How To Create a System Image With Macrium Reflect Rescue Disk In Linux Mint.

Write tutorials here
There are more tutorials here http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/welcome
Forum rules
Please don't add support questions to tutorials,start your own thread in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post please read this
AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes sweeping down the plains

Re: How To Create a System Image With Macrium Reflect Rescue Disk In Linux Mint.

Post by AZgl1500 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:38 pm

AndyMH wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:12 pm
Thought I'd try Macrium Reflect today - playing around with backup utilities to see if there is anything I prefer over what I already use. Downloaded and installed into win10 on a spare T430. Created a rescue iso, burnt to usb with the mint usb writer - no joy, wouldn't boot (tried on two different T430 laptops). So burnt to CD in win and that wouldn't boot either. Only thing left to try is with a separate usb DVD drive instead of the built in drive (it's a 'brand new' second hand T430 one day out of the box) or maybe trying to burn to usb with mkusb instead of the standard mint tool.

Any thoughts, and can you do a backup from the rescue CD (without this, it would be a waste of space for me)?
My desktop PC is Win7, and I had Macrium Reflect build a Rescue Recovery DVD on the builtin DVD unit in a 10 year old Gateway PC. I made sure to check the box that includes all of the options to be able to boot to any hardware, not just the hardware the DVD was created with.

I then used that DVD in an extUSB DVD player to boot up onto my ASUS TP500L laptop which is already 18.3 Cinnamon and 2 partitions.

MR successfully booted up, and then made a full 500gB image file ISO to another extUSB HDD formatted in NTSF. I used that image to overwrite the ASUS laptop to see what would happen, it worked just fine.

I have not yet tried to create a bootable USB flash drive with Macrium Reflect on it, that will be my next project "one of these days". I see no reason why it will not work.

My daughter has an Acer laptop with Win10... I will try to duplicate your efforts later today, and report back here. I have some spare DVDs that I just bought at Dollar Tree.

hans123
Level 1
Level 1

Re: How To Create a System Image With Macrium Reflect Rescue Disk In Linux Mint.

Post by hans123 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:42 pm

What worked for me: Run Macrium Reflect on a windows machine. Create the Rescue Media on a USB drive / memory stick. Boot Linux machine from the USB Drive. As described by Bob466 in the start post. Works great!

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:10 pm

Thanks, I've maybe have a play later this evening and make sure to check all the boxes when I have another go at creating the iso.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:07 pm

AndyMH wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:12 pm
Thought I'd try Macrium Reflect today - playing around with backup utilities to see if there is anything I prefer over what I already use. Downloaded and installed into win10 on a spare T430. Created a rescue iso, burnt to usb with the mint usb writer - no joy, wouldn't boot (tried on two different T430 laptops). So burnt to CD in win and that wouldn't boot either. Only thing left to try is with a separate usb DVD drive instead of the built in drive (it's a 'brand new' second hand T430 one day out of the box) or maybe trying to burn to usb with mkusb instead of the standard mint tool.

Any thoughts, and can you do a backup from the rescue CD (without this, it would be a waste of space for me)?
If you want to create a Bootable Flash Drive...you need Macrium Software to create it for you...otherwise it wont work. Saving the ISO to say your Desktop...you can create a Bootable CD/DVD and this works everytime with XFburn. Image
Linux For Ever...Windoze Never Image

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:44 pm

the ISO to say your Desktop...you can create a Bootable CD/DVD and this works everytime with XFburn
Not here it didn't. Ticked all the options apart from bitlocker. Used macrium to burn the CD - no joy, tried booting from three T430 thinkpads, two with legacy installs LM19.0 only and one UEFI with LM19.0/win10/lubuntu. Same on all, just hangs with a blank screen. This was after I used xfburn to burn an iso to CD. Tried the installed DVD drive in one T430 and a separate USB DVD drive on the others. Now have three gash CDs.

Much the same story with USB, checking the iso think it is bog standard, not isohybrid - so wouldn't expect it to boot from usb:

Code: Select all

andy@T430 ~/Public $ fdisk -l MacriumRescue.iso
Disk MacriumRescue.iso: 520.7 MiB, 545980416 bytes, 1066368 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
And trying to turn it into an isohybrid also failed (which has worked for me on other iso's to get bootable usb images).

