Why did you decide to install Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by MurphCID » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:40 am

Mint just works. 'nuff said.

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9487
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by catweazel » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:43 am

MurphCID wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:40 am
Mint just works. 'nuff said.
So does Windwoes.

Horses for courses.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by MurphCID » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:54 am

catweazel wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:43 am
MurphCID wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:40 am
Mint just works. 'nuff said.
So does Windwoes.

Horses for courses.
Yeah, 45 minute updates, seven hour upgrades (if it works), spyware, bloatware, and did I mention spyware?

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9487
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by catweazel » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:55 am

MurphCID wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:54 am
catweazel wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:43 am
MurphCID wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:40 am
Mint just works. 'nuff said.
So does Windwoes.

Horses for courses.
Yeah, 45 minute updates, seven hour upgrades (if it works), spyware, bloatware, and did I mention spyware?
Well, yes, but it still works. People wouldn't use it otherwise.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by MurphCID » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:14 am

catweazel wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:55 am
MurphCID wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:54 am
catweazel wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:43 am


So does Windwoes.

Horses for courses.
Yeah, 45 minute updates, seven hour upgrades (if it works), spyware, bloatware, and did I mention spyware?
Well, yes, but it still works. People wouldn't use it otherwise.
I agree, but man is it annoying.

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9487
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by catweazel » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:19 am

MurphCID wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:14 am
catweazel wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:55 am
MurphCID wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:54 am


Yeah, 45 minute updates, seven hour upgrades (if it works), spyware, bloatware, and did I mention spyware?
Well, yes, but it still works. People wouldn't use it otherwise.
I agree, but man is it annoying.
lol - yes. After using linux and having all the customisation options available, Windwoes is quite ugly and very ungainly.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

User avatar
BG405
Level 7
Level 7
Posts: 1884
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:09 pm
Location: England

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by BG405 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:53 pm

Muscularwombats wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:22 am
Manjaro unfortunately had 2 separate bugs on their main/stable repo that took down my system twice within a month (maybe two months).
...
Unfortunate as I really love the pacman package manager, as well as the amazing AUR
Were those bugs during the second half of 2018 by any chance? I had one which screwed up the graphics display, couldn't even get a useable display in a TTY which is a real show-stopper unless I could have fixed it via chroot .. in fact, Manjaro has a rather easy-to-use tool for this .. "mhwd-chroot" .. I didn't bother in that case & reinstalled, preserving /home and /DATA partitions.

Whilst I fully agree that Pacman is great, there are a few issues with "dependency hell" still present with regards to the packages available in the AUR. This is to be expected I think but, some stuff is evidently easier to install on Ubuntu-based systems as a result, even if it isn't necessarily the latest version. With rolling-release OSes like Manjaro, one must remember to update the system AND reboot before installing new packages, not a real issue with point-releases like Mint. That is also a consideration to take into account when choosing your OS & is easily overlooked. I did.
catweazel wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:19 am
After using linux and having all the customisation options available, Windwoes is quite ugly and very ungainly.
Two serious understatements there IMHO .. :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 4GB - Manjaro KDE, LM17.3 KDE 32
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------K7S5A AMD 1.2GHz - LM17.3 Xfce 32 & WinXP-Pro
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Dell PII 350 64MB - Puppy 4.3 & Win98-SE

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9487
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by catweazel » Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:43 am

BG405 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:53 pm
catweazel wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:19 am
After using linux and having all the customisation options available, Windwoes is quite ugly and very ungainly.
Two serious understatements there IMHO .. :mrgreen:
Only because the mods would be on to me if I used the applicable expletives :)

<aside>
Hi, mods! :)
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

User avatar
lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2424
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:07 pm
Location: Rural South Australia

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by lsemmens » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:33 am

I had the misfortune today to have to install gimp in a windwoes machine. My grandson had to post a photo montage for schoolwork. Simple, so I thought, none of the apps supplied (by the school) worked as intended. In the end I loaded Gimp which did, in the end, do exactly as intended. However....the windoze interface is no where as clean and tidy as that of Mint. I wish I could install Linux on his machine and let him use that, However, the school supplies the machine and only supports M$ with their apps.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by MurphCID » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:45 am

Dependency h*ll is and was a major Linux problem, and I think it really hurt the adoption of Linux vice Winders. I remember that from my early days with Mandrake Linux.

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by MurphCID » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:46 am

catweazel wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:43 am
BG405 wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:53 pm
catweazel wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:19 am
After using linux and having all the customisation options available, Windwoes is quite ugly and very ungainly.
Two serious understatements there IMHO .. :mrgreen:
Only because the mods would be on to me if I used the applicable expletives :)

<aside>
Hi, mods! :)
Tell us how you REALLY feel :) I still have Winders for Photoshop, iTunes, and games.

