Correct Epson Ink Levels in Mint7 with MTink (SOLVED)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Bruce R
Level 1
Level 1

Correct Epson Ink Levels in Mint7 with MTink (SOLVED)

Post by Bruce R »

In case it helps others, I had to keep re-booting into Windows, just to find out which actual ink cartridge needed replacing for my old Epson Stylus PHOTO R220 printer, but thanks to MTink no longer have to in Mint7.
InkBlot gave incorrect advice, but using the Package Manager to install mtink and its dependencies, I found that I then needed to enter Terminal and use sudo nautilus to change /dev/usb/lp0 Permissions to include Read & Write for 'Others', then use sudo adduser 'username' lp to add my own login to the lp group before running mtink Preferences to select the Port and Printer from the long list of Epson printers, Save, Exit and ReStart, switch on the printer and after a pause, MTink would then work, so I've given it a custom desktop launcher and icon, as per the attachment.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Epson Ink Levels in Mint7 correct with MTink

Post by Husse »

Thanks for the report
I added correct to the subject line to better reflect content
Bruce R
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Epson Ink Levels in Mint7 correct with MTink

Post by Bruce R »

It might 'scan' better as 'Correct Epson Ink Levels with MTink' ?
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Correct Epson Ink Levels in Mint7 with MTink (SOLVED)

Post by cato40 »

Dear Bruce:
Thanks very much for giving us the Epson Ink Levels.
Now the question that I have is , what do you enter into the terminal to change the permissions ?
Do you just type ? "change permissions for /dev/usb/lpO ? or some other commands. I am a newbie to Terminal talk.
Thanking you,
cato40 :(
cato40
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cato40 »

Dear Bruce:
Firstly, I think that you did a marvelous job in showing us how to view our Epson ink supply.
Now here are a few questions; Would this show the ink supply for any Epson Model ?, or just Multifunction ones.
It would be very much appreciated if you could or would write out the correct procedure via the Terminal ,
so that ,say after accessing the Terminal one would type in su or sudo the how to access the printer dependencies ?
and so forth. I am still leaning about the Terminal and Commands.
Thanking uou.
cato40 :)
capt

Post by capt »

I just installed this tool and want to say it really works well. I tried the test and clean print head feature and it was great. :mrgreen:
hayden
Level 2
Level 2

Post by hayden »

I installed mtink, and am part of lp group. When I run mtink, it says "Error No Access to printer device file." I click OK but it shows all ink levels empty. When I click on Preferences says, "choose browser" a radio box for "Mini Help", another for "Allow automatic detection". Port Choice and Printer Choice. When I click on Port Choice it says "no access to printer device file... must be member of group lp". Does this only work with USB connected printers?

How do I set up to show ink levels? I have a epson stylus NX420, network printing.
graphius

Post by graphius »

I am having the same issue as hayden
mtink used to work a few versions ago, but now it comes up with an error. I am sure it is a permission thing, but I cannot find any /dev/usb/lp* file mtink won't let me change the port anyway (it only lists /dev/lp0, which as far as I can figure out doesn't exist)

any advice?

PS I have tried to add a new printer, even reinstall, but it will not list my Epson 1400, and I can't remember how I initially installed it. and yes I am a member of the lp group
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

Just joined -- or I would have posted this sooner, but with recent Ubuntu versions, and their variants, there are additional steps that need to be performed for MTink to continue to work, as follows:

1) Adding usblp module

Open up a terminal and enter "sudo modprobe usblp"

Now, run mtink in terminal and it should work.

2) Making the change permanent

Open up a terminal and add the module name "usblp" to the end of the file /etc/modules, and save the file.

When you reboot, the new module will be mounted automatically from then on.

Hope this helps folks encountering problems getting Mtink to work.
gwi
Level 2
Level 2

Post by gwi »

For me this is not working.

I have mtink installed, and I am member of the 'lp' group. The printer (Epson Stylus Photo R200) is fully functional.
But when I start mtink, as sudo or as normal user, with or without first loading the module 'usblp', I get the message 'No access to printer device file'.

There is no /dev/usblp0 or /dev/usb/lp0. What path to the printer should I use?
Regards,

George

Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria Cinnamon 64-bit, Asus Vanguard B85, Intel Core i7 4770S
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

The module usblp MUST be running in recent Mint versions or mtink will not work -- found that out the hard way when I upgraded to Mint 16 and mtink stopped working.

There might be a hidden file (.mtincrc) in your $Home folder. Mine contains the following entries:

Code: Select all

BROWSER: 
AUTODETECT: no
MINIHELP: yes
PRINTER: Artisan 730
PORT: /dev/usb/lp3
You could try a couple of things.

First, if the file is there, experiment with the "PORT" line until you get one that finds the printer.

Second, rename the file to something else, so that when you run mtink again, a screen pops up allowing it to search for the printer.

Good Luck
bscho

Post by bscho »

I did that but does not work it says I must be a member of the 1s group to use it. How do I do that?

Return to “Printers & Scanners”