completely offline installation for Africa including all codecs, language packs and ubuntu-restricted-extras

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
quentinb
Level 1
Level 1

completely offline installation for Africa including all codecs, language packs and ubuntu-restricted-extras

Post by quentinb » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:32 am

In the second world of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRICS nations) many people are still online with dialup 33kbps so it is not practical to do 300MB downloads during installations and a complete offline version would be priceless and accelerate adoption of linux significantly.

deepakdeshp
Level 16
Level 16

Re: completely offline installation for Africa including all codecs, language packs and ubuntu-restricted-extras

Post by deepakdeshp » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:43 pm

One has to purchase the install media if it can't be downloaded. Some magazines offer them free
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Regards,
Deepak

I am using Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

quentinb
Level 1
Level 1

Re: completely offline installation for Africa including all codecs, language packs and ubuntu-restricted-extras

Post by quentinb » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:14 am

Even with the media, I'm talking about the installation routine that has to download codecs and ms ttf for 300MB, which is too much for non-broadband connections. I'm not talking about media.

michael louwe
Level 10
Level 10

Post by michael louwe » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:41 am

quentinb wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:32 am
In the second world of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa (BRICS nations) many people are still online with dialup 33kbps so it is not practical to do 300MB downloads during installations and a complete offline version would be priceless and accelerate adoption of linux significantly.
AFAIK, you can still do the install of LM with the Internet disconnected = nothing downloaded during the install = after install, the OS is functional. After the install, you will then likely need to install mint-meta-codecs, Language packs, etc, may also need to install certain proprietary Wifi adapter driver and the latest security updates(= 100MB or more).

Dial-up Internet = 33kbit/s = 56kbps.

Dial-up Internet was the common technology during Win 95/98/XP days when every new OEM Win 95/98/XP computer came with a free Install Windows CD and most updates from the Windows Update website were only a few kb in size. The Win 95/98/XP ISO file was only about 300/400/500MB in size = took about 2 hours to download the 400MB ISO file on Dial-up.
....... The OEMs stopped providing free Windows Install DVD with their new computers from Win 8 onward, ie from 2012 onward. They replaced it with a Recovery partition on the internal hard-drive = to do an inplace Factory Reset or Refresh, similar to smartphones. For outplace Windows recovery/reinstall, users were supposed to create their own Windows Recovery USB flash-drive or Install DVD/USB.

Today, the Win 7 ISO file size is about 2.3GB and Win 10 ISO file is about 3.5GB and the monthly Patch Rollups of Win 7 and cumulative updates of Win 10 can run up to about 1GB or more. The Ubuntu 18.04/LM 19 ISO file size is 1.8GB.
....... It is quite impossible to run Win 7/10 or Ubuntu 18.04/LM 19 with Dial-up Internet. Similarly for those on slow ADSL Fixed Broadband Internet(= 1 to 2 Mbps) or on low monthly Data-caps(= 5 to 10GB) from Mobile Cellular and Satellite Broadband Internet. For those on Dial-up Internet, they will need to borrow faster Broadband Internet from elsewhere, eg Starbucks Wifi, public library, etc.
P S - An alternative to slow Dial-up Narrowband Internet is 3G Mobile Cellular Broadband via a 3G USB modem dongle(often Windows-only) = 1 to 4.7Mbps and usually Data-capped. Coverage in urban and suburban areas should be good.
....... I'm using 4G/LTE Mobile Cellular Broadband to Wifi hotspot connect from my 4G/LTE Android 8.0 tablet-phone to my dual-booted LM/Win 7 laptop = 5Mbps and unlimited data. I live in the suburbs. Average 4G/LTE Internet speed is about 20Mbps. If I pay much more for my Internet plan, I can get about 15Mbps and unlimited data on 4G/LTE.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”