No Password Needed Nor Wanted (Solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

No Password Needed Nor Wanted (Solved)

Post by Alvin »

In Windows 7, my password field is blank. I simply hit the enter key when prompted for it. I would like the same arrangement in Linux Mint 19.1 cinnamon. I have no need for a password. At present, my password is a single alpha character. I would like even to remove that. If I cannot remove the prompt, then I would just like to hit the enter key to continue. How can I do that, please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: No Password Needed Nor Wanted

Post by Pjotr »

Mend your ways. You do need a password. Together with the repo system, the consistent stringent low-level password protection is probably the most important reason why Linux is so much more secure than Windows. :wink:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Create a file /etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/admin.pkla consisting of

Code: Select all

[admin]
Identity=unix-user:0;unix-group:sudo;unix-group:admin
Action=*
ResultActive=yes
This provides for global passwordless access for administrator users (root, and members of group sudo and group admin) on local consoles. Note that "local" excludes e.g. users logged in via ssh; you'd use ResultAny=yes if you'd want that.

For passwordless access through sudo in the terminal as well you'd create a file /etc/sudoers.d/admin consisting of

Code: Select all

%sudo	ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL
%admin	ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:ALL
and make sure to give it 440 permission: sudo chmod 440 /etc/sudoers.d/admin.

Both those are of course pretty far-reaching and it is assumed that you know what you are doing when using anything like it; that you are e.g. preferably not running compromised servers on your Mint desktop. Note however that it is not hugely insecure in and of itself -- even though quite a few people will try and persuade you, vigorously, that it is. Most of them will not in fact understand UNIX security.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

rene, a quick question. Does what you describe in your last post also take care of having to enter a password for gnome keyring? Just want to know so I can add it to my knowledge base.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
sanmig
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sanmig »

I think the OP’s question was:
I have a pwd (for root) but want (user) auto login after start?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Larry78723 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:01 pm Does what you describe in your last post also take care of having to enter a password for gnome keyring?
No, the keyring is something else entirely. What is being done in the above is allow for passwordless/automatic authentication as your user. I.e., forego all prompts to authenticate where you'd normally enter your user password. The keyring password is not your user password -- even though the two password themselves may be the same, and in which case you can set things up to unlock the keyring automatically on login.

Given that Firefox nor Thunderbird supports the GNOME keyring I've not used it a lot. I believe Google Chrome is being annoying in that respect if you e.g. login automatically? (which keeps above automatic unlock of keyring from happening even if the keyring and login passwords ARE the same). There's basically two ways around that: set the keyring password blank, https://askubuntu.com/questions/25974/h ... 5999#25999, or use the basic password store in GNOME Chrome: http://tipsonubuntu.com/2017/12/20/goog ... n-keyring/
Last edited by rene on Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

rene, thanks for the detailed explanation. :D
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

sanmig wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:17 pm I think the OP’s question was: I have a pwd (for root) but want (user) auto login after start?
I believe he in fact intended to get rid of the runtime ones as well, but if you are right, to OP: enable automatic login for your user in Administration -> Login window -> Users.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

I uninstall the gnome keyring, I detest that damn thing.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Getting rid of the runtime ones seems awfully dangerous to me. I use the password prompts to slow me down so I'm sure about the steps I'm about to take. At my age, I'd be reinstalling or recovering from a backup almost daily. :oops:
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

AZgl1500 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:31 pm I uninstall the gnome keyring, I detest that damn thing.
I regret that the damn thing's still not useful for me, but blame that on Mozilla a lot more than on any keyring. Essentially it's the right idea: a central "secrets manager" rather than every individual program implementing the same old security bugs over and over again...
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Larry78723 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:35 pm Getting rid of the runtime ones seems awfully dangerous to me. I use the password prompts to slow me down so I'm sure about the steps I'm about to take.
It's no more, in fact given the much smaller threat level quite a bit less, dangerous than doing the same on Windows as OP stated he was. Other than that, yes, you'd as mentioned only do this if you're sure you want to. Do tend to be slightly allergic to Thou Shalt Not, though...
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Alvin »

To Pjotr: My admonishing friend, please tell me against whom or what does my presumedly undesirable password protect me? I live alone. I keep my doors locked when I am not home. Does the password protect me against internet hackers?
Attentively, Alvin
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Alvin wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:39 pm To Pjotr: My admonishing friend, please tell me against whom or what does my presumedly undesirable password protect me? I live alone. I keep my doors locked when I am not home. Does the password protect me against internet hackers?
Attentively, Alvin
Those of course, but there's also all kinds of malware (like malicious scripts on websites) that you don't want to give unlimited access to your system. A fool that logs into his desktop as root, also runs his web browser as root.

Ze interwebz is a big bad world, son.... Your password helps to keep the wolves at bay. :mrgreen:
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

a small question.
Instead of having to enter a password, it is possible to do as in windows where you either click OK or cancel to verify elevated privileges?
if you want my attention...quote me so I get a notification
Nothing is impossible, the impossible just takes a little longer to solve..
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Marie SWE wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:59 pm a small question.
Instead of having to enter a password, it is possible to do as in windows where you either click OK or cancel to verify elevated privileges?
In the end, everything is possible in Linux. But that doesn't mean it's always sensible to do so.

Don't mess with fundamental security in Linux. Stay secure, stay safe, stay protected. :wink:
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

Pjotr wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:07 pm
Marie SWE wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:59 pm a small question.
In the end, everything is possible in Linux. But that doesn't mean it's always sensible to do so.

Don't mess with fundamental security in Linux. Stay secure, stay safe, stay protected. :wink:
why isn't that sensible? wouldn't the security still be intact that way or what? only that it doesn't require a password, but an active action to approve the activity.
One doesn't need to password protect things from yourself.
It is like it is.. because you do as you do.. if you hadn't done it as you did.. it wouldn't have become as it is. ;)
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Marie SWE wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:28 pm why isn't that sensible? wouldn't the security still be intact that way or what? only that it doesn't require a password, but an active action to approve the activity.
Imagine that someone manages to gain partial control of your computer... either physically or through the internet. Shall we say, they could control the keyboard and see the screen. Would that allow them to install programs at will? Not if you are using a password.
The need to press OK would not deter them at all and they would then have full control. But the need to enter a password would deter them because they don't know what it is.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

Like Moem said.

It's understandable that people flee from the insecurity of Windows to the better security of Linux. Security was the main reason I did that, as well, back in 2006.

But it's not understandable, and in fact very unintelligent, to want to tear down the security of Linux to the level of that same Windows that you've fled from. Makes the whole business of switching to Linux rather pointless.
Marie SWE
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Marie SWE »

Moem wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:31 pm
Marie SWE wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:28 pm why isn't that sensible? wouldn't the security still be intact that way or what? only that it doesn't require a password, but an active action to approve the activity.
Imagine that someone manages to gain partial control of your computer... either physically or through the internet. Shall we say, they could control the keyboard and see the screen. Would that allow them to install programs at will? Not if you are using a password.
The need to press OK would not deter them at all and they would then have full control. But the need to enter a password would deter them because they don't know what it is.
Okay, if anyone is gaining control of my computer. Doesn't that requires a virus with root privileges?
And isn't everybody saying that it is not possible to get infected with that kind of virus?
just to clarify, no one has physical access to my computers.

Return to “Beginner Questions”