mp3 and package manager

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Redtail

mp3 and package manager

Post by Redtail »

Hello,

I'd like to find out how to convert music to mp3. How do I also make the package manager ask password whenever I open it, as of now it only ask you once.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DataMan

Re: mp3 and package manager

Post by DataMan »

Redtail,

You forgot one small detail.... what are you converting from... :D ?

Without that piece of information (may affect the recommendations), I'll tell you what I use. For general conversion from say ogg to mp3, etc, I use soundconverter (it's in the repro's). For ripping CD audio's , I use SoundJuicer. I'm just getting started with Exact Audio Copy running in Wine. For making audio CDs from say ogg or mp3, I use k3b.

Provide more details if the above doesn't meet your needs.

DataMan
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

As for the password issue, it's a feature of sudo that there's a "timeout" of 15 minutes where it won't ask for password. You can tweak this using the "timestamp_timeout" integer option as defined in man sudoers.
Redtail

Post by Redtail »

It's for ripping audio cd's to mp3. I tried to find soundjuicer on software manager and synaptics but it's not there. As for the timestamp_timeout for the software password could you pls. tell me how to exactly do that. Thanks. I appreciate it.
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

Try searching on "sound-juicer".

-DataMan
Redtail

Post by Redtail »

I tried sound juicer it doesn't work for me. What about k3b, I t to ried using it too but it's giving me an error about encoding. I was browsing through the forums and I have to install lib something. Tried looking for it on synaptics but I'm unable to find it.

By the way, I am using a laptop hpze5270, dual boot with windows xp home.
terdon

Post by terdon »

Install grip:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install grip
It is a simple and straightforward CD ripper.
Redtail

Post by Redtail »

I tried using Grip. If I use ogg there's no problem.But when I choose mp3, this is what I get. Which one should I choose mp3encode or xingmp3enc. When I choose either of them I get this error message, "Invalid encoder executable. Check your encoder config, and ensure it specifies the full path to the encoder executable."

How do I make it save to the the folder I want? Thanks.
terdon

Post by terdon »

For mp3 encoding, click on the "config" tab on grip, then "Encode" and choose lame from the "Encoder" drop down menu.

If lame is not installed do:

sudo apt-get install lame
Oh, and the "Encode file format" oddly enough is where you set the directory encoded files (mp3s in this case) should be saved. for example:
~/music/%A/%d/%n.%x
Where "~/" is your $HOME directory (/home/username), "%A" is the artist name for the disk, %d the album (disk) name, "%n" the track name and "%x" the extension (.mp3). See the grip help files for more information.
Redtail

Post by Redtail »

Still the same thing the same invalid error code.
terdon

Post by terdon »

Hi, sorry it took me so long but I was away from my computer for a while. So, have you installed lame as per my post? If lame is indeed installed, go to the encoder config tab in grip and check that when the lame option is selected, the lame executable is set to /usr/bin/lame .

If it is and you still get errors. Please open a terminal, type

which lame
This will tell you where the lame executable is. If it is not /usr/bin/lame, change your config accordingly.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

Try Asunder. Probably you should install it "by hand" with GDebi. The debian package is here
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
terdon

Post by terdon »

Asunder also uses lame for encoding. So try it by all means but you may still get the same error unless you have lame properly installed.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by linuxviolin »

terdon wrote:Asunder also uses lame for encoding. So try it by all means but you may still get the same error unless you have lame properly installed.
I guess in Mint lame is installed by default but if problem you can try to reinstall it.
Last edited by linuxviolin on Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
Redtail

Post by Redtail »

Guys,

I finally made it work. I followed terdon's instruction changing the lame executable. Thanks guys.. :D
BubbaBlues

Post by BubbaBlues »

I tried installing grip and I got this.
mark@mark-desktop ~ $ sudo apt-get install grip
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package grip is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package grip has no installation candidate

I've tried asunder and RipOff and both seem to be working fine until about 30% done and then they just stop and sit there doing nothing.
I have sound juicer but I don't like it because there is no way to set a byte rate for mp3. Any suggestions? Anyone? :?
spegru
Level 3
Level 3

Post by spegru »

Thanks to Rapido in Ubuntu forums http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... ost8803766 you can install Grip

Code
wget http://www.shiftingheat.com/packages/ub ... install.sh
sh grip_install.sh

Step by step (but note the update mod) this look like

Update your system

Code
# download grip 3.3.1 source
wget http://downloads.sourceforge.net/projec ... uperb-dca2

# unpack
tar -xzvf grip-3.3.1.tar.gz
cd grip-3.3.1

# get the dependencies
sudo apt-get install libgnomeui-dev libvte-dev libcurl3-dev

# build and install
./configure
make
sudo make install

# install other useful libraries
sudo apt-get install lame flac

I modded the step by step becuase the update does not work with Mint - it got to 99% and hung - searching: lots of Get, Ign and Hit statements after grip-3.3.1/grip.desktop

I followed the step by step process and discovered that it was hanging at apt-get update. This is no doubt because there is some kind of conflict between Mint8 and Ubuntu9.10 repos.
So since my system was already up to date, I simply skipped this step and continued, It works fine!

Return to “Beginner Questions”