fileSystem is full

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rezza
Level 1
Level 1

Re: fileSystem is full

Post by rezza »

gm10 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:12 am And yet your disk is full again?
I don't know .
As larry said , i should reconfigure timeshift .
But i can't .
Please look This post .
rezza
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rezza »

What can i do ?? :(
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

My thinking rezza, given the amount of time you have wasted on this, Would it not be prudent, now, just to back everything up, blow it all away, and set it up again with appropriate partition sizes? (now that you know a little more about your needs) Ensuring that you do not set up timeshift (if, at all) to send snapshots to your boot drive.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
rezza
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rezza »

lsemmens wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:23 am My thinking rezza, given the amount of time you have wasted on this, Would it not be prudent, now, just to back everything up, blow it all away, and set it up again with appropriate partition sizes? (now that you know a little more about your needs) Ensuring that you do not set up timeshift (if, at all) to send snapshots to your boot drive.

you say , i should install fresh Linux mint ??
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

That is my thought. It is not the preferred fix, but, the quickest.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
rezza
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rezza »

This is not good for a person like me who wants to become interested in Linux .
This will cause to i return to windows ...
tnx everybody
rezza
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rezza »

Hi again
I created a new partition as "snapShots" name .
And in timeShift , i was allocated snapShots to new partition .
After this , those snapShots taken by timeshift , will allocate in new partition .
Do you think this helps to solve my problem ?
Because before this , snapShots allocated to root partition by 30gb size . and sanpShots require about 18gb size . but there isn't available this size on root partition .
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

Yes, if your root partition is under 40 GB then it's best to save Timeshift snapshots to a larger partition. You could also save the snapshots to external USB flash drive, or an external hard disk drive.

Another option is to not save so many snapshots. For most people, once a week is fine.
Linux Mint 20.3 (Cinnamon)
Linux Mint 19.3 (Cinnamon)
Bodhi Linux 6.0 (MokshaArcGreen)
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
rezza
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rezza »

kevin987 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:33 am Yes, if your root partition is under 40 GB then it's best to save Timeshift snapshots to a larger partition. You could also save the snapshots to external USB flash drive, or an external hard disk drive.

Another option is to not save so many snapshots. For most people, once a week is fine.

I have about 400gb free size in my Hard .
Can i increase root partition more than 30gb ?
My mistake is i assigned a few size for my root and home partition in installation step .
If is need , i increase new partition ?
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

rezza wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:43 am I have about 400gb free size in my Hard .
Can i increase root partition more than 30gb ?
My mistake is i assigned a few size for my root and home partition in installation step .
If is need , i increase new partition ?
Using a live install usb or dvd, you can use GParted to change a partition size.

The easiest fix is to reinstall Mint and only use one large partition for both root and home. Do you really need separate partitions. I never bother with it. I save my personal files to usb in case of a problem. When it's time to upgrade the operating system, I just install the new os to 1 partition.
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
rezza
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rezza »

kevin987 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:58 am
Using a live install usb or dvd, you can use GParted to change a partition size.

The easiest fix is to reinstall Mint and only use one large partition for both root and home. Do you really need separate partitions. I never bother with it. I save my personal files to usb in case of a problem. When it's time to upgrade the operating system, I just install the new os to 1 partition.
Using Gparted maybe caused lossing data ??
kevin987
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kevin987 »

rezza wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:51 am Using Gparted maybe caused lossing data ??
You could lose data. Back up everything you feel is important.
Fedora 35 (Cinnamon)
rezza
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rezza »

kevin987 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:12 am You could lose data. Back up everything you feel is important.
I want to nothing will lose .
What can i do ?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

You can make a complete copy of your home partition to an external medium. But don't do this if the data that was making your filesystem too full is in there; if that is the case, remove that data first.
(Sorry, I'm not going to read through the complete thread.)

Personally I like having a separate home partition. It keeps things simpler in my view. But opinions differ.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rezza
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rezza »

Moem wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:20 am You can make a complete copy of your home partition to an external medium. But don't do this if the data that was making your filesystem too full is in there; if that is the case, remove that data first.
(Sorry, I'm not going to read through the complete thread.)

Personally I like having a separate home partition. It keeps things simpler in my view. But opinions differ.

If i copy whole home partition and after making changes restore that backup , nothing will be lose ??
Even softwares which i installed before ?
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

You will need to reinstall the software, but your files and settings will be kept. As soon as you reinstall the software, the settings for that software will come back.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rezza
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rezza »

Moem wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:46 am You will need to reinstall the software, but your files and settings will be kept. As soon as you reinstall the software, the settings for that software will come back.
I don't know what i did before exactly ...
Is there any way to restore all everything will lost after make changes ??
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

rezza wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:11 am I don't know what i did before exactly ...
I don't see the problem here.
If you find that you need a certain program, you will miss it, and then you can reinstall it and your settings will come back.
If you do not need it, you will not miss it and not reinstall it.

There are ways to make backups of everything but I honestly wonder whether that will go well for you. I feel that you should not make things too complicated.

rezza
Level 1
Level 1

Post by rezza »

Moem wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:15 am I don't see the problem here.
If you find that you need a certain program, you will miss it, and then you can reinstall it and your settings will come back.
If you do not need it, you will not miss it and not reinstall it.

There are ways to make backups of everything but I honestly wonder whether that will go well for you. I feel that you should not make things too complicated.
I think I do not say well what I mean.
When i installed Linux on my system , my friend did some work and he did some settings that i don't know what did he .
And now i'm worried about if i change partition size , i will lost those settings .
Because of this , i want to nothing changes after backing up from home partition and change partitions sizes and restore home partition .
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

It's very hard to backup something if you don't know what and where it is! But if it's in the home partition, it should come back after restoring the home partition from your backup.
And if you are lucky, resizing your partitions will not result in any data loss. That is also possible. It's not certain that you will even need the backup. But you should make it just in case.

Return to “Beginner Questions”