Unable to boot into live usb or system. Completely locked out. Help!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SamLearnsLinux

Unable to boot into live usb or system. Completely locked out. Help!

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

I was facing a major issue yesterday and did a boot repair based on one of the reddit commenters suggestion. Since then I cannot boot in. Nor into a live usb or the system on the hard disk. Here's the entire thread https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxquestions ... wont_boot/

Yes I have tried different options under boot menu, tried uefi, legacy, booting from my hard disk etc. None work. What do I do? Most of the solutions suggested by commenters yesterday don't work because I am literally on the grub menu and can't go past it. Been locked out of my computer for a day and a half now. Any help is appreciated
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Unable to boot into live usb or system. Completely locked out. Help!

Post by Pierre »

Hi there Sam,

quite seriously - - it's probably much Quicker to actually re-install that LinuxMint System:
- - than it is to actually Repair that LinuxMint System :shock:
as I've been there & done that - - on Both the Windows System & on the Linux System.
:roll:

so, unless you just want to Learn Something, from this disaster - - which is quite understandable .. .
- - you really should just boot up an Live LinuxMint Media & backup anything that's valuable,
and re-install the whole LinuxMint System - again.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

SamLearnsLinux wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 3:46 am Yes I have tried different options under boot menu, tried uefi, legacy, booting from my hard disk etc. None work.
If you have data you need to get at, download rEFInd and use a USB writer to write it to a flash drive. That ought to get you in, unless something really drastic has happened to other parts of the installation.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

Before reinstalling like Pierre said, I would first address the issue behind the crash. If it was a user error, then OK, don't do again. But if it was a hardware problem, a hard disk change is in order before something worse happens.

If the machine itself won't boot but the disk is OK, then use another computer to salvage any unique data from that disk. Does your computer boot with some other distro, like SystemRescueCD or something like that? Change as many parameters as you can, but only one at a time, so you can hopefully pinpoint the problem and work from there.
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

Pierre wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:02 am Hi there Sam,

quite seriously - - it's probably much Quicker to actually re-install that LinuxMint System:
- - than it is to actually Repair that LinuxMint System :shock:
as I've been there & done that - - on Both the Windows System & on the Linux System.
:roll:

so, unless you just want to Learn Something, from this disaster - - which is quite understandable .. .
- - you really should just boot up an Live LinuxMint Media & backup anything that's valuable,
and re-install the whole LinuxMint System - again.
Thank you. Oh I want to re-install the Linux mint system as well because I don't think I can fix this. But how do I do that when I cannot even boot into my live usb?
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

SamLearnsLinux wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:31 am But how do I do that when I cannot even boot into my live usb?
What happens when you attempt to boot into the live session?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

catweazel wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:33 am
SamLearnsLinux wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:31 am But how do I do that when I cannot even boot into my live usb?
What happens when you attempt to boot into the live session?
I select the option 'Start Linux mint 19 Mate 64 bit' and the screen goes blank. Nothing loading sign, no mint logos, nothing. It has booted in only 2-3 times so far since yesterday
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

ganamant wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:10 am Before reinstalling like Pierre said, I would first address the issue behind the crash. If it was a user error, then OK, don't do again. But if it was a hardware problem, a hard disk change is in order before something worse happens.

If the machine itself won't boot but the disk is OK, then use another computer to salvage any unique data from that disk. Does your computer boot with some other distro, like SystemRescueCD or something like that? Change as many parameters as you can, but only one at a time, so you can hopefully pinpoint the problem and work from there.
How do I diagnose if my hard disk has failed me? I am stuck at the grub menu.

And no my system won't boot at all. My hard drive has Linux mint xfce 19 which won't boot and the usb has mint mate 19 which won't boot either. I don't have anything like systemrescuecd.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

SamLearnsLinux wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:37 am I select the option 'Start Linux mint 19 Mate 64 bit' and the screen goes blank. Nothing loading sign, no mint logos, nothing. It has booted in only 2-3 times so far since yesterday
It sounds like your machine has gone toes up, shuffled off its mortal coil. If you know someone with a computer, try downloading and re-imaging the live media. If that doesn't work, it's highly likely you need to find a replacement.
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

catweazel wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:44 am
SamLearnsLinux wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:37 am I select the option 'Start Linux mint 19 Mate 64 bit' and the screen goes blank. Nothing loading sign, no mint logos, nothing. It has booted in only 2-3 times so far since yesterday
It sounds like your machine has gone toes up, shuffled off its mortal coil. If you know someone with a computer, try downloading and re-imaging the live media. If that doesn't work, it's highly likely you need to find a replacement.
I feel the same too. How do I diagnose which part is faulty though? I need to know if it's the hard disk or the ram or the motherboard or the cpu
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

what happens, then, if on the Live Media - - when you select the 2nd Boot Option:
- usually an video compatibility mode ? as that sounds more like an video issue .. .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Pierre wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:56 am
what happens, then, if on the Live Media - - when you select the 2nd Boot Option:
- usually an video compatibility mode ? as that sounds more like an video issue .. .
I got the impression from above that SamLearnsLinux has tried booting a number of times and only got it to start three times. Still, your question is valid as I may have run up a drainpipe faster than a threatened rat :)
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

it could be either issue, but lets start with the Live Boot & see if that will work,
and then get some feedback, on what up with that HDD :mrgreen:
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

The second option is 'Start Linux mint 19 Mate 64- bit (compatibility mode)'

It gives a blank screen too 9 out of 10 times. One time it did load into a log on never ending messages but yeah did not boot into anything I could work with
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

catweazel wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:58 am
I got the impression from above that SamLearnsLinux has tried booting a number of times and only got it to start three times. Still, your question is valid as I may have run up a drainpipe faster than a threatened rat :)
Yes that is correct
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

You might want to remove the HDD and see if the ISO boots then, if it will consistently boot with HDD removed, get a new HDD
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

JeremyB wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:20 am You might want to remove the HDD and see if the ISO boots then, if it will consistently boot with HDD removed, get a new HDD

Good idea. Just tried this but no difference. Live USB won't boot. Screen goes blank after I select 'Start Linux mint 19 MATE 64 bit'
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

so, with that HDD still being removed:
- try some other video methods, thus:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

did you also try the 'nomodeset' option ?.
Quetzal

Post by Quetzal »

Just a thought from remembering Windows fault finding:-

Maybe check that the RAM modules are firmly seated in their slots - (easy to check anyway when running out of ideas).

If loose, that could give an intermittent fault - though on more remembering - perhaps that used to give a "No operating system found" message.
Last edited by Quetzal on Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

Quetzal wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:22 am Maybe check that the RAM modules are firmly seated in their slots - (easy to check anyway when running out of ideas).
Either that, or maybe one RAM stick has failed. In this case, the sticks should be tested in sequence, only one at a time. At this point, I would do my tests from a live medium with the HDD disconnected, just in case.

Return to “Beginner Questions”