System fails to boot with \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robbedelarbre

System fails to boot with \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found

Post by robbedelarbre »

Hi

Windows 10 was installed on my laptpop, so I installed linux mint allongside windows 10 without changing the options just leaving everyting default.
After that I couldn't boot into linux mint, it always booted to windows.
So, I decided to just run the installer again and this time just install linux only, and let it delete windows 10 (since windows was crap on this laptop).
The installer looked like it finished succesfully

After this I rebooted the laptop and this message came up: (https://photos.app.goo.gl/CtZueYDj2yMNhAJr9)
Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found
Failed to load image \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found
Failed to start MokManager: Not Found
Something has gone seriously wrong: import_mok_state() failed
: Not Found

Now if I want to go to bios or boot device options this message also commes up. So I can basicly do nothing since windows 10 isn't installed anymore. And I don't see a way to install it because I can't let the laptop boot from a usb to install it.

Does anyone know what I can do? Also sorry for my bad englisch, I'm not a native speaker.
Thanks in advanced!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
CAT_indep

Re: System fails to boot with \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found

Post by CAT_indep »

I had similar problem, except mint 19.1 DID NOT finish gracefully. Rather, is froze when "Installing GRUB", in particular at "Installing for x86_64-UEFI platform".
I do have the same problem as you, that I don't have a (working) OS and also, I cannot boot from live USB...
So all the solutions for editing grub files are useless...Solidarity in despair!
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

Any chance these are Acer laptops?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

robbedelarbre wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:16 pm Hi

Windows 10 was installed on my laptpop, so I installed linux mint allongside windows 10 without changing the options just leaving everyting default.
After that I couldn't boot into linux mint, it always booted to windows.
So, I decided to just run the installer again and this time just install linux only, and let it delete windows 10 (since windows was crap on this laptop).
The installer looked like it finished succesfully

After this I rebooted the laptop and this message came up: (https://photos.app.goo.gl/CtZueYDj2yMNhAJr9)
Failed to open \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found
Failed to load image \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found
Failed to start MokManager: Not Found
Something has gone seriously wrong: import_mok_state() failed
: Not Found

Now if I want to go to bios or boot device options this message also commes up. So I can basicly do nothing since windows 10 isn't installed anymore. And I don't see a way to install it because I can't let the laptop boot from a usb to install it.

Does anyone know what I can do? Also sorry for my bad englisch, I'm not a native speaker.
Thanks in advanced!
Any chance you can remove hard drive and see if you can access BIOS settings?
jglen490

Post by jglen490 »

There's a setting in the installer that directs where the boot files should be installed. Make sure you have an EFI partition and that the installer is directed to install the Mint boot files to that partition.
fabien85
Level 7
Level 7

Post by fabien85 »

mmx64.efi is the manager of Machine Owner Keys (MOK), to deal with secure boot.
I dont see a reason it should be called ,and furthermore it shouldnt be in EFI/BOOT/ but in EFI/ubuntu/ (which may be the reason why it's not found)
My first advice is to go in the firmware interface (/BIOS) and disable secure boot. That may suffice to solve the problem
JeremyB wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:53 pm Any chance these are Acer laptops?
Indeed. Acer notoriously give difficulties due to the peculiarity of their secure boot implementation.
If the laptop is Acer, try the solution given in https://itsfoss.com/no-bootable-device-found-ubuntu/

If none of these work, please boot your live USB, open a terminal, run the following commands and post here the output between code tags (button </> above the typing area) :

Code: Select all

sudo efibootmgr -v
lsblk -o NAME,SIZE,FSTYPE,LABEL,PARTTYPE,PARTFLAGS
robbedelarbre

Post by robbedelarbre »

thanks for the help, but I found it.
Here is what I did for anyone with the same problem.

