[SOLVED] How do I write Spanish in Linux Mint 19.1?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
physrito
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] How do I write Spanish in Linux Mint 19.1?

Post by physrito »

I am quite new to Linux. :D

I want to write Spanish in my laptop. I don't know how to write the accented characters.

I went to input preferences and added Spanish. I can now easily switch between English and Spanish.

When I select Spanish it shows "ES" at the right end of the panel. But I have no idea how to write Spanish.

What to do? Please help me. :(
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: How do I write Spanish in Linux Mint 19.1?

Post by rene »

Cinnamon? Under Preferences -> Keyboard -> Layouts you with "+" add the correct layout for your physical keyboard, probably simply "Spanish". Through the keyboard icon to the right of fore mentioned "+" you can view the actual layout; right-hand side symbols on the keys you produce with AltGr+Key / AltGr+Shift+Key.

[EDIT] Noticing you said "accented characters" and that the plain Spanish layout does not in fact have regular accented characters on separate keys. The accents work as so-called "dead keys" though: try e.g. ' and e to procedure é.
Faust

Post by Faust »

For occasional use I didn't trouble the keyboard layout .

It's been a while since I wrote In Spanish ( using a keyboard ) and it was probably on that other OS .
Eg. for Mañana I would hit "Alt + 0241 " to get " ñ "

Dunno about Linux ..... I saw this for Ubuntu but haven't tried it yet
https://www.thoughtco.com/panish-accent ... tu-3080298

But you've got to wonder about a website that can't spell " Spanish " in it's own URL ..... :mrgreen:
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi
If you prefer (for example if you're writing in English but with some Spanish) you can go to preferences, keyboard and choose US international with dead keys. This will allow you to write in both languages, without changing keyboard layouts.
Hope this helps
Regards
D
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

David1293 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:31 am... you can go to preferences, keyboard and choose US international with dead keys.
I use "US international with dead keys" with a regular American Keyboard and it works but it is annoying because it does not work like "US international" works in Windows which I like better.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Neither Faust nor David appears to take into account that an actual Spanish keyboard has physically different keycaps: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QWERTY#Spanish

I.e., if he has an actual Spanish keyboard it would be rather confusing to try and type e.g. ; according to the physical key and get < due to a physical US layout being assumed in software. You "need" a software layout that matches the physical layout with variation possible only as to symbols not physically on the keycaps (which I believe for Spanish keyboards as found on laptops may include various AltGr symbols, so that would I assume make for little layout freedom).

[EDIT] Picture of a Spanish laptop keyboard: https://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Keyboard ... B071CYXH8M
David1293
Level 4
Level 4

Post by David1293 »

Hi, all.
Rene, I stand corrected. I was assuming that the OP was using a US keyboard, and trying to type in Spanish using it.

Regards
D
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Well, he may I suppose. Don't know which percentage of Spanish-language users use US rather than native physical keyboards but generally internationally there are language-regions where for all practical intents and purposes hardly any do. In fact, most that I'm aware of, so I shall for now assume physical Spanish layout...
GS3
Level 8
Level 8

Post by GS3 »

Yes, we are talking about two very different things here. One is how to load the driver for a keyboard with Spanish keys and layout and a very different one is to generate Spanish characters using a regular American keyboard.
Please do not use animated GIFs in avatars because many of us find them distracting and obnoxious. Thank you.
bally1001

Post by bally1001 »

Hi,
Just read your query regarding writing in Spanish. I hope I have read your query correctly....I have 19.1 installed and my keyboard is European Spanish. To write the accented vowels press the key to the left of "Ç" together with the vowel.

Hope this helps

Return to “Beginner Questions”