Problem with titlebars

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
brennus

Problem with titlebars

Post by brennus »

Hello,

I'm having a slight problem with my system. After doing somewhat (I do not remember what), perhaps checking some checkboxes in Compiz settings manager now my system does not show me the titlebars of any program. Taskbar is also empty. However, when I go to the Appearence section and enable Normal or Extra effects, and apply them, everything goes back to normal. But on the next boot I again have not taskbars items, no titlebars and no effects enabled. Tried reinstalling video drivers in Hardware Manager - didn't help. Any ideas?

Jonas
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: Problem with titlebars

Post by emorrp1 »

Do you have this problem (Intel video): http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=27829
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

You may want to check this post from Thursday, member with the same problem:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=27829

regards, Richard
brennus

Post by brennus »

No, I'm having Nvidia chipset and graphics card... Tried everything in that thread, nothing's working. I guess I'll just have to reinstall Gloria.
Here what I get when type compiz --replace &:

jonas@jonas-laptop ~ $ compiz --replace &
Checking for Xgl: [1] 12318
jonas@jonas-laptop ~ $ not present.
xset q doesn't reveal the location of the log file. Using fallback /var/log/Xorg.0.log
Detected PCI ID for VGA:
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: present.
Checking for non power of two support: present.
Checking for Composite extension: present.
Checking screen 1Comparing resolution (1280x800) to maximum 3D texture size (4096): Passed.
Checking for Software Rasterizer: Not present.
Checking for nVidia: present.
Checking for FBConfig: present.
Checking for Xgl: not present.
/usr/bin/compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format

But it's all when I change the Visual effects. However, when I don't see those titlebars, I cannot even type into terminal, just paste into it, but enter does not work :)
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Brennus,
I see you've tried the compiz --replace &

Now try the:

Code: Select all

emerald --replace &
Emerald is the Windows Decorator used by Compiz. Worth a try.

good luck, Richard
brennus

Post by brennus »

Nope, not working. Tried metacity --replace &, editing Compiz effects, even disabled some kind of checks in some compiz file, nothing works. It seems that Compiz just "forgets" the options on reboot and uses some kind of broken default one. :( Damn, shouldn't have installed all those updates...
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

Don't give up quite yet! :?
I think I remember that there are two ways in Gloria for desktop effects, and if both are trying to run . . . .
I'm going to log off in a bit, and log into my Gloria partition to check it out. I'll post back here when I have the info.

Richard
brennus

Post by brennus »

Hm, if there was a possibility to automatically re-select Video effects on logon, it would be great, as it fixes things... until the next reboot. During last ten minutes tried reinstalling xorg, drivers... Everything is the same. :( Will be waiting for anything that might help...
RedWagon

Post by RedWagon »

what about this:

gtk-window-decorator  --replace &
brennus

Post by brennus »

RedWagon wrote:what about this:

gtk-window-decorator  --replace &
Nope, not working...
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

1) Go to preferences -> mintDesktop, and make sure Gnome Compositing is unchecked.
2) Go to preferences -> Appearance -> Visual Effects, there you can try 'Normal' or 'Extra' instead of 'Custom'

just something to try.

regards, Richard

ps: there IS a difference since the last updates, as my mouse switcher has stopped working?
brennus

Post by brennus »

Nothing. :( I hope upcoming updates will solve these problems... It's against logic that I can have a working system without updates and broken system with the latest ones. I guess they should test them more before releasing to the public.

Return to “Beginner Questions”