use except for Turbotax, Garmin and occasionally iTunes. I also use that machine for the occasional Skype session but also have Skype running in Linux on various laptops.

Bill
Tomgin5
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Tomgin5 »

I have a couple dozen laptops and netbooks that I have resurrected from windows bricks.
sizes from 8" to 21" from 8GB HDD's to 3 TB. All running Linux!. I have 1 desktop at the moment. All functional!
Primarily I use a quad core AMD Samsung Laptop. This one is a single core atom N470 Running XFCE 19.1 64.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Wish I could afford these high-performance components but not so at present, so have a few old desktops awaiting repair & am currently using old scraptops for "fixed" systems i.e. desktop replacements, with monitors, keyboards & mice attached and my netbooks for portable use.

One of these days I'll get round to ordering the replacement capacitors necessary for getting my half-decent AMD Athlon system running again as well as a few other electronic items .. :roll: the Athlon runs Mint Xfce really well despite its hardware limitations (including being 32-bit only, as far as I can tell).

I do have a tablet but haven't used it in around 2 years; I borked it by removing the supposedly unneeded "Recovery" partition to create the necessary space to actually be able to update the Win system on there & have a bit of space for user data. Didn't get round to fixing it which was the plan prior to simply getting rid of the MS OS (purely to prove it could be done) and subsequently misplaced it.

Phones are, at least for me, for direct contact i.e. phone calls and text messages. That's why they are called telephones, isn't it?

[rant]
Touch screens? UGH. It's already a losing battle trying to keep NON-touch screens clean and free of fingerprints and other cruft. Apart from that, how much more difficult and expensive is it to replace a scuffed (i.e. ruined) display unit compared to a keyboard (worn keycaps? still no problem, they still work) .. and keep in mind that a keyboard was always intended as an INPUT device, a screen an OUTPUT device .. :roll: :|
[/rant]
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Chat about Linux”