Unable to boot into live usb or system. Completely locked out. Help!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Unable to boot into live usb or system. Completely locked out. Help!

Post by pbear »

ganamant wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:16 amAt this point, I would do my tests from a live medium with the HDD disconnected, just in case.
+1. No point risking the HDD (and, more importantly, the data on it) until the machine is either fixed or replaced.
Neil Edmond
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Neil Edmond »

Could be a weak, failing power supply. I had one acting in a similar fashion a few years ago, and after everything else checked good we decided to try a different power supply. That did the trick.
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

Pierre wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:09 am so, with that HDD still being removed:
- try some other video methods, thus:
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132

did you also try the 'nomodeset' option ?.
How do I do this from the grub menu?
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

Quetzal wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:22 am Just a thought from remembering Windows fault finding:-

Maybe check that the RAM modules are firmly seated in their slots - (easy to check anyway when running out of ideas).

If loose, that could give an intermittent fault - though on more remembering - perhaps that used to give a "No operating system found" message.
Yeah I've checked this. I removed, cleaned and re-seated the RAM in both the slots. No difference
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

ganamant wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:16 am
Quetzal wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:22 am Maybe check that the RAM modules are firmly seated in their slots - (easy to check anyway when running out of ideas).
Either that, or maybe one RAM stick has failed. In this case, the sticks should be tested in sequence, only one at a time. At this point, I would do my tests from a live medium with the HDD disconnected, just in case.
I have only 1 RAM stick. I also ran memtest and it passed the entire test twice without any errros
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

Neil Edmond wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:00 pm Could be a weak, failing power supply. I had one acting in a similar fashion a few years ago, and after everything else checked good we decided to try a different power supply. That did the trick.
Done. Checked this as well. No difference. Same error
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

pbear wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:48 pm
ganamant wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:16 amAt this point, I would do my tests from a live medium with the HDD disconnected, just in case.
+1. No point risking the HDD (and, more importantly, the data on it) until the machine is either fixed or replaced.
Alright. Done. I have disconnected the HDD
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

SamLearnsLinux wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:03 am did you also try the 'nomodeset' option ?.

do look at that Tutorial:
- - What are these options? - - nomodeset
read that section . .
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

Pierre wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:47 am
SamLearnsLinux wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:03 am did you also try the 'nomodeset' option ?.

read that section . .
Sorry. So alright I tried this. Brings me back to the same issue I talked about during the first post on reddit https://m.imgur.com/JuuAa8W
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

Pierre wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:47 am

read that section . .
And if I try it for the live usb, I get the same 'uncompression error -- system halted'
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

Anyone anything? Is just replacing the whole system the only answer now?
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

SamLearnsLinux wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:25 pm Anyone anything? Is just replacing the whole system the only answer now?
I'm afraid it is. Computers die from time to time. The biggest loss in that case is the data. If the HDD is OK, you have been lucky after all.
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

ganamant wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:37 pm
SamLearnsLinux wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:25 pm Anyone anything? Is just replacing the whole system the only answer now?
I'm afraid it is. Computers die from time to time. The biggest loss in that case is the data. If the HDD is OK, you have been lucky after all.
Yeah I'm afraid as well that's the case. Is there anyway I can salvage the motherboard or especially the processor cuz those little things are damn expensive. How do I tell which part is faulty and which is fine?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

The picture posted https://m.imgur.com/JuuAa8W shows me that there is an issue with the kernel, I would try to use the Grub menu on the install to use Advanced options and pick an older kernel to boot into
SamLearnsLinux

Post by SamLearnsLinux »

JeremyB wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:05 pm The picture posted https://m.imgur.com/JuuAa8W shows me that there is an issue with the kernel, I would try to use the Grub menu on the install to use Advanced options and pick an older kernel to boot into
Tried a lot of older kernels under advanced options. None boot
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

SamLearnsLinux wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:02 pm How do I tell which part is faulty and which is fine?
That's pretty easy if the problem is as simple as a blown capacitor, but hard otherwise. If the PSU is ok, I'd try changing the mobo first. However, if it was a defective PSU that blew the mobo, both need replacing. This is hard to tell without some instruments and a little training. Maybe, try a repair lab if there's one near you.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

What strikes me is, check the motherboard's battery.... When it is empty, many strange phenomenon can occur
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)

Return to “Beginner Questions”