I'm out of patience.

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
CoffeeFiend

Re: I'm out of patience.

Post by CoffeeFiend »

I have always been a Windows baby, ever since 3.1. I am in the military and our networks have always been mostly Windows-based, with a few systems running Linux (RedHat). Back in 2017 I became ever more interested in Linux. I attribute this mostly to the virtual labs I did while getting my M.S. in Cybersecurity. We did a lot of work with a Kali VM and I loved it! So I set up VMWare and Virtual Box on my Windows 10 laptop and tried a few different distros to see which I liked the best. I liked Mint, so I bought a low end HP Pavilion laptop and tried to load it. I kept getting a kernal panic, so I settled on Ubuntu. I used it for a while and liked it well enough, but I kept wanting to go with Mint instead. Finally, yesterday, I tried once again to load Mint and it was a success!

Long story, yeah I know. My point is that I have two laptops, one with Windows 10 and the other with Mint. I like them both well enough, but tend to use my Linux machine more often. I have noticed that my Linux machine tends to boot faster, opens programs faster, and has never frozen up. This is good especially since my Windows laptop has more RAM and a faster processor than my Linux machine. I also worry less about getting a virus on my Linux machine. I like being able to update my Linux machine when I want to, unlike with Windows 10. And I love than Mint doesn't come pre-loaded with bloatware like Windows 10 does.

I doubt my post will persuade you to stick with Linux. The choice is ultimately yours to make. If you feel going back to Windows is the right answer, then it probably is. To each his own.
wallyUSA
Level 6
Level 6

Post by wallyUSA »

CoffeeFiend wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:52 am
... I also worry less about getting a virus on my Linux machine. I like being able to update my Linux machine when I want to, unlike with Windows 10. And I love than Mint doesn't come pre-loaded with bloatware like Windows 10 does.
+1 CoffeeFiend: I think you have said it all (at least for me) :!:
> If your query has been resolved, edit your original post and add <SOLVED> to the beginning of the subject line. This may help others find solutions. <

Dell Latitude 7490 Mint 21.3 Ker 5.15.0-102 Cinn 6.0.4
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

Actually Mint DOES come with pre-loaded "bloatware" the only difference being is that it is useful pre-loaded "bloatware". With Linux we get Open Office which is pre-installed - ok for 99% of users, but, really, no necessary for the operation of the computer, as is Firefox, Gimp, and the other apps that are pre-loaded.. The advantage that the "bloatware" that Linux has over Windwoes, is that it is mostly useful "bloatware" and you don't have to then spend a gazillion roubles to install more "bloatware" to make the system do what you want it to do.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Moem wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:02 am I did not hate Windows 7 but I hated the way MS tried to push Win 10 on everyone.
Agreed.
Moem wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:02 amAnd most of all, I hate the telemetry (that's also been backported to Win7).
I believe all OSs have always had telemetry regardless of which OS it may be it's just that the consumer / user is aware of it now.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

151tom wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:11 am I believe all OSs have always had telemetry regardless of which OS it may be it's just that the consumer / user is aware of it now.
Can you point to a source for that?

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
151tom
Level 4
Level 4

Post by 151tom »

Moem wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:04 am
151tom wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:11 am I believe all OSs have always had telemetry regardless of which OS it may be it's just that the consumer / user is aware of it now.
Can you point to a source for that?
Didn't say it was fact. I said I believe all OSs have always had telemetry regardless of which OS it may be it's just that the consumer / user is aware of it now.
Last year we said, 'Things can't go on like this', and they didn't, they got worse.
[Will Rogers]

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works.
[Will Rogers]
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Yes, I know that's what you said. I'm just wondering what makes you believe that, and whether it's based on information or more on gut feeling.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Faust

Post by Faust »

Moem wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:37 am And most of all, I hate the telemetry (that's also been backported to Win7).
During the hideously aggressive roll-out of W10 , users of W7 /8 were offered the " free " upgrade with an option to revert if they didn't like their new OS .
What MS did not make clear is that when users "signed" the W10 EULA , the new T&Cs would apply retrospectively if they went back .
That EULA ( all 40 - odd pages of it ) included granting MS carte blanche to make merry with anything on the user's system and to add telemetry tools
over and above what was already there ( CEIP and windows update system for example ) .

It was a total cesspit in terms of civilized contract law , but they did it anyway .

Perhaps it's that the poster was thinking of ?
But I can't see how that has any relevance to GNU/Linux systems
bodhin

Post by bodhin »

unless you have some off the wall one you should be able to run mint with minimal issues. it is one of the easiest to run. what exactly are your issues? even as a total neophyte you should install and tweak what you need and ecxplore the settings and apps and go for it. started with mx-dos - a nightmare - heard of linus a nd linux the day he announced it. wished at the time i knew computer stuff to use it. ran win2000 and went to mac osx when it came out. have to say mac was sweet stable experience. but their drm stuff and the good macs that are left behind so they can sell more ticked me off.during this period i was exploring linux and back in those days it was tough and a nightmare and coule not get wireless or printer to work. other stuff did. then went 100% linux for personal and business and never looked back - know more than i did back then but still no command line stuff which i wish. we run 3 linux laptops in the house. havebeen for over a decade. - 15 years maybe????

please expand on your issues. could be something simple.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

GPhilips wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:59 pm Linux Mint is draining my patience. I am considering going back to windows. Every little thing takes hours of forum searching and asking! Or even days!