andy@T430 ~/Public $ sudo isohybrid -v MacriumRescue.iso
[sudo] password for andy: 
catalogue offset: 680
ve[0]: 1, cs: 1
ve[1]: 0, cs: 1
ve[2]: 26957, cs: 26958
ve[3]: 29283, cs: 56241
ve[4]: 29551, cs: 85792
ve[5]: 26223, cs: 112015
ve[6]: 8308, cs: 120323
ve[7]: 19785, cs: 140108
ve[8]: 20545, cs: 160653
ve[9]: 30281, cs: 190934
ve[10]: 50, cs: 190984
ve[11]: 0, cs: 190984
ve[12]: 0, cs: 190984
ve[13]: 0, cs: 190984
ve[14]: 27555, cs: 218539
ve[15]: 43605, cs: 262144
isohybrid: MacriumRescue.iso: unexpected boot catalogue parameters
If you want to create a Bootable Flash Drive...you need Macrium Software to create it for you...otherwise it wont work.
What software, in Macrium Reflect all I've seen is burn to CD or create ISO?
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:03 am

AndyMH wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:44 pm
the ISO to say your Desktop...you can create a Bootable CD/DVD and this works everytime with XFburn
If you want to create a Bootable Flash Drive...you need Macrium Software to create it for you...otherwise it wont work.
What software, in Macrium Reflect all I've seen is burn to CD or create ISO?
Did you have your Flash Drive plugged in when you opened Macrium Software ? I bet you didn't. Image

With Flash Drive plugged in...open Macrium Software...click..Other Tasks... click...Create Rescue Media...select...Removable USB Flash Drive...then click...Build and your Bootable Flash Drive will be created...simple. Image. I know it works because I just did it. I choose the ISO File option...I can save the ISO to my Desktop which is better IMO and burn it to a CD/DVD with Xfburn any time I want. Image

AndyMH
Level 9
Level 9

Post by AndyMH » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:57 am

Ahhh.... you win :) this time I plugged in a usb stick and macrium gave me the option - so I burned a usb stick and it worked. Sometimes it takes someone else to state the obvious before the penny drops. Did take longer to boot than other linux based sticks. So now I'll have a play - backup lubuntu (sharing the HDD with win10), delete the partitions and see what happens on a restore.

Still don't understand why the following wouldn't boot:
  • macrium > iso > mint usb writer > usb stick
  • macrium > iso > xfburn > CD
  • macrium > iso > mkusb > usb stick
  • macrium > CD
All on more than one T430 - a thinkpad has to be one of the most OS friendly bits of kit around. I'll maybe look more at this. All I can think of is that maybe I didn't give it long enough given that I was surprised at the slow boot time - but sure I left each one several minutes.

Not knocking macrium, but my inclination is not to rely on a windows product for potentially the most important bit of software you need. I'll carry on testing it and other image backup tools, but may end up doing a rewrite/update of Redo (which is my favourite).

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:31 pm

bob466 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:07 pm

If you want to create a Bootable Flash Drive...you need Macrium Software to create it for you...otherwise it wont work. Saving the ISO to say your Desktop...you can create a Bootable CD/DVD and this works everytime with XFburn. Image
Never tried to save the Macrium Reflect ISO, only used the MR Software itself to create the bootable media.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:05 pm

AndyMH wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:57 am
Ahhh.... you win :) this time I plugged in a usb stick and macrium gave me the option - so I burned a usb stick and it worked. Sometimes it takes someone else to state the obvious before the penny drops. Did take longer to boot than other linux based sticks. So now I'll have a play - backup lubuntu (sharing the HDD with win10), delete the partitions and see what happens on a restore.
I'm glad you got it to work Image. You don't have to delete any partitions...Macrium creates an Image of the whole HDD.

You should be able to Boot the ISO from a CD/DVD with Xfburn...I save the ISO to my Mint Desktop and open Xfburn...choose..."Burn a Prepared Compilation ie a ISO File" and set Speed to "0"...works every time. It's Windoze PE not Windoze ISO so it's not live and no danger...I've tried a lot of Disk Imaging Software but Macrium is the only one where you can verify the Image it creates...something very important.

Nothing worse than trying to Re-image your HDD only to find the Image is bad and you've lost everything. Image

Alvin
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Alvin » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:10 pm

Bob466: Special thanks for the trouble you took too provide a detailed guide.

To anyone: I wonder, when I decide to eliminate Windows7, were I to format my HDD and then restore to it only the partition with Linux Mint (the "ext" partition) without the Recovery and the Windows7 partitions, would such a procedure convert my dual OS system to simply Linux Mint? Would I also need to create a new "grub" file for the restore ext partition to work as my Linux Mint OS?

