Project: sync tool

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Project: sync tool

Post by catweazel »

Progress report

I've got a basic working shell going.

I'll make another report when there's been sufficient progress. Don't forget, I'm open to ideas and suggestions, as well as still not being convinced about the name (Touchwood, with a toad for an icon), so if you have a name suggestion then that's most welcome.

Cheers.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

That looks really good so far on both dark and light themes. Could I be a bit cheeky though and ask how the program's label is presented for the titlebar to display? What I mean by this is did you set this explicitly or is it read from some config file? The reason I ask this is that sometimes incorrect program names show in the titlebar, in the course of my experimentation.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

BG405 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:47 pm That looks really good so far on both dark and light themes. Could I be a bit cheeky though and ask how the program's label is presented for the titlebar to display? What I mean by this is did you set this explicitly or is it read from some config file? The reason I ask this is that sometimes incorrect program names show in the titlebar, in the course of my experimentation.
You can be cheeky, several others have been today :)

Code: Select all

#include "mainwindow.h"
#include <QApplication>

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
    QApplication a(argc, argv);
    MainWindow w;

w.setWindowTitle("Touchwood");
    w.show();
    return a.exec();
}
I use a non-translatable string and explicitly set it in main().
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

BG405 wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:47 pm That looks really good so far on both dark and light themes.
Progressing slowly...

BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

That looks really good. Would fit in well with my KDE theme too.

Also, thanks for your previous post; sorry meant to reply before. Busy on here, isn't it!
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
Mintymandy34

Post by Mintymandy34 »

gm10 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:25 am Not sure I understand, for I know you can do GUI. You mean for Python/Gtk now?
catweazel wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 4:07 am Progressing slowly...

Wow, didn't know about Chronicle, it looks promising. :)
Where can I find more info about it?
And how many more tools are you keeping in that small arsenal of yours? :D
Thank you both. :)
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Mintymandy34 wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:18 pm Wow, didn't know about Chronicle, it looks promising. :)
Where can I find more info about it?
And how many more tools are you keeping in that small arsenal of yours? :D
Thank you both. :)
It's had a name change and the UI has been completely redone several times, but it's currently on the back-burner for a while. I haven't had time to return to it in the last 6 weeks or so.
Mintymandy34

Post by Mintymandy34 »

catweazel wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:50 am It's had a name change and the UI has been completely redone several times, but it's currently on the back-burner for a while. I haven't had time to return to it in the last 6 weeks or so.
Thanks for the information. :)
And thank you for working on this.
I'm sure, someday you will find some time and you'll complete this in a blitz. :D
This looks awesome. :)
Do we have a community page/thread where Mint users showcase their tools?
I would also like to find what others have come up with, but I don't know many people here and I don't know how I could find it.
Thanks for this.
And is Chronicle the final name?
What are you using for designing the GUI? :?:
Is Glade a viable choice for that?
Thanks. :D
And I love the expression you've on your face in that photo of yours.
Always brings me joy. :D
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Mintymandy34 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:12 am And is Chronicle the final name?
Athenaeum.
Qt, C++.
lol, cheers.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

catweazel wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:39 am
lol, cheers.
That photo of yours. :lol: I'll let that stand and wish you all a good morning. :)
Mintymandy34

Post by Mintymandy34 »

Mintymandy34 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:12 am And is Chronicle the final name?
Athenaeum.
Qt, C++.
lol, cheers.
Thanks. :D
gm10 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:51 am That photo of yours. :lol: I'll let that stand and wish you all a good morning. :)
Good morning, gm10. :D
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gm10 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:51 am
lol, cheers.
That photo of yours. :lol: I'll let that stand and wish you all a good morning. :)
And good evening to you. I'm still waiting for your tips on a decent python/gtk setup for development, btw.
Faust

Post by Faust »

catweazel wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:50 am
It's had a name change .....
Yes , I remember when you were asking for suggestions .
Mine wasn't very good ... :oops:

I hadn't forgotten about your project and I'll be willing to do some testing whenever you are ready .
I'm well accustomed to trashing systems and recovering them , hence my interest in trying new tools .
Reaching for Clonezilla and Timeshift have become knee-jerk reactions for me .... :lol:

Best wishes , and keep up the good work !
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Faust wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:39 am
catweazel wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:50 am
It's had a name change .....
Yes , I remember when you were asking for suggestions .
Mine wasn't very good ... :oops:

I hadn't forgotten about your project and I'll be willing to do some testing whenever you are ready .
I'm well accustomed to trashing systems and recovering them , hence my interest in trying new tools .
Reaching for Clonezilla and Timeshift have become knee-jerk reactions for me .... :lol:

Best wishes , and keep up the good work !
Thanks on both counts, and my code won't trash your system :)

I've done some testing with it being statically compiled and it works fine like that, which means you should only need to run it as an AppImage. I'll get there eventually.

