Why did you decide to install Linux Mint?

Chat about anything related to Linux Mint
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
iain_33
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint??

Post by iain_33 »

I've been a Windows user since 3.1, up to and including Vista. I didn't use every version in between - I still ran Windows 98 until 2009, it did everything I needed so I didn't see the point of paying considerable sums of money for upgrades, until eventually the elderly home-built hardware became troublesome and I bought a laptop with Vista.

Vista was fine for me at first, despite the bad press, but it quickly became slow, sluggish and bogged down - booting took a good five minutes, and even after the desktop appeared it remained sluggish for another 5 minutes until I could start doing anything. Something had to be done. I could try reinstalling Vista from the recovery disks but I balked at the thought of how long it would take after install to do years worth of updates. Windows 7 was on the scene by that point, but again it was a considerable cost.

I'd discovered and played with Knoppix at some point by this time, but I didn't really think it was serious, a "real" OS. After all, if the Windows OS costs so much, how can an OS that's given away for free be any good?

But still, I had to do something about