Garmin Express using Wine

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gittist
Level 3
Level 3

Garmin Express using Wine

Post by gittist »

Hi,

I found a link (https://www.christitus.com/2019/02/15/g ... ess-linux/)
that has instructions on how to get Garmin Express to run in Linux using WINE. However I keep getting this error:

unknown arg dotnet452
Usage: /usr/bin/winetricks [options] [command|verb|path-to-verb] ...
Executes given verbs. Each verb installs an application or changes a setting.

I think the above is saying that dotnet452 is invalid. I also do NOT get the .NET installation question and that's where the system bombs when I try to install Garmin Express.

The instructions also reference to having wine-devel 3.19 or higher but cannot find that in the software manager.

Don't assume that I know anything about using the terminal. All I can say is that it reminds me of when I USED to know MS-DOS.

I've seen posts about running a dual boot system or another virtual partition etc but those are far beyond my mental capabilities. When VISTA crashed I put in Linux Mint so I don't have any program disks to reinstall MS. I might be able to come with Win 98...

So, any help in getting this method to work would be greatly appreciated.
Garmin Express using WINE.odt
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Garmin Express using Wine

Post by trytip »

you do not want to use garmin express http://download.garmin.com/lmu/GarminMapUpdater.exe <<< is what you want

but you still need to figure out the .NET installation. GOOD LUCK
trytip
Level 14
Level 14

Post by trytip »

Microsoft .NET Framework 4 (Standalone Installer)
but i still get
003f:err:mscoree:CLRRuntimeInfo_GetRuntimeHost Wine Mono is not installed
and have no idea what wine mono is supposed to be
gittist
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gittist »

Oh what a PITA!! But I got it to work, I had to download and install the latest version of wine-devel from winehq.com and then the latest version of winetricks. I think you need to male sure you've purged your system of old versions of wine and winetricks. I do appreciate what the Linux Mint people do but in this case the versions of the two aforementioned programs on the software manager site are too old to run Garmin Express and you have to get newer versions elsewhere. I wish I could help others but to be honest it was like being lost in a city for several hours and then coming upon the place you were looking for. Other than the two steps above, don't ask me how I got there. I willing to bet a can of Moxie that if you make sure you've purged and installed the above two programs, the directions provided earlier in my first post might work.

Good luck.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

gittist, just so you know, I've complained directly to Garmin about them not having a Linux version of Garmin Express. Their response was that not enough of the customer base uses Linux and they won't invest in development in a Linux version.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
gittist
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gittist »

I made the mistake of updating my system so Garmin Express is back to not working :evil:
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Here is a way to get the 4.0 ver of wine and install it. Copy and paste the linux commands into the terminal and press <ENTER>
I am using both wine and crossover. I found that the wine installation from this website "https://kifarunix.com/how-to-install-wi ... ebian-9-8/" works better than the one from the official site. Crossover started out from wine and then they added some refinements, it's very nice.

I am still trying to find a way to install Garmin Express but so far no luck.
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

It can be a PITA setting it up on Windows
GELvdH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by GELvdH »

Ok, here is what I did and it works. First install wine as per my previous post, then run winetricks from your Software updater. Install the .NET as per the instructions from one of your previous posts. Than run the Chris Titus blog to install the whole cabudle using the Garmin site mentioned above. When you install the Garmin you will get a message to log in to your account ignore it and just continue. Unfortunately the graphics between windows and mint do not match very well so the type is pretty sparse. I hope this helps.
Ajc
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Ajc »

- isn't Garmin a Linux based product ?

... not to sure they should say they don't have enough Linux users, when they're using Linux to build the product !! :lol:
dave1775
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dave1775 »

Hi @GELvdH (and Semper Fi!). Can you "hold my hand" through getting it setup? I've tried many avenues, and still can't seem to get it to work. I'm running Mint 20.2 (Cinnamon 5.0.7). I've tried several methods, including Chris Titus's. I'm running wine 5.0. I've also tried using PlayOnLinux and Lutris, but it seems that Wine gets the closest. First i was getting the .NET error, so I tried installing several different versions.
Garmin Express even shows in the menu under the Wine category, but it does nothing. If I run the GarminExpress.exe from my ~/Downloads, it starts, and then says "Install Failed. Garmin Express could not be installed on this computer. Try installing again."
diabolicbg
Level 6
Level 6

Post by diabolicbg »

GELvdH wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 10:07 pm Ok, here is what I did and it works. First install wine as per my previous post, then run winetricks from your Software updater. Install the .NET as per the instructions from one of your previous posts. Than run the Chris Titus blog to install the whole cabudle using the Garmin site mentioned above. When you install the Garmin you will get a message to log in to your account ignore it and just continue. Unfortunately the graphics between windows and mint do not match very well so the type is pretty sparse. I hope this helps.
It would be much quicker and easier for some old crate to install a Windows 7 and run Garmin on it. :lol:
- You see, in this world there are two kinds of people, my friend, those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. - "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly"

Behind every faulty computer there is a user who did nothing...
dave1775
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dave1775 »

Except, if you've purged your life of the cancer that is Windows, you don't go out and pay to re-introduce the cancer...
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Post by kc1di »

You may be able to use openmapchest found here. https://www.openmapchest.org
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
dave1775
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dave1775 »

Looking for a way to get Garmin Express to work. In my case; to copy music to my Forerunner 245M.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Please enlighten me. My Garmin Nuvi can be plugged into the USB and then it is a drive like any other. I can upload waypoint files, or whatever. Garmin Express if primarily to update the maps on the GPS, is it not? I say you don't need Garmin Express to transfer any regular file (gpx, txt, jpg, or anything else) to your GPS. Am I wrong?
dave1775
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dave1775 »

Garmin Express (as originally posted) is used to transfer music and manage Garmin smartwatches. The Forerunner is one of them.
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=1 ... 69yYD5FIWA

Note: the OP linked toan article that isn't available anymore, but here's another version on the same site (same person)
https://christitus.com/garmin-express-linux/
Comments are trying to get forerunner working

Return to “Software & Applications”