Authentication required by wireless network

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Skar

Authentication required by wireless network

Post by Skar »

Hello,

I'm visiting someone and installed Mint on their laptop. I've installed it on my laptop and on my desktop, and had no problems. Not so this time. I connected another laptop with Windows 7 to the wireless network without any problems. It required a password, let's say it was 'suspyre' just for fun, and everything connected just fine on the windows laptop. On the newly installed Mint laptop, a similar pop-up asked for a password, and then for a keyring password (whatever that is). Let's say the keyring password I picked is 'symphonyx', which is the same as the root password.

So when I restart the computer it asks for the keyring password, and I type in 'symphonyx'. It seems to accept that, and tries to connect to the wireless. After a while a pop up window with the message "Authentication required by wireless network" pops up with "WPA & WPA2 Personal" security, and a password already put in. But the password is just a long string of "f3f5c357e6ce4xcgd5dvcr4e5fcdrry76fgcf"-nonesense. So I replace it with 'suspyre' and click connect. It tries to connect for a while, and then the same pop-up appears again. After a few more tries, it gives up.

So what am I missing here? Why the long string of "f23f34g55hg4ff4f44...."? What's this keyring thing? Why isn't the security password working?

Thanks for any help!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Skar

Re: Authentication required by wireless network

Post by Skar »

I guess this has a low priority now. I gave up and installed LM6, and then it worked - same password - since I've had more success with LM6 in the past.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

OK, fair enough, felicia is a bit more stable in the same way intrepid is, ubuntu seem to be concentrating too hard on the timings. Anyway, the keyring is a secure location for storing various passwords that your apps may need, in this case the wireless password. You can access it directly from Menu --> Preferences --> Encryption and Keyrings. Anyway, I think if you use your user password, it'll be able to open automatically on login (I certainly don't get any popups every time I try to connect).

As for the string: that's a sequence of hexadecimal characters required as a "passphrase" by WPA. If you're having issues with WPA, there's a wiki entry somewhere on it. I think by using a custom, you're using WEP security, so you should change from the WPA in the drop-down box.

As you say though, LM6 doesn't seem to have these problems, so just for future use.
Liszt

Post by Liszt »

Jaspmatt (from another post) came up with the following and it did the trick for me. Apparently if you install with automatic login rather than requiring a password it will trigger this problem but can be solved using the below:

Right click on nm-applet -> "Edit connection"
Go to the "Wireless" tab
Click on the wireless hotspot you want to automatically connect to
Click the "Edit" button
At the bottom of the window, you should see a tick box which says "Available to all users".
Tick it and click Apply!

Was a major headache for me but no problems since doing this.
lrfocke

Post by lrfocke »

Thanks. I was just looking for that answer and tried what you suggested and it works perfectly.
lrfocke

Return to “Installation & Boot”