Google Stadia (a new game-streaming service) on Linux/Vulkan

Chat about Linux in general
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Google Stadia (a new game-streaming service) on Linux/Vulkan

Post by rene »

Don't believe I've seen this here yet; could in fact be significant news for once. Google's new "Stadia" game-streaming service will run on Linux and use the Vulkan 3D API. Even if you're not a believer in game streaming as such, certainly this means that quite a number of the biggest titles will be made to run on Linux / use Vulkan. And that in fact seems interesting...

https://fossbytes.com/google-stadia-lin ... en-source/
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Google Stadia (a new game-streaming service) on Linux/Vulkan

Post by jimallyn »

I'm not a gamer, but for those who are, and for Linux in general, this sounds like a good thing!
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

jimallyn wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:12 pm I'm not a gamer, but [ ... ]
Nor me certainly but newest games are the highest-demand use-case for home users. Huge numbers and types of supported input peripherals, lowest latency, best GPU drivers, ...

Add in Steam's Proton and perhaps there's some glimmer of an interesting coming couple of years.
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

rene wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:14 pm Google's new "Stadia" game-streaming service will run on Linux and use the Vulkan 3D API.
Is Google's new cloud gaming service scalable? Yes but it may not be affordable, warns edge-computing CEO
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/04/1 ... olystream/
To make Stadia work, Google may need to limit the number of customers to a few million, in order to not choke the world's Internet bandwidth since to stream a game video in 4k to a player via Chrome requires at least 50Mbps.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

I'm afraid I no longer follow "The Register" links. It's become nothing but a repository of IT soap opera clickbait.

Return to “Chat about Linux”