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9487
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by catweazel » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:56 am

MurphCID wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:46 am
Tell us how you REALLY feel :) I still have Winders for Photoshop, iTunes, and games.
Windwoes 10 deserves a thorough ridiculing... the installation process goes like this...
Create a super memorable password
Make sure to pick something you'll absolutely remember.
On the next screen you are forced to...
Create security questions for this account
Just in case you forget your password, choose 3 questions, and make sure your answers are unforgettable.
On another screen you must deselect six options, including...
Tailored experiences
Let Microsoft offer you tailored experiences based on the diagnostic data you have chosen (either basic or full). Tailored experiences mean personalised tips, ads and recommendations to enhance Microsoft products and services to your needs.
Talk about invasive. And the gobbledegook. How they can class what sites I visit or products I view as 'diagnostic' is beyond me.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by MurphCID » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:21 am

catweazel wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:56 am
MurphCID wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:46 am
Tell us how you REALLY feel :) I still have Winders for Photoshop, iTunes, and games.
Windwoes 10 deserves a thorough ridiculing... the installation process goes like this...
Create a super memorable password
Make sure to pick something you'll absolutely remember.
On the next screen you are forced to...
Create security questions for this account
Just in case you forget your password, choose 3 questions, and make sure your answers are unforgettable.
On another screen you must deselect six options, including...
Tailored experiences
Let Microsoft offer you tailored experiences based on the diagnostic data you have chosen (either basic or full). Tailored experiences mean personalised tips, ads and recommendations to enhance Microsoft products and services to your needs.
Talk about invasive. And the gobbledegook. How they can class what sites I visit or products I view as 'diagnostic' is beyond me.
LOL! ;) This is so true, and funny. No, I don't want to have a Microsoft account, NO! I don't want you to track me everywhere!, No! I don't want to give you diagnostic data! Ugh.

mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4
Posts: 370
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:28 pm

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by mediclaser » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:04 am

MurphCID wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:45 am
Dependency h*ll is and was a major Linux problem, and I think it really hurt the adoption of Linux vice Winders. I remember that from my early days with Mandrake Linux.
Linus Torvalds mentioned something like this in a Q&A session (DebConf 14?) on the reasons why Linux has not overtaken the desktop yet (and probably never will).
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by MurphCID » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:40 am

mediclaser wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:04 am
MurphCID wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:45 am
Dependency h*ll is and was a major Linux problem, and I think it really hurt the adoption of Linux vice Winders. I remember that from my early days with Mandrake Linux.
Linus Torvalds mentioned something like this in a Q&A session (DebConf 14?) on the reasons why Linux has not overtaken the desktop yet (and probably never will).
Mint really goes a long way to fixing this problem, and I, personally think, that Mint is ready for Prime Time. I remember the agony in Mandrake of trying to find (and understand) what I needed to load a program, and make it work. What dependencies I needed, and where to go find them. It made me give up.

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9487
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by catweazel » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:46 am

MurphCID wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:40 am
Mint really goes a long way to fixing this problem, and I, personally think, that Mint is ready for Prime Time. I remember the agony in Mandrake of trying to find (and understand) what I needed to load a program, and make it work. What dependencies I needed, and where to go find them. It made me give up.
Only the most hardened geek wouldn't walk away from that :)
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by MurphCID » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:48 am

catweazel wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:46 am
MurphCID wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:40 am
Mint really goes a long way to fixing this problem, and I, personally think, that Mint is ready for Prime Time. I remember the agony in Mandrake of trying to find (and understand) what I needed to load a program, and make it work. What dependencies I needed, and where to go find them. It made me give up.
Only the most hardened geek wouldn't walk away from that :)
I did not (and still do not) qualify as a hardened geek. I am a newbie and admit it. I am constantly in awe of you guys.

User avatar
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19
Posts: 9487
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:44 pm
Location: Australian Antarctic Territory

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by catweazel » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:08 am

MurphCID wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:48 am
I did not (and still do not) qualify as a hardened geek. I am a newbie and admit it. I am constantly in awe of you guys.
The only thing to be awed at is google-fu lol
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

User avatar
lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8
Posts: 2424
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:07 pm
Location: Rural South Australia

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by lsemmens » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:09 am

MurphCID wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:46 am
Tell us how you REALLY feel :) I still have Winders for Photoshop, iTunes, and games.
Gimp is plenty good enough to replace photoshop.
If you must rely on bits of fruit, you deserve what you get. (FWIW, SWMBO has a couple of bits of fruit and neither of them rely on iTunes to talk to any computers in our home.
games: I thought only kids played games. ;)
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

User avatar
MurphCID
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 942
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by MurphCID » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:15 am

lsemmens wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:09 am
MurphCID wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:46 am
Tell us how you REALLY feel :) I still have Winders for Photoshop, iTunes, and games.
Gimp is plenty good enough to replace photoshop.
If you must rely on bits of fruit, you deserve what you get. (FWIW, SWMBO has a couple of bits of fruit and neither of them rely on iTunes to talk to any computers in our home.
games: I thought only kids played games. ;)
lol

Post Reply

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”