Mint Box links stale? <SOLVED>

Questions about the project and the distribution - obviously no support questions here please
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jharris1993
Level 3
Level 3

Mint Box links stale? <SOLVED>

Post by jharris1993 »

Greetings!

Ref: I noticed when clicking through some of your ads that the links for the Mint-Box are stale.

The link to your blog post for the mint box that shows up as an advertisement is this: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2055. It references an old article, (circa Mint 13), and has a link that should take you to a purchase page.

This link, http://www.fit-pc.com/web/purchase/orde ... t-mintbox/ is the one on the blog page, which ultimately resolves to a link that does you no good whatsoever, (https://fit-iot.com/web/#buymbm2), it being a generic page for the Fitlet2.

After doing some digging, I DID find a "Mint-Box" page, (https://fit-iot.com/web/products/mbm2/#buymbm2 - it's subtly different from the above link), that shows and features the Mint-Box, but suggests you buy it from Amazon. Part of the draw for buying a Mint box is that the Mint project gets a cut of the sales. Is this still true?

Perhaps you want to update the link on the original blog posting to point to the correct page for the Mint box?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Jim "JR"

Some see things as they are, and ask "Why?"
I dream things that never were, and ask "Why Not".

Robert F. Kennedy

“Impossible” is only found in the dictionary of a fool.
Old Chinese Proverb
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Mint Box links stale?

Post by xenopeek »

The blog is for news and announcements. The store page on the Linux Mint website lists what's currently in production. Here for the MintBox line: https://linuxmint.com/store_mintbox.php. I don't know that it matters through what store you purchase the product.
jharris1993
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jharris1993 »

Thanks!

I guess the point I was trying to make is that one of the pop-up ads on the site - for the Mint Box - takes you down the rabbit hole to somewhere that doesn't help.

How do I/we go about getting it fixed?
Jim "JR"

Robert F. Kennedy

Old Chinese Proverb
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

You caught me. I read too quickly :) Sorry. I've seen to it that this link will be removed from the ads. Thanks!
jharris1993
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jharris1993 »

Don't remove it, update it!

We want people to have an opportunity to do things to help support Mint.

BTW, does Mint's site generate "pay-by-click" ad revenue? I hope so, because though I may not need hosting in the UK, nor be able to afford the few hundred for the latest Mint box, I like to do some click-through's to help toss something your way - aside form the occasional brew or pizza I can send.
Jim "JR"

Robert F. Kennedy

Old Chinese Proverb
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Linux Mint does not run ads for itself on the website, so this isn't something we control. We can't place from where the ad could be.

Should anyone see this ad again, could you take as screenshot and share it?
jharris1993
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jharris1993 »

xenopeek wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:09 pm Linux Mint does not run ads for itself on the website, so this isn't something we control. We can't place from where the ad could be.

Should anyone see this ad again, could you take as screenshot and share it?
They're easy to get. Just go to the main Mint web page and look at the bottom large-box advertisement on the right-hand side. Click refresh and you will (eventually) see all five ads in the rotation. (I think there are five - that's all I've seen so far.)

I grabbed screen shots of each page with the advert shown, and have included a document that has the base page the ads link to.

Hope it helps.

Oops! It won't let me upload anything of any reasonable size at all. Instead I have created a shared folder on Mediafire that has each screenshot, the document with the links each ad jumps to, and a ZIP file containing everything in a folder named "Mint Advertisements". (Created on Win7-64 bit using 7-zip)

I'm a "paid" member so this should persist until I delete it.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9qx1ptjh153rf/

P.S. I included where the advertisement links to - it's landing page. I have no idea who generates the content for that box (i.e. The source of the advertisements in that box.). You have to either use wireshark or talk to the web site admin.
Jim "JR"

Robert F. Kennedy

Old Chinese Proverb
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Thanks so much!
jharris1993
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jharris1993 »

Absolutely no problemo - if I have helped you, consider it a very small installment on what I owe from the help you've given me!

Let me know if there's anything else I can do.
Jim "JR"

Robert F. Kennedy

Old Chinese Proverb
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Work on the new website caused a bit confusion as to what is where on the current website. Thanks again for sticking with me. The MintBox link is replaced with this one: https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3528
jharris1993
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Mint Box links stale? <Almost SOLVED>

Post by jharris1993 »

Excellent!

Now all you have to do is update the picture: https://linuxmint.com/tmp/blog/3528/thumb_mini2_2.png

<off-topic>
(I'd love if you could append this to the comments on that page)

I read the comments on this blog, and - quite frankly - I really wish I could reach out and SMACK some of the people posting there!

A lot of the negative comments were about the choice of processor - Intel vs AMD - and some of them were pretty vicious. What really burns my biscuits about stuff like that is that none, repeat ZERO, of the people posting appear to have ANY experience with a hardware design project of any complexity.

I've done that. Maybe not so complex as a fanless PC, but I've done embedded controller design projects back before "embedded controller" and "i2C" were buzz-words. And it's not easy. There's always trade-offs that have to be made. Sure, Compulab would LOVE to put a full-spec i7 processor in their boxes, (or an AMD Ryzen unlocked monster), but - at it's most basic level, they're BIG - and PC board real-estate is not unlimited.

The power budget for a machine that size is not something that can be taken for granted. In fact, it can become incredibly complex. The Raspberry Pi Foundation discovered that quickly with the Pi-3. All of a sudden power supplies that would power the Pi-2 comfortably, were now woefully inadequate.

The system's heat budget isn't as simple as it sounds either. All of those big "Bad Boy" processors generate heat - lots of heat - and cooling them isn't a trivial exercise. It doesn't make sense to build a fanless system if the only way to cool it is to drop it in liquid nitrogen. :roll:

The choice of processor? OK, maybe at the time these postings were made, AMD had a low-power Ryzen-based SOC on the horizon, but "on the horizon" doesn't sell boxes. "On the horizon" doesn't cut it with FCC / UL / C-mark / European qualification testing either. And all that testing takes time. LOTS of time. And LOTS of money. They needed to find something available THEN, not "on the horizon" - with enough lead time to test, fail, re-test, re-fail, and then finally pass all the qualification testing for all the markets they want to sell it in. Even if you get lucky and pass all the tests first time, all of that testing can take almost a year to complete. And they still haven't sold a single box yet to offset the boatloads of money they're pouring into it.

OK, it pukes when tested with the Cinebench benchmark test? Jeez! What'd you expect?! If you want to buy a pocket-sized system like that, and expect to run Blender in full render mode, you've got wires loose.

What's it good for then?
  • I can see kiosk-based systems scrambling to get a box like that.
  • It fits the back of any reasonable - and some unreasonable - flat-screen monitors, so it would make a great office workstation, Point-Of-Sale endpoint, public system, etc. etc. etc. It has more I/O ports than a cat has hair, so you can plug in stuff like displays, bar-code scanners, payment card readers, etc.
  • It sips power and can handle the full MIL-STD temperature range - and it's built like a brick latrine - so you could use it in virtually any industrial application. What's exceptional about that system in this context is that - normally - an industrial-grade machine that can handle that kind of temperature range would cost thousands of dollars - and that for the stripped-down version.
  • It (supposedly) runs Mint like it was designed for it. And it was! If I had a place for it, (and my wife would let me spend the money), my wallet would come flying outta my jeans so fast it would leave scorch marks!
</off-topic>

Great work finding and fixing this, and a top-notch job by Compulabs!
Jim "JR"

Robert F. Kennedy

Old Chinese Proverb

Return to “Non-technical Questions”