[Solved] What's the best way to copy a large amount of data?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fs0ciety

[Solved] What's the best way to copy a large amount of data?

Post by fs0ciety »

I've got a little over 1 TB of data I need to copy from an external hard disk to an internal hard disk. I tried just dragging and dropping, but it's been at 12% for a while now and I feel like it's stuck.
Last edited by fs0ciety on Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fstjohn
Level 5
Level 5

Re: What's the best way to copy a large amount of data?

Post by fstjohn »

fs0ciety wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:35 pm I've got a little over 1 TB of data I need to copy from an external hard disk to an internal hard disk. I tried just dragging and dropping, but it's been at 12% for a while now and I feel like it's stuck.
Be patient. It may not be stuck but just transferring a full buffer. That's a lot of data, so it may take a while. Go have a beer or two and come back.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

A 1TB drive can take 3 hours to copy, sometimes more depending on the method used. Be patient.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
bob466
Level 6
Level 6

Post by bob466 »

You can always copy and paste in smaller increments but what ever you do it takes time...Mint will tell you when it's done. Image
Linux For Ever...Windows Never. Image
The Freedom To Choose Your Own Avatar Without Victimisation.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

I would definitely use "cp" or "rsync" in a terminal to copy that much data. There are issues - as in this forum** - with at least some file-browsers and copying large amounts of data especially to/from USB drives.

** Edit: internet search this -

Code: Select all

site:forums.linuxmint.com "copy" "large"
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
fs0ciety

Post by fs0ciety »

You guys were right, I was a bit too impatient haha. I first tried to copy everything from the terminal by doing cp -r * /targetdirectory/, because I'm trying to learn terminal stuff. But my issue with that was that I couldn't see the progress. So then I did it the old fashioned way instead.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Double Commander is a fine stand-alone file manager that has never bogged down on me. You might give it a try.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

fs0ciety wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:50 pm I first tried to copy everything from the terminal by doing cp -r * /targetdirectory/, because I'm trying to learn terminal stuff. But my issue with that was that I couldn't see the progress.
For future reference, one way you can do that is to add the "v" tag (verbose), so cp -rv /source/ /target/, which will scroll the file names as copied. For more info on cp or any terminal command, look at the man page (short for manual), e.g., man cp.
Lord Boltar

Post by Lord Boltar »

You can also use Krusader
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

dd command with bs=102400000 will copy 100 mb in one read operation.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
fs0ciety

Post by fs0ciety »

pbear wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:18 pm
fs0ciety wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:50 pm I first tried to copy everything from the terminal by doing cp -r * /targetdirectory/, because I'm trying to learn terminal stuff. But my issue with that was that I couldn't see the progress.
For future reference, one way you can do that is to add the "v" tag (verbose), so cp -rv /source/ /target/, which will scroll the file names as copied. For more info on cp or any terminal command, look at the man page (short for manual), e.g., man cp.
Thanks, I'll try that out next time
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:35 pmDouble Commander is a fine stand-alone file manager that has never bogged down on me.
Just used Double Commander the other day to copy from an old install to a USB drive. It may not be pretty, but it sure works good!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

jimallyn wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:44 am
Pjotr wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:35 pmDouble Commander is a fine stand-alone file manager that has never bogged down on me.
Just used Double Commander the other day to copy from an old install to a USB drive. It may not be pretty, but it sure works good!
my favourite is the Gnome Commander & which is also in the repositories.
- - they all have their own quirks, and some work better than others do.
when copying a lots of files, I'll generally do that directory by directory,
& in case of any file failure - - I've had a few, when doing bulk file transferring .. .. ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
gottogetout
Level 1
Level 1

Post by gottogetout »

jimallyn wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:44 am

my favorite is the Gnome Commander & which is also in the repositories.
- - they all have their own quirks, and some work better than others do.
when copying a lots of files, I'll generally do that directory by directory,
& in case of any file failure - - I've had a few, when doing bulk file transferring .. .. ..
After I read your post I installed "gnome commander", sorry to tell that it bugs, showing me the same folders on the two parts of the window.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

gottogetout wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 7:04 pm After I read your post I installed "gnome commander", sorry to tell that it bugs, showing me the same folders on the two parts of the window.
You followed old advice, meant for a different version of Mint. No guarantee that it still works. Time to close the topic.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Beginner Questions”