Why did you decide to install Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by MurphCID »

catweazel wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:43 am
MurphCID wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:40 am Mint just works. 'nuff said.
So does Windwoes.

Horses for courses.
Yeah, 45 minute updates, seven hour upgrades (if it works), spyware, bloatware, and did I mention spyware?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:54 am
MurphCID wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:40 am Mint just works. 'nuff said.
So does Windwoes.

Horses for courses.
Yeah, 45 minute updates, seven hour upgrades (if it works), spyware, bloatware, and did I mention spyware?
Well, yes, but it still works. People wouldn't use it otherwise.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

catweazel wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:55 am

So does Windwoes.

Horses for courses.
I agree, but man is it annoying.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MurphCID wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:14 am
catweazel wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:55 am

I agree, but man is it annoying.
lol - yes. After using linux and having all the customisation options available, Windwoes is quite ugly and very ungainly.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

Muscularwombats wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:22 am Manjaro unfortunately had 2 separate bugs on their main/stable repo that took down my system twice within a month (maybe two months).
Unfortunate as I really love the pacman package manager, as well as the amazing AUR
Were those bugs during the second half of 2018 by any chance? I had one which screwed up the graphics display, couldn't even get a useable display in a TTY which is a real show-stopper unless I could have fixed it via chroot .. in fact, Manjaro has a rather easy-to-use tool for this .. "mhwd-chroot" .. I didn't bother in that case & reinstalled, preserving /home and /DATA partitions.

Whilst I fully agree that Pacman is great, there are a few issues with "dependency hell" still present with regards to the packages available in the AUR. This is to be expected I think but, some stuff is evidently easier to install on Ubuntu-based systems as a result, even if it isn't necessarily the latest version. With rolling-release OSes like Manjaro, one must remember to update the system AND reboot before installing new packages, not a real issue with point-releases like Mint. That is also a consideration to take into account when choosing your OS & is easily overlooked. I did.
catweazel wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:19 am After using linux and having all the customisation options available, Windwoes is quite ugly and very ungainly.
Two serious understatements there IMHO .. :mrgreen:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

BG405 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:53 pm
catweazel wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:19 am After using linux and having all the customisation options available, Windwoes is quite ugly and very ungainly.
Only because the mods would be on to me if I used the applicable expletives :)

<aside>
Hi, mods! :)
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I had the misfortune today to have to install gimp in a windwoes machine. My grandson had to post a photo montage for schoolwork. Simple, so I thought, none of the apps supplied (by the school) worked as intended. In the end I loaded Gimp which did, in the end, do exactly as intended. However....the Windows interface is no where as clean and tidy as that of Mint. I wish I could install Linux on his machine and let him use that, However, the school supplies the machine and only supports M$ with their apps.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

Dependency h*ll is and was a major Linux problem, and I think it really hurt the adoption of Linux vice Windows. I remember that from my early days with Mandrake Linux.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

catweazel wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:43 am
BG405 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:53 pm
Only because the mods would be on to me if I used the applicable expletives :)

<aside>
Hi, mods! :)
Tell us how you REALLY feel :) I still have Windows for Photoshop, iTunes, and games.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:46 am Tell us how you REALLY feel :) I still have Windows for Photoshop, iTunes, and games.
Windwoes 10 deserves a thorough ridiculing... the installation process goes like this...
Create a super memorable password
Make sure to pick something you'll absolutely remember.
On the next screen you are forced to...
Create security questions for this account
Just in case you forget your password, choose 3 questions, and make sure your answers are unforgettable.
On another screen you must deselect six options, including...
Tailored experiences
Let Microsoft offer you tailored experiences based on the diagnostic data you have chosen (either basic or full). Tailored experiences mean personalised tips, ads and recommendations to enhance Microsoft products and services to your needs.
Talk about invasive. And the gobbledegook. How they can class what sites I visit or products I view as 'diagnostic' is beyond me.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

catweazel wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:56 am
MurphCID wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:46 am Tell us how you REALLY feel :) I still have Windows for Photoshop, iTunes, and games.
Windwoes 10 deserves a thorough ridiculing... the installation process goes like this...
Create a super memorable password
Make sure to pick something you'll absolutely remember.
On the next screen you are forced to...
Create security questions for this account
Just in case you forget your password, choose 3 questions, and make sure your answers are unforgettable.
On another screen you must deselect six options, including...
Tailored experiences
Let Microsoft offer you tailored experiences based on the diagnostic data you have chosen (either basic or full). Tailored experiences mean personalised tips, ads and recommendations to enhance Microsoft products and services to your needs.
Talk about invasive. And the gobbledegook. How they can class what sites I visit or products I view as 'diagnostic' is beyond me.
LOL! ;) This is so true, and funny. No, I don't want to have a Microsoft account, NO! I don't want you to track me everywhere!, No! I don't want to give you diagnostic data! Ugh.
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

