[SOLVED] Crash on boot

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mhenriday

[SOLVED] Crash on boot

Post by mhenriday »

When I rebooted my system running 64-bit Mint 19.1 a console appeared on the screen with the following message :
/dev/sda1 contains a filesystem with errors, check forced.
/dev/sda1 : UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY ; run fsck MANUALLY
(i.e., without -a or -p options)
fsck exited with status code 4
The root filesystem on /dev/sda1 requires a manual fsck

BusyBox v1.272 (Ubunt 1:1 272-2ubuntu 3.2) built-in shell (ash)
Enter'help' for a list of built-in commands.
(initramfs) _ [prompt]
Where do I go from here (hope I'm not forced to reinstall, as it's been a while since I performed a manual backup).... :(

Henri
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Crash on boot

Post by Larry78723 »

I would start by following the instructions in the console:
Open a terminal and run fsck and post the results in your reply.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

Larry78723 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:04 am I would start by following the instructions in the console:
Thanks for your speedy reply, Larry, ! That's precisely my problem - as the system refuses to boot, I can't access a terminal. When I try running fsck after the (initrams) prompt in the console, the information I posted above, i e, that /dev/sda1 contains a file with errors and that I should run fsck MANUALLY, appears again. The point is that under the circumstances, I've been unable to find any way to run fsck manually....

Henri
Last edited by mhenriday on Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

Larry78723 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:04 am I would start by following the instructions in the console:
+1

And also I would grab a usb drive and try to backup whatever you can from that drive.
Boot with a live usb and run fsck. What I mean by live usb is the linux mint disk you used to install.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

mhenriday wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:23 am I've been unable to find any way to run fsck manually....
Start a live session and use lsblk to identify the correct drive, then do the fsck from there.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

catweazel wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:56 am
mhenriday wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:23 am I've been unable to find any way to run fsck manually....
Start a live session and use lsblk to identify the correct drive, then do the fsck from there.
Thanks for your reply, catweazel ; now we\re getting somewhere ! I had simply forgotten the option of booting from a flash drive (which is not without its problems, as the keyboard is then attuned to English, rather than the Swedish I generally use ; thus I find myself frequently typing the wrong characters). When I run lsblk in a terminal, the following is displayed :
lsblk_20019-04-13_2-32-11.png
lsblk_20019-04-13_2-32-11.png (18.18 KiB) Viewed 2648 times
But how do I then run fsck «from there» (which I interpret to mean from /sda1). If I simply enter fsck after the prompt, I get :
fsck-kommando_2019-04-13_12-48-48.png
fsck-kommando_2019-04-13_12-48-48.png (3.66 KiB) Viewed 2648 times
which is not of much help....

Henri
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

mhenriday wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:57 am But how do I then run fsck «from there» (which I interpret to mean from /sda1). If I simply enter fsck after the prompt, I get :
https://www.maketecheasier.com/check-re ... sck-linux/
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

catweazel wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:09 am
mhenriday wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:57 am But how do I then run fsck «from there» (which I interpret to mean from /sda1). If I simply enter fsck after the prompt, I get :
https://www.maketecheasier.com/check-re ... sck-linux/
Alas, catweazel, the following is what appears in a terminal when I run fsck /sda1 :
fsck_sda1_2019-04-13_14-08-50.png
the first attempt without mounting my SSD ; the second after doing so. Again not much help....

What I am wondering is if - and in that case how - I can use Timeshift to resolve the problem by going back to, e g, a previous snapshot and restore from there. Any suggestions ?...

Henri
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

mhenriday wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:30 am Any suggestions ?...
Yes. Read the page at the link I gave you. I don't see how you could miss the instruction it gives: fsck /dev/sda1.
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

First you have to read directions carefully or no amount of help will suffice. The link catweazel posted clearly advises the proper way to run fsck.

Code: Select all

fsck /dev/sda1
sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor »

catweazel wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:54 am
Yes. Read the page at the link I gave you. I don't see how you could miss the instruction it gives: fsck /dev/sda1.
He he you beat me to it. I think you must be faster than me which is clearly seen by your avatar. ;)
mhenriday

Re: Crash on boot [Solved !]

Post by mhenriday »

catweazel wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:54 am
My most profound apologies, catweazel ; not my best day, I'm afraid. But after booting from a flash drive and then running sudo fsck /dev/sda1 in a terminal from there and (carefully) following instructions, /sda1 was repaired and I could reboot from my SSD. Many thanks for bearing with me !... :wink:

Henri
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

mhenriday wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:15 pm Many thanks for bearing with me !... :wink:
Following that scare, you may want to backup your treasured stuff.

Cheers.
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

catweazel wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:21 pm
mhenriday wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:15 pm Many thanks for bearing with me !... :wink:
Following that scare, you may want to backup your treasured stuff.

Cheers.
Have done. But again, I wonder if, in the event, this simple (when, that is, one knows how to do it) reparation hadn't sufficed, if Timeshare could have been brought to bear - and if so, just how ?...

Thanks again for your help !... 👍

Henri
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

mhenriday wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:12 am Have done. But again, I wonder if, in the event, this simple (when, that is, one knows how to do it) reparation hadn't sufficed, if Timeshare could have been brought to bear - and if so, just how ?...
A timeshift restore would not have fixed this issue. Only fsck.

Cheers.
mhenriday

Post by mhenriday »

catweazel wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:27 am
mhenriday wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:12 am Have done. But again, I wonder if, in the event, this simple (when, that is, one knows how to do it) reparation hadn't sufficed, if Timeshare could have been brought to bear - and if so, just how ?...
A timeshift restore would not have fixed this issue. Only fsck.

Cheers.
So it seems, given that the error lay in the file system on my SSD, which couldn't be accessed until the error was repaired....

Live and learn.... 👍

Henri

Return to “Installation & Boot”