So before i had linux mint I just should have disabled secure boot in the BIOS but i forgot about that.
After it installed I couldn't enter bios, boot to linux or boot from usb disk. So I opened the laptop and put the hdd in my other computer and formated it.
After that I could install windows again and access the bios. After I did this I disabled the secure boot in the bios and tried again and this time it worked :D
DeadOrAlive

Post by DeadOrAlive »

hello, try what you say, format my hard drive and reinstall windows, now I want to install linux mint again but I still see the same messages of mmx64 not found, and try also with the safe boot.
I would appreciate if you have another solution to this problem
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

DeadOrAlive wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:49 pm hello, try what you say, format my hard drive and reinstall windows, now I want to install linux mint again but I still see the same messages of mmx64 not found, and try also with the safe boot.
Is Secure Boot disabled in BIOS settings?
DeadOrAlive

Post by DeadOrAlive »

JeremyB wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:50 pm
DeadOrAlive wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:49 pm hello, try what you say, format my hard drive and reinstall windows, now I want to install linux mint again but I still see the same messages of mmx64 not found, and try also with the safe boot.
Is Secure Boot disabled in BIOS settings?
If you change the safe boot of the BIOS
hcentaur13

Post by hcentaur13 »

The UEFI partition contains number of directories whereas eeach directory is a directory containing subdirectories holding bootloaders:

[perry@erde:~$ sudo fdisk -l
Festplatte /dev/nvme0n1: 477 GiB, 512110190592 Bytes, 1000215216 Sektoren
Einheiten: Sektoren von 1 * 512 = 512 Bytes
Sektorgröße (logisch/physikalisch): 512 Bytes / 512 Bytes
E/A-Größe (minimal/optimal): 512 Bytes / 512 Bytes
Festplattenbezeichnungstyp: gpt
Festplattenbezeichner: 766E2295-A181-4A0D-85E3-E3107A47F9AD

Gerät Anfang Ende Sektoren Größe Typ
/dev/nvme0n1p1 2048 892927 890880 435M Windows-Wiederherstellungsumgebung
/dev/nvme0n1p2 892928 1228799 335872 164M EFI-System
/dev/nvme0n1p3 1228800 1261567 32768 16M Microsoft reserviert
/dev/nvme0n1p4 1261568 133195362 131933795 62,9G Microsoft Basisdaten
/dev/nvme0n1p5 133195776 134219775 1024000 500M Windows-Wiederherstellungsumgebung
/dev/nvme0n1p6 134219776 268437503 134217728 64G Linux-Dateisystem
/dev/nvme0n1p7 268437504 1000214527 731777024 349G Linux-Dateisystem
]

wheras the efi partition owns only 1 directory named /efi. That partition is mounted in
/boo/efi/EFI

:~$ sudo ls -al /boot/efi/EFI
insgesamt 7
drwx------ 7 root root 1024 Okt 28 09:05 .
drwx------ 3 root root 1024 Jan 1 1970 ..
drwx------ 2 root root 1024 Aug 4 2018 Boot
drwx------ 4 root root 1024 Aug 3 2018 Microsoft
drwx------ 6 root root 1024 Feb 6 09:29 refind
drwx------ 2 root root 1024 Okt 28 09:05 tools
drwx------ 3 root root 1024 Okt 11 10:34 ubuntu
perry@erde:~$ wheras EFI is the mountpoint.
Boot is UEFI itself
Microsoft is the directory containing W10 bootloader
refind is a UEFI bootloader that ignores the UEFI bootmanager; you finds it in launchpad
ubuntu is the directory that holds mints UEFI-grub that presents grub menu that boots any installed operatiing system
nichole

Post by nichole »

Hi,
I've had this same problem as in the initial post: after successful installation being stuck with the "\EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found" as above, trying to install Linux Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64-bit.
I finally solved it and thought it's worth posting how:
1.- Set boot mode UEFI and secure boot disabled.
2.- Boot with live USB, run GParted, delete all partitions and reboot
3.- Execute efibootmgr -v
Now the only boot entry left is the live USB.
4.- Follow this tutorial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JaK1Birq0xM, that is:
4.1.- Run GParted and create partition table type gpt
4.2.- Create a new partition type fat32 size 300MB. Apply.
4.3.- On this partition manage flags, check boot and esp.
4.4.- Run installation, on "Installation type" choose "Something else" to choose partitions.
4.5.- Create partition type ext4, in size subtract what will be used for swap, and mount point \
4.6.- Create swap partition on the left free space.
4.7.- On the "Device for boot loader installation" menu select the efi device.
4.8.- Press Install now and Continue.
5.- When Installation complete, Restart now. In my case, the problem persists: \EFI\BOOT\mmx64.efi - Not Found as above.
6.- I boot with live USB, execute efibootmgr -v and find boot entry labelled Windows Boot Manager with EFI path \EFI\Boot\bootx64.efi. I guess it has to do with my firmware and I don't know how to change this.
7.- Now with help of https://vitux.com/how-to-manually-mount ... on-ubuntu/

sudo fdisk -l
sudo mkdir /media/EFI-System
sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /media/EFI-System -o uid=1000
sudo nemo
7.4.- navigate to EFI-System/EFI/ubuntu and copy mmx64.efi, then paste it in EFI-System/EFI/BOOT
7.5.- Remove live USB and reboot. A blue window appears, it says something about shimx64.efi and right after the system loads successfully.