Cheers.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

catweazel wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:12 am I'm still waiting for your tips on a decent python/gtk setup for development, btw.
And I was still waiting for you to confirm that that's what you actually meant. Since right now I'm not sure in which of the two threads the answer would be less off-topic I'll just keep it here:

The glade editor mentioned by Mintymandy34 is one tool that allows you to click together a UI. It creates an external resource file you can then load in python with a GtkBuilder object. It's likely easiest to start with that.

That aside: https://pygobject.readthedocs.io/en/latest/index.html and linked sites have all the API docs and some good tutorials. I'll point you to this part right away because it's important: https://pygobject.readthedocs.io/en/lat ... =threading

I'm sure you've got your own favourite IDE. Personally I prefer Microsoft's Visual Studio Code.

Last but not least, I suggest you install these:

Code: Select all

apt install build-essential python3-dev python3-pip
sudo -H pip3 install --upgrade pip
sudo -H pip3 install setuptools
sudo -H pip3 install pylint
pylint is one of several available linters for python. It integrates with many IDEs including VS Code.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gm10 wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:04 am
catweazel wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:12 am I'm still waiting for your tips on a decent python/gtk setup for development, btw.
And I was still waiting for you to confirm that that's what you actually meant. Since right now I'm not sure in which of the two threads the answer would be less off-topic I'll just keep it here:
lol

Many, many thanks. You've given me something to get my gums into this weekend.

At my age, people don't have teeth.
meToo

Post by meToo »

Good luck with this project, if you're still looking for a name, how about 'syncChief' which gives an clue to its purpose and AFAIN has not been used. One of the complaints I hear about linux is the strange names given to apps which obscure the function. Also could I ask you to consider at least one light theme, some users find dark themes with grey text difficult to read. I personally also like the Appimage approach, like portable apps on that other system, which sometimes consist of just one executable.

ATB, Mike.

Edit: I guess its cold where you are!
Last edited by meToo on Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

meToo wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:14 am Good luck with this project, if you're still looking for a name, how about 'syncChief' which gives an clue to its purpose and AFAIN has not been used. One of the complaints I hear about linux is the strange names given to apps which obscure the function. Also could I ask you to consider at least one light theme, some users find dark themes with grey text difficult to read. I personally also like the Appimage approach, like portable apps on that other system, which sometimes consist of just one executable.

ATB, Mike.
Thanks. The theme is set by the OS. The picture you saw also had an accompanying picture of the application using a light theme. As for the name and linux esotericism, Athenaeum suits me fine on the grounds that you'd probably have to go searching go-ogle for the meaning. I encourage self-sufficiency in that department :)
meToo

Post by meToo »

catweazel wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:18 am Athenaeum suits me fine on the grounds that you'd probably have to go searching go-ogle for the meaning. I encourage self-sufficiency in that department :)
OK but it dissuades new linux users being introduced to the system. I suppose at that stage they still think of syncToy (if they are even aware of it).
Like your signature! I wonder how many notice it. My daughter lives in NZ and complains of headaches from being upside down. :lol:
Mintymandy34

Post by Mintymandy34 »

catweazel wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:18 am Thanks. The theme is set by the OS. The picture you saw also had an accompanying picture of the application using a light theme. As for the name and linux esotericism, Athenaeum suits me fine on the grounds that you'd probably have to go searching go-ogle for the meaning. I encourage self-sufficiency in that department :)
Athenaeum is a cool name to me, maybe 'cause Athena was one of my favourites among the gods when I was young. (I know I'm weird. :lol: )
Though I've no idea how it relates to a sync tool, maybe it relates in a way that, you can always sync your knowledge with that of the ancients with the help of a library or an institution, I don't know, I might be wrong.
I think, it's cool. :)

And I also like the AppImage approach, I think it's really cool to have a portable app that can run anywhere. :D
And I'm seeing a lot of developers choosing AppImage format to distribute their softwares in their respective websites.
Though initially I had read AppImages had a problem with security as they weren't sandboxed, even I read a discussion between AppImage devs talking about implementing sandboxing with such packaging system. :(
They've also recommended to use FireJail for that purpose.

I've not seen anything about how big of an impact the issue can have and how to properly solve it.
I gain some confidence when big developers use this format, though a little fear is still lurking inside. :(
I think you can clarify this.
If it's way too off-topic and I should start a new topic/thread, then please let me know. :D
Thanks. :)

Return to “Chat about Linux”