Random crashes with Firefox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Rokurosv

Random crashes with Firefox

Post by Rokurosv »

Sometimes I'm browsing and all of the sudden when I click something or go to a link, Firefox crashes and the whole desktop crashes too. I can't even change to a tty. All that's left is to force shutdown my laptop. I don't have many tabs open when it happens. Where should I start looking? I'm not that sure it's FF all by itself cause the whole system goes down, so maybe I should look for hard disk errors or something that's wrong with my system. Here are my specs:

Celeron M 1.6 Ghz
512 MB RAM
Mobile Express 915GM Graphics Controller
Partitioning Scheme:
/boot ext3
/ ext4
swap
/home ext4

I'm using Gloria, with no visual effects or GNOME composition.

Thanks for your time.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
lagagnon

Re: Random crashes with Firefox

Post by lagagnon »

Random crashes are usually indicative of faulty hardware, being as no other person has posted such serious problems re FF and Mint.

When this happens is the base of your laptop really hot?, ie it is shutting down due to overheating....
I would do the following:

1) ensure you know what make/model hard drive you have
2) download and burn a copy of the Ultimate Boot CD
3) boot from that CD and run Memtest to see if you have and RAM stick problems. (you can also run Memtest from the Mint CD)
4) run the hard drive diagnostic application on the UBCD for your appropriate HD
5) if all above OK then probably overheating or faulty CPU.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

I find most FF crashes are due to Flash, though as you say, that shouldn't take down the whole system.
oakhilltop
Level 2
Level 2

Post by oakhilltop »

My wife said this happened to her the other night. She clicked on some link in firefox, it crashed and she ended up having to reboot. I don't have any more details than that.
ashwinhgtx

Post by ashwinhgtx »

Well it could be be due to the buggy intel drivers in Jaunty.
I used to get crashes similar to yours when I had just 512MB RAM. Always used to be Firefox, sometimes with Flash; the whole system froze. I had to do a hard reboot.
I upgraded to 2GB RAM and now I have no problems.But at that time I was running Fiesty, Hardy, Intrepid etc based distros including Mint. Now I am on Gloria. But even when I had that problem only Ubuntu based distros caused it. Puppy, Pardus and even PC-BSD were fine. It used to happen more with Gnome than KDE.
But I haven't had that problem for a really long time with Jaunty or Gloria.

Return to “Software & Applications”