Mint won't let me use the HDD partition I made

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bluesberryinn

Mint won't let me use the HDD partition I made

Post by bluesberryinn »

Must get taxes done. Mint Insanity. Trying to switch from Windows to Mint but Mint's INSANE permissions regime has me wondering if it's ready for PRIME TIME.

New Dell W10 laptop w/1TB WD HDD. Installed 500GB SSD and then put Mint 19.1 on that. Planned to use the 1TB HDD as working storage, so made a 586 GB partition on it, then transferred all the data on my old laptop's HDD to that. Silly me. Mint REFUSES to give me any rights on the 586 GB. I did EVERYTHING: In terminal, used chown and chmod w/sudo, ran with no errors YET STILL DENIES ME. This is insane. I MUST get my taxes done.Do I have to go back to Windows???

Why would Mint deny me use of a partition I made? CRAZY.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Re: MINT WON'T LET ME USE THE HDD PARTITION I MADE

Post by AndyMH »

Assume the partition you created is NTFS. Have you turned off fast boot in win 10? If win hasn't shut down properly mint is not going to give you read/write access.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
HaveaMint
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Mint won't let me use the HDD partition I made

Post by HaveaMint »

bluesberryinn wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:45 am Mint Insanity.
So you wait until the last second to do your taxes and do a system change and call it "Mint insanity"? When you point your finger at Mint remember that three fingers are pointing back at you.
"Tune for maximum Smoke and then read the Instructions".
bluesberryinn

Re: Mint won't let me use the HDD partition I made

Post by bluesberryinn »

AndyMH, Thanks, maybe that was it. Yes it was NTFS. W10 was damaged, and I just repaired it with a CZ image. So I went to the partition and was able to at least rename (before it denied me even that). Not familiar with W10 fast boot (it does boot very slow) so I need to learn about that. When I get time and can verify it's OK I'll put solved in the subject.

Return to “Other topics”