Someone tell me what makes you prefer Linux? Do you hate Windows that badly? Or are you so experienced in Linux that you can actually perform with no errors and quickly?
Seriously are you sure you're talking about Linux Mint Image it's point and click...that's not hard. You don't need to be an expert either because we have this good forum...but if you want to go back to Windows no one will stop you. Image
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
carum carvi

Post by carum carvi »

I was out of patience with Windows10 in 1 single day. Yesterday. Really.

2 days ago I bought a secondhand Thinkpad with Windows10 installed. I really loved the look and feel of Windows10, UNTILL I entered the privacy settings section. I am laughing my head of now, but I just came out of a cave and yesterday was my first close encounter with Windows10. (I only knew Windows7 before). But in Windows7 many things did work immediately out of the box. In Windows10 one has to visit the Windows store before one can even play a video! Ridiculous.

But the privacy hell was the main reason though why I ran out of patience with Windows10 yesterday. I deleted it completely and installed LinuxMint19. It looks a lot less shiny, but LinuxMint is the real thing. Even better than the real thing. A good thing! The BEST. :D :) :lol: :mrgreen: :wink: :roll:
Last edited by carum carvi on Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I hate to beat a dead horse here, but i think the "troll" went back home under his bridge upon his last posting on Feb.18th...lol...DAMIEN
Greencedar

Post by Greencedar »

There is a steep learning curve with Linux / Ubuntu; but, it is worth the effort to learn the system.
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shawnhcorey »

If both Windows and Linux are giving you stress, then perhaps you're expecting too much out of computers in general.
Don't stop where the ink does.
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

Maybe the OP has heard or read great things about Linux, how much better than Windode it is, etc, and he was expecting too much. In particular, we should not confound ease of use with ease of learning. It's easier to learn how to toot a whistle than to learn how to play the trumpet, because you can do all kinds of real music on a trumpet that you can't possibly do on a whistle. However, if you only need to toot a note on the trumpet to call your dog, that skill can be learned in a few hours. Learning takes time, dedication and, most importantly, willingness to learn in the first place.

There are many points why Linux and other Unixen are superior to Windows but i'll just point one out: on Linux/Unix you have a real CLI, as opposed to the joke you'll find in Windows.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

ganamant wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 4:29 am It's easier to learn how to toot a whistle than to learn how to play the trumpet
Nah. I play the tuba and was blowing raspberries at passers by well before I could blow a whistle.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Skuff1975

Post by Skuff1975 »

I feel this is another place where I can express my opinion.

I am also very bad technically, Even after using Linux distro's for more than 2 years, my knowledge is really basic.

HOWEVER...

Everybody says Linux is virus free, but ... I feel I am constantly haunted. And it's practically impossible to get help because everybody has prejudices, I mean, Linux cannot be hacked! Plus... I don't work with my laptops, and I have got 0 valuable data.

However recently out of desperation I went back to WIndows 10 for about a month. And I felt a bit more secure, well a little bit...

After the March update, it stopped working, together with the installation CD, so I went back to Mint.
Now I am running a LIVE session of 18.1 KDE and my system is running more than 50 services... normal?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Skuff1975 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:24 am I feel this is another place where I can express my opinion.
It is, but it's not a support topic, so don't expect help here. Your other thread is a much better place for that.

No one should be telling you that Linux is virus free. That's simply not true.
Also it's possible to get hacked on a Linux based OS. But that is a different thing.

Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Moem wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:06 am No one should be telling you that Linux is virus free. That's simply not true.
Did you ever come across a Linux virus? I'm very interested...
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:50 am
Moem wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:06 am No one should be telling you that Linux is virus free. That's simply not true.
Did you ever come across a Linux virus? I'm very interested...

Code: Select all

42, Arches, Virus.Linux.Alaeda, Linux/Binom, Bliss, Brundle, Bukowski, 
Caveat, Coin, CrossRAT, Hasher, Lacrimae, MetaPHOR, Virus.Linux.Nuxbee.1403, OSF.8759, 
PiLoT, Linux.Podloso, RELx, Virus.Linux.Rike.1627, Virus.Linux.RST.a, Staog, 
Virus.Linux.Vit.4096, Virus.Linux.Winter.341, Winux, Wit, Linux.Zariche.A, 
Virus.Linux.ZipWorm...
https://www.welivesecurity.com/wp-conte ... orSSHe.pdf
https://www.computerworlduk.com/galleri ... s-3634006/
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”