LM Forum Down Again Today...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

LM Forum Down Again Today...

Post by Portreve »

Earlier today, Linux Mint Forums was down again, along with the LM blogs area, for several hours.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't really be complaining, but what kind of irks me is this isn't a rare occurrence. I've noticed periodically throughout the year it will go down for no particular reason. Sometimes the forum, while otherwise up, becomes non-responsive.

Sometimes when the forum is down, it works with Firefox but not with Chrome. Or, it's not accessible from my computer but it is from my phone. Or, it's inaccessible via my ISP but not my smartphone network connection.

What in the world is up with whomever is hosting this message board? I can't recall, in my many years of being on the Internet — even in the bad old days of dialup — this being a common thing for message boards.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Re: LM Forum Down Again Today...

Post by MurphCID »

It was down for me too.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

back on Tuesday - - it was down for myself,,
& it seems that there were few others, on-line,, apart from myself

as for Today:
xenopeek wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:58 pm Clem shared it was an outage at the host, saying several servers having been unreachable for some period today.
- Nothing we could do about it.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

What's weird is that the main Mint site was up the whole time. Also, I was frequently checking the site https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/ and it never showed this site being down. At first, I thought it was just me - maybe a browser issue - but my phone was having the same problems.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

In my experience it goes down several times a day, every day, but usually just for a minute or two. Often it's regional so you can access it from another region's VPN or Tor exit node. Some issue with the CDN I guess.
ajgringo619 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:51 pm What's weird is that the main Mint site was up the whole time.
The main site is on a different server.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Pierre wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:47 pm as for Today:
xenopeek wrote: ⤴ Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:58 am

Clem shared it was an outage at the host, saying several servers having been unreachable for some period today.
- Nothing we could do about it.
Does this mean this forum website use host or servers run by non-free Cloud Service Providers.? If so, the LM team could have used their own computer servers = more reliable and cost less in the long run but more work.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

michael louwe wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:40 am Does this mean this forum website use host or servers run by non-free Cloud Service Providers.? If so, the LM team could have used their own computer servers = more reliable and cost less in the long run but more work.
Sure, we do that. The repositories are hosted on my phone and the forums are hosted on Clem's fridge - since the bandwidth is low they go down when he goes to get a drink~
Last edited by gm10 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

the Company that does supply the Sucuri server, - as an server for the LinuxMint Project:
- has been an Official Sponsor of the Project, for some time now.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

gm10 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:47 am The repositories are hosted on my phone
This phone.?
Image ... :D
gm10

Post by gm10 »

michael louwe wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:16 am
gm10 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:47 am The repositories are hosted on my phone
This phone.?
Image ... :D
No, a special eco-friendly FOSS hosting phone, to update the repositories I just need to turn the crank:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gm10 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:58 am No, a special eco-friendly FOSS hosting phone, to update the repositories I just need to turn the crank:

Old technology meets with a modern dilemma.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

catweazel wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:13 am Image

Old technology meets with a modern dilemma.
Old technology had that solved with morse code, but I hear we're still waiting on the emoji extensions for that one. :mrgreen:
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

gm10 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:34 am Old technology had that solved with morse code, but I hear we're still waiting on the emoji extensions for that one. :mrgreen:
---... -.--.-

Update your fonts.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
Faust

Post by Faust »

gm10 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:34 am Old technology had that solved with morse code, but I hear we're still waiting on the emoji extensions for that one. :mrgreen:
I would really like to have an emoji available that depicts "I'll get my coat "

Where I live , the last Friday of the month is always " off topic posting day " ..... :mrgreen:
..... I'll get my coat !
gm10

Post by gm10 »

catweazel wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:41 am Update your fonts.
Time to crank that phone... :mrgreen:

And since I did:
Faust wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:50 am I would really like to have an emoji available that depicts "I'll get my coat "
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

gm10 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:47 am Sure, we do that. The repositories are hosted on my phone and the forums are hosted on Clem's fridge - since the bandwidth is low they go down when he goes to get a drink~
:lol:

This is the best response post I've read on LMF in a while. Thanks for the laugh!

gm10 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:56 am
Faust wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:50 am I would really like to have an emoji available that depicts "I'll get my coat "
Indeed.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Faust

Post by Faust »

gm10 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:56 am
Time to crank that phone... :mrgreen:

And since I did:
Only just noticed this .
Thank you kindly ..... I'm obliged to you !

That probably says far too much about the type of person who would be pleased by such a thing ...
..... meaning myself , of course :lol:
Bowser_36

Post by Bowser_36 »

If sites like https://downinspector.com/check/https:/ ... uxmint.com or https://www.isitdownrightnow.com/ show the sites up maybe you just need to delete your browser cache and cookies. Doing that has fixed my page loading issues many a time. Not on this site though (never had downtime on LM), but might help.

Return to “Open Chat”