Humanity's First Legitimate Image of a Black Hole...

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Humanity's First Legitimate Image of a Black Hole...

Post by Portreve »

rene wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:00 pm Never quite understood why 2001 became a classic. Sheesh, does that movie ever suck...
While I can appreciate 2001, and I have come to have more appreciation for it having watched a presentation on Stanley Kubrick and his specific goals and vision for it, clearly it's not the most exciting film thanks to its lack of pacing.

Actually, fun fact: much of Star Trek: The Motion Picture's styling comes from the influence 2001 still had at that time.

Not-So-Fun-Fact: ST:TMP really sucks. It, in fact, sucks so much that it can be used as a substitute for a residential vacuum cleaner.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

rene wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:00 pm Never quite understood why 2001 became a classic. Sheesh, does that movie ever suck...
With a comment like that, you just don't get it! I've seen the movie numerous times over the years and read the book several times. The end is "out there" but the rest is quite believable. Of course, we did not quite get there with the technology by 2001.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

lsemmens wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:27 pm The end is "out there" but the rest is quite believable.
What do I care whether or not it's believable? What it certainly is is tedious. As in, slow, while not using slowness for anything but more tedium. Plodding, point- and endless hippie shit.
MrEen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by MrEen »

I was quite young when my father took to me to see it in a theater (re-release, not 1968.) To this day it is the only movie I have walked out on during the screening.
Dad said, "Don't you want to stay til the end?" I should have answered, "I am afraid I can't do that Dad." Instead, a rather meek "No" was all I could muster. I was exhausted!

Hell, I even watched Santa Claus versus the Martians in it's entirety. :oops:
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

MrEen wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:17 am To this day it is the only movie I have walked out on during the screening.
"Pi" (1998) holds that distinction for me. Thinking of how much worse 2001 is compared to even that I quite feel for you. The torment of having to choose between disappointing your dad and sitting through that bloody thing... I mean, ouch. For what it's worth, know that you made the right choice!
Fuzzy Penquin

Post by Fuzzy Penquin »

Re: black hole... Loved the photos they got! Space is a fascinating place. I will read or look at pics of that subject matter all day long without boredom. :mrgreen:

Re: 2001... I've seen it once, as a kid, when it was on tv. I don't even remember it anymore, or whether I liked it. Judging by the comments here, it might be best consumed via book where the author isn't dealing with a time limit, the character's thoughts can be made known to the reader, better details on things/scenes, etc. Or maybe not at all.... some stories just aren't that good.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

I saw 2001 long before I ever read the book.

You know how we always complain about how the movie is never like the book? Well, let me tell you, the way the movie was paced and largely how it was filmed is pretty much like the book. In fact, the 2010, 2061, and 3001 follow-up books are just like it, too.

rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Although never a fan of Arthur C. Clarke I am in fact somewhat of an aficionado of fifties, sixties, seventies, (mostly American) SF in book form. Specifically the more sociological kind; Asimov, say. I believe I actually still have 2001 lying about unread somewhere as a book. Could probably stomach it in that form...

The hobby's been frustrated by me these days using an e-reader exclusively, not caring much for reading fiction in English, and an enormous pool of tremendously well-translated such SF not being republished electronically due to annoying rights issues. Just can't buy it any more...
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

There are three authors in particular for whom I have an immense amount of respect, but whom I feel cannot (could not; they're all deceased now) plot or pace a story to save their lives: Clarke, Tolkien, and Clancy.

I have had a mind to do a fanfic rewrite (not an edit, but start over from scratch) of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I also have another, different fanfic writing project that I've started, stopped, started again, stopped again, picked up and looked at again, and have yet to go any further with. There was a time when it was a very important thing for me, but in recent years it's gotten pushed so far back on my list of things to do that I don't know if I'll ever get to it.

rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

As to their pure SF, quite appreciate Isaac Asimov, Poul Anderson, Frederik Pohl, Stanislaw Lem, David Brin, Greg Bear, ...

Not any of them is for now being injected into my language-zone electronically. Dusty stacks of paper is what remains of them...
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Two years ago there was a TED talk by the imaging scientist developing the algorithms to create this image: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIvezCVcsYs

They had to process 5 petabytes of data (5 million gigabytes), stored on half a ton of hard disks, recorded by radio telescopes from around the globe.
Faust

Post by Faust »

xenopeek wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:50 am Two years ago there was a TED talk by the imaging scientist developing the algorithms to create this image: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIvezCVcsYs

They had to process 5 petabytes of data (5 million gigabytes), stored on half a ton of hard disks, recorded by radio telescopes from around the globe.
It's a mind-boggling quantity of raw data for that black hole image .
I saw a photo a couple of days ago showing all of the drives stacked up , ready to be sent to the next destination ....
... as freight !!

It was deemed to be quicker that way than via internet ..... :)

I never thought I would see a black hole .
Nor did I expect to see an image of a single atom , but it's been done ( albeit in a matrix at near to zero Kelvins )

Wonderous stuff indeed !

Now I'm waiting to see an image of a quark .... :mrgreen:
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Faust wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:15 am Now I'm waiting to see an image of a quark .... :mrgreen:

Here ya go!

xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

My mind went there as well, but I didn't dare post it. Ferengi copyright probably means you owe him a strip of latinum now :lol:
Faust

Post by Faust »

I didn't see that one coming ..... :lol:
I faintly remember Ferengi , but no recollection of Quark

xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

"Knowledge equals profit." — 74th Rule of Acquisition
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Ardwok

Post by Ardwok »

Portreve wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:05 pm Mmmmm... Doughnuts.
Agreed, but more like astronomical doughnuts.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

Here's another random idea... see if you gentlemen can tell based on style which 70s sci fi series this is from (hint hint)...
xenopeek wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:52 pm My mind went there as well, but I didn't dare post it.
catweazel wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:34 pm lmao

lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

BOT: On another discussion of the image of the Black hole, the observation was made that the image seemed contradictory. If a black hole is absorbing matter from all around it surely then we would not see the black bit in the middle. It is not a "drain" in space, but a 3D entity absorbing matter in 3 dimensions (maybe more but that is not the point). If that is the case, surely the corona would propagate in 3 dimensions, too so that, to the observer, the black hole would, in fact, look like a sun?
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message

Return to “Open Chat”