[SOLVED] How well Tessa run on old Inspiron B130?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
Mac291
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] How well Tessa run on old Inspiron B130?

Post by Mac291 »

Anyone tell me how well 19 would run on an old Dell Inspiron B130? It has a Pentium M, and I believe I could add up to 2GB of DDR. Has 1GB right now.
If that would run slow what older version would run well? Using Cinnamon. I would mostly use to read, online or off, email, watch videos.

Thank you,

Mac
Last edited by Moem on Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked this as [SOLVED] for you; please note that you can and should do this for your own topics. Thanks!

JoeFootball
Level 8
Level 8

Re: How well Tessa run on old Inspiron B130?

Post by JoeFootball »

Mac291 wrote:It has a Pentium M, and I believe I could add up to 2GB of DDR. Has 1GB right now.
My real answer would be try it and see. Regardless, for Linux Mint on those specs, I'd go with one of the Xfce versions. If LM 19.1 proves to be not to your performance preferences, know that LM 18.3 is still supported until April 2021.

LM 19.1 Xfce

LM 18.3 Xfce

Joe

kevin987
Level 4
Level 4

Post by kevin987 »

I would put in 2 GB RAM to start.

Download the 3 desktop choices. Xfce, MATE and Cinnamon and try them out with a USB flash drive.

Xfce is probably the best choice.

With specs that low (single core processor from 2006) just cross your fingers :o

You may have to choose a lighter distro.
Linux Mint 19.1 (Cinnamon)
LMDE 3 (Cinnamon)
GeckoLinux 150 (Cinnamon)

Tomgin5
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Tomgin5 »

I have several single core Pentium M processors running off both Cinnamon and XFC. They run fine with the 2 GB ddr2 Ram. Depending on which one (speed) they even run well with video. :D

jimallyn
Level 18
Level 18

Post by jimallyn »

I also have installed Mint (17.x and 18.x, but not yet 19.x) on Pentium M computers. It's not going to be a speed demon, but most stuff will run OK. I have always used the XFCE version on puny systems like that, but I understand that there have recently been some changes made to Cinnamon that reduce the amount of RAM and CPU required to run it. If you can increase the RAM, that will definitely help.

“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan

missmoondog
Level 4
Level 4

Post by missmoondog »

your only choice is xfce, period. anything else will be slower than molasses! definitely install that other gig of memory too.

to do the simple things you say you will be using the computer for, it should run well enough to not make you want to throw it through a brick wall! LOL

Mac291
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Mac291 »

Thanks everyone. Don't know why I'm not getting email alerts.

Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Mac291 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:48 pm
Don't know why I'm not getting email alerts.
You'll get them if you subscribe to the thread (use the spanner icon above or below the messages). You can also check the settings in your User Control Panel: ucp.php?i=ucp_prefs&mode=post and ucp.php?i=ucp_notifications&mode=notification_options

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!

Return to “Newbie Questions”