As result, efibootmgr shows an entry labelled ubuntu with path \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi
Also the file mmx64.efi is not in EFI/BOOT in the efi partition.
I can't get rid of boot entry labelled Windows Boot Manager shown with efibootmgr. I delete with -B -b XXXX but it comes back after reboot. It's annoying.
Wintre2203

Post by Wintre2203 »

Hello,

I followed your instructions, but when I got to step 7, I got the response "/dev/sda1/media/EFI-System/: can't find in /etc/fstab."
and I'm not quite sure what to do next. I made sure to follow every step exactly, so I know I created the directory. I also tried the "sudo nemo" command, but it said "command not found" but I'm assuming it might be due to the fact that the selected directory couldn't be mounted. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
nichole

Post by nichole »

Hi Wintre2203, I hope you could solve this meanwhile...
I see your post, you say: ".. so I know I created the directory". Do you mean you are sure you created the EFI partition..?
I don't know about your error message.
About "sudo nemo", I don't think it has to do with the previous commands.

Do you have only one hard drive in your machine, the one mounted on sda?
kukamuumuka

Post by kukamuumuka »

One easy fix for that is to boot Mint using rEFInd CD or USB and when Mint is booted up, open terminal inside CD directory and run

sudo ./refind-install
https://www.rodsbooks.com/refind/getting.html
v_savostin

Post by v_savostin »

Hi there! I had the same issue (got same message on load and after that my laptop switches of). I use the Acer laptop and I`ve installed ubuntu 18.04 alongside Windows 10. So try to type F12 to run into BIOS and after that go to 'Security'->Select an UEFI file as trusted to execute', navigate to grubx64.efi and press Enter. (in my case the file is located on HDD0->EFI->ubuntu). And then restart the laptop. It helped for me!
lopus312

Post by lopus312 »

Hello,

I know it is an old thread but wanted to let know anyone who will have the same issue in the future.
nicole's solution worked for me but you don't need to do all of it, just the 7th step.
the only issue is mmx64.efi

Her solution:
1)

sudo fdisk -l
sudo mkdir /media/EFI-System
sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /media/EFI-System -o uid=1000
sudo nemo
2)navigate to EFI-System/EFI/ubuntu and copy mmx64.efi, then paste it in EFI-System/EFI/BOOT
3)Remove live USB and reboot. A blue window appears, it says something about shimx64.efi and right after the system loads successfully.
akashtech

Post by akashtech »

This is because of MOK in EFI, When you install Linux Mint on your computer it register a new MOK in EFI. If installation doesn't completed or something happens wrong you may get this this.

If you remove MOK variable from EFI, then this can solve your problem.

You can read this guide to solve your problem: https://smarttechnicalworld.com/cant-in ... not-found/
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

akashtech wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:31 am If you remove MOK variable from EFI, then this can solve your problem.

You can read this guide to solve your problem: https://smarttechnicalworld.com/cant-in ... not-found/
There are several variations of the MokManager problem, but that looks like a useful solution for the most difficult variation. (Which I've had and ended up solving by reflashing the firmware). Have you tested this solution personally?

By the way, resetting Windows (as recommended at end of the article) shouldn't be necessary. At most, might be useful to reinstall the boot loader, which is relatively easy.
akashtech

Post by akashtech »

pbear wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:17 pm
akashtech wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 5:31 am If you remove MOK variable from EFI, then this can solve your problem.

There are several variations of the MokManager problem, but that looks like a useful solution for the most difficult variation. (Which I've had and ended up solving by reflashing the firmware). Have you tested this solution personally?

By the way, resetting Windows (as recommended at end of the article) shouldn't be necessary. At most, might be useful to reinstall the boot loader, which is relatively easy.
Yes I have tested this solution personally, Don't worry about that.

Return to “Installation & Boot”