Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
WHVW
Level 4
Level 4

Questions on the formatting of a drive

Post by WHVW » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:43 pm

Hi All:

It seems that when I format most (but not all) drives, G-parted wants to leave a sliver of space as "unallocated". I can't stop this behaviour no matter how many times I re-do it.
Why waste this space? Is there a way to make it format "all the way out"?
Also, I wonder: why does it place a "lost+found" file on a USB stick (NOT, by the way, for use as a "live" install)?
Another peculiarity makes the drive owned by root. Have I missed a setting that would avoid root ownership (and the need to change it)?

Thanks

fstjohn
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Questions on the formatting of a drive

Post by fstjohn » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:50 pm

WHVW wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:43 pm

Another peculiarity makes the drive owned by root. Have I missed a setting that would avoid root ownership (and the need to change it)?

Thanks
I have the same problem. If I format to FAT or NTFS it installs me as the owner. If EXT anything it's root.

Flemur
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Flemur » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:39 pm

Are they logical partitions? Apparently that has something to do with it.
https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1568720

I have an obnoxious 1.00 MiB unallocated space at the beginning of an extended partition, before the start of the first logical partition (in the extended partition), that I can't get rid of.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Manjaro openbox/fluxbox/pulse-less
Lubuntu LXDE/fluxbox/pulse-less

WHVW
Level 4
Level 4

Post by WHVW » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:27 pm

fstjohn:

I think that NTFS and FAT are non-Linux (or Unix) formats (to the best of my knowledge). I don't remember ever encountering "ownership" in my Winderz days; so the fact that it does not assign ownership to root is not surprising. EXT (again to the best of my knowledge) is a Linux format, and Linux likes to give ownership to root.

Flemur :

I read your link, those guys seem to be experiencing the "dead zones" between partitions, mine occur at the end of the partition zone, not in between. That person (s) seems to say that he/she could delete those dead zones, I cannot.

Perhaps I should try placing more than one partition on a drive as a test, however this problem has never occurred when I have done so in the past.

Who knows, maybe those distinctions would make no difference at all, hopefully someone will come up with more info.

Return to “Hardware Support”