MurphCID wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:45 am Dependency h*ll is and was a major Linux problem, and I think it really hurt the adoption of Linux vice Windows. I remember that from my early days with Mandrake Linux.
Linus Torvalds mentioned something like this in a Q&A session (DebConf 14?) on the reasons why Linux has not overtaken the desktop yet (and probably never will).
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

mediclaser wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:04 am
MurphCID wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:45 am Dependency h*ll is and was a major Linux problem, and I think it really hurt the adoption of Linux vice Windows. I remember that from my early days with Mandrake Linux.
Linus Torvalds mentioned something like this in a Q&A session (DebConf 14?) on the reasons why Linux has not overtaken the desktop yet (and probably never will).
Mint really goes a long way to fixing this problem, and I, personally think, that Mint is ready for Prime Time. I remember the agony in Mandrake of trying to find (and understand) what I needed to load a program, and make it work. What dependencies I needed, and where to go find them. It made me give up.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:40 am Mint really goes a long way to fixing this problem, and I, personally think, that Mint is ready for Prime Time. I remember the agony in Mandrake of trying to find (and understand) what I needed to load a program, and make it work. What dependencies I needed, and where to go find them. It made me give up.
Only the most hardened geek wouldn't walk away from that :)
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

catweazel wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:46 am
MurphCID wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:40 am Mint really goes a long way to fixing this problem, and I, personally think, that Mint is ready for Prime Time. I remember the agony in Mandrake of trying to find (and understand) what I needed to load a program, and make it work. What dependencies I needed, and where to go find them. It made me give up.
Only the most hardened geek wouldn't walk away from that :)
I did not (and still do not) qualify as a hardened geek. I am a newbie and admit it. I am constantly in awe of you guys.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

MurphCID wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:48 am I did not (and still do not) qualify as a hardened geek. I am a newbie and admit it. I am constantly in awe of you guys.
The only thing to be awed at is google-fu lol
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Gimp is plenty good enough to replace photoshop.
If you must rely on bits of fruit, you deserve what you get. (FWIW, SWMBO has a couple of bits of fruit and neither of them rely on iTunes to talk to any computers in our home.
games: I thought only kids played games. ;)
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:09 am
If you must rely on bits of fruit, you deserve what you get. (FWIW, SWMBO has a couple of bits of fruit and neither of them rely on iTunes to talk to any computers in our home.
games: I thought only kids played games. ;)
lol
mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser »

lsemmens wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:09 am
This is very true. Of course my photo editing skills is very basic, but GIMP lets me do everything I did with Photoshop:
- Curves / exposure adjustment
- Retouching (healing, cloning, etc.)
- Vignette
- Sharpening
- White balance

The only thing I'm missing (and it is very important) is a RAW converter that is as easy to use as Canon DPP. The only reason I use RAW is to get something better than the out-of-camera JPEG quality. But I can't even match the default JPEG quality using DarkTable or RawTherapee.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)
BG405
Level 8
Level 8

Post by BG405 »

catweazel wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 1:43 am if I used the applicable expletives :)
:lol:
Pity there isn't a "censored" smiley here, like this one ..
censored.gif
censored.gif (217 Bytes) Viewed 2720 times
:mrgreen:
lsemmens wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:33 am I had the misfortune today to have to install gimp in a windwoes machine. ...//.. However....the Windows interface is no where as clean and tidy as that of Mint.
I first started using GIMP some time before the switch to Linux, around 2011 or 2012 if I recall correctly. IMHO having to install anything on a Windows machine is something I'd rather not do. :roll: :mrgreen:
Not sure whether you meant GIMP's interface or Windows in general .. it's been a long time since I used GIMP on that OS. :wink:
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”