19.1 Cinnamon: how can I disable highlighting of desktop files when hovering?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

19.1 Cinnamon: how can I disable highlighting of desktop files when hovering?

Post by Pjotr » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:50 am

Something that I find irritating: whenever I hover with the mouse pointer on desktop shortcuts or on files on the desktop, that shortcut or file gets highlighted.

I don't want that to happen. Does anyone know how to disable this feature in Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon? It's probably something simple, but I searched for it to no avail....
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

greerd
Level 6
Level 6

Re: 19.1 Cinnamon: how can I disable highlighting of desktop files when hovering?

Post by greerd » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:36 pm

Hi Pjotr,

I think you're sol, I looked around dconf Editor (org/nemo/desktop) but nothing there. Have you thought about not showing the desktop icons?

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Re: 19.1 Cinnamon: how can I disable highlighting of desktop files when hovering?

Post by smurphos » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:41 pm

viewtopic.php?p=1599949#p1599949

Should get you started. Not near my machine right now to play but background-color: transparent; will probably be useful.

Edit to add - not sure how to get rid of the hover effect on the icon itself....the hover effect on the label can be controlled as outlined in the link.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:32 pm

Pjotr, Is it weird that I don't get this action? I just downloaded today and don't see this happening. I copied over a png, and a .doc and niether does what you are saying. You think they changed it already? I did create my bootable USB Manually as a hybrid, not that that would matter as I've seen some crazy stuff with Mint iso's. Almost every Mate Install or live session of Mate I've done for years would have issues where the File Manager would get stuck in the panel, when Minimized, after opening the Desktop Menu, closing it and then trying to Maximize the File Manager again. I hope you little irritating issue will go away.
HP Series HST NN-104C Bussiness Notebook nx7400, KDE 17.1-64BIT
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB of RAM

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:29 am

pcpunk wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:32 pm
Pjotr, Is it weird that I don't get this action?
Mate or Cinnamon? Either way its weird.

Both have an icon highlight effect out of the box on hover on desktop icons. It's the same one as you get in the file manager in icon view when you hover an icon. A slight brightening of the icons colors. Do you not see that? I don't know how to disable that. I'm assuming that is what is bothering Pjotr.

Nemo-desktop in Cinnamon also has some hardcoded css that out of the box that causes the icon label background to be highlighted on hover. If that is what is bothering Pjotr then that effect can be modified by adding user specific css to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:12 am

smurphos wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:29 am
Nemo-desktop in Cinnamon also has some hardcoded css that out of the box that causes the icon label background to be highlighted on hover. If that is what is bothering Pjotr then that effect can be modified by adding user specific css to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css
I'll try that, thanks.... :)
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.2 Tina
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:57 am

smurphos wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:29 am
pcpunk wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:32 pm
Pjotr, Is it weird that I don't get this action?
Mate or Cinnamon? Either way its weird.

Do you not see that?
Cinnamon of course! I do not see that, I wonder why? I'll take another look if it helps anyone.
HP Series HST NN-104C Bussiness Notebook nx7400, KDE 17.1-64BIT
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB of RAM

smurphos
Level 12
Level 12

Post by smurphos » Wed Mar 13, 2019 3:05 pm

ImageImage
This is the effect - note the brightening of the icon coloring. I've got the label effect disabled in css in this screenie.

Return to “Cinnamon”