:

kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:51 pm

You create a new GRUB when you use

sudo update-grub
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon - 64bit

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:45 pm

Just thought I'd mention guys...if you create a System Image of your Mechanical HDD...you can put that same Image on an SSD and it works just fine Image as long as they are the same size of cause. Image

If you think Mint is fast on a HDD...you should see it on an SSD...12 seconds to log-in screen...6 seconds to Desktop. Image

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:56 pm

bob466 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:45 pm
Just thought I'd mention guys...if you create a System Image of your Mechanical HDD...you can put that same Image on an SSD and it works just fine as long as they are the same size of cause.
A word of caution: You must remove the HDD if you do that otherwise you're going to be trying to boot with two drives using the same UUIDs.
¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:33 am

catweazel wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:56 pm
bob466 wrote:
Just thought I'd mention guys...if you create a System Image of your Mechanical HDD...you can put that same Image on an SSD and it works just fine as long as they are the same size of cause.
A word of caution: You must remove the HDD if you do that otherwise you're going to be trying to boot with two drives using the same UUIDs.
I think you misunderstood what I ment...HDD Image is stored on an External HDD...the Image is put onto the SSD with Macrium...no other HDDs are connected to Motherboard. After the SSD has been Imaged...Macrium Rescue Disk is the only thing that needs to be removed.

Once you close and remove Macrium...Computer Boots to Login Screen...enter Password and it Boots to Desktop...then you can remove External HDD. Image

I learnt many years ago that trying to install an OS or Image with several HDDs connected to Motherboard just doesn't work...I assume everyone knew this...just like I assumed people who work in a Computer shop know what their doing...silly me. Image I asked for a Bracket so I can put the SSD into my Desktop drive bay...guy looked at me as if I was speaking Chinese Image had to explain SSD it 2.5'' and Drive bay is 3.5'' that's why I need the Bracket and yes they did sell them...these idiots work on people's Computers. Image

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:38 am

bob466 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:33 am
catweazel wrote:
bob466 wrote:
I think you misunderstood what I ment..
No, I didn't. The meaning of "you can put that same Image on an SSD and it works just fine as long as they are the same size of cause [sic]" is clear. The only clarification required is that if "you ... put that same Image on an SSD" in the same system as that of the HDD, but then in the end, that's to clarify your omissions, not anyone else's misunderstanding.

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:14 am

catweazel wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:38 am
bob466 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:33 am
catweazel wrote:

I think you misunderstood what I ment..
No, I didn't. The meaning of "you can put that same Image on an SSD and it works just fine as long as they are the same size of cause [sic]" is clear. The only clarification required is that if "you ... put that same Image on an SSD" in the same system as that of the HDD, but then in the end, that's to clarify your omissions, not anyone else's misunderstanding.
I think you're a little confused my friend...the same System Image of a HDD (Mechanical) can be placed on an SSD...is what I said...what more clarification do you need Image and that same SSD can then be placed in another Computer and will work too...the only way to prove it works is to try it...no clarification required here. Image

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:21 am

bob466 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:14 am
I think you're a little confused my friend...
That remains to be seen.
the same System Image of a HDD (Mechanical) can be placed on an SSD...is what I said...what more clarification do you need
I know what you said. The word omissions refers to what you left out, which I clarified.
placed in another Computer
You added that just now, as soon as you realised your mistake. If you doubt that, post the text where you said it previously.

AZgl1500
Level 11
Level 11

Post by AZgl1500 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:44 am

I made an image of my sister's Win7 Dell HDD,
pulled that out, and installed a SSD, and used Macrium Reflect to overwrite the SSD.

being it is a laptop, it only has the one HDD bay, so 2 HDDs is not possible.

It fired right up, just a lot faster :mrgreen:

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:32 pm

catweazel wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:21 am
bob466 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 1:14 am
I think you're a little confused my friend...
That remains to be seen.
the same System Image of a HDD (Mechanical) can be placed on an SSD...is what I said...what more clarification do you need
I know what you said. The word omissions refers to what you left out, which I clarified.
placed in another Computer
You added that just now, as soon as you realised your mistake. If you doubt that, post the text where you said it previously.
What are you on ? Image

bob466
Level 5
Level 5

Post by bob466 » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:08 pm

AZgl1500 wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:44 am
I made an image of my sister's Win7 Dell HDD,
pulled that out, and installed a SSD, and used Macrium Reflect to overwrite the SSD.

being it is a laptop, it only has the one HDD bay, so 2 HDDs is not possible.

It fired right up, just a lot faster :mrgreen:
For some time I've wanted to try an SSD but cost has been a problem Image now the price has dropped I purchased a 500GB SSD. I wanted to see if Macrium would see it as well as Image it and yes to both...works great and very fast too. Image

I have no intention yet to switch to SSDs as I have several good Mechanical HDDs that work just fine Image but in time all Mechanical HDDs will be phased out as was the fate of 500GB HDDs Image such is life. Image

Return to “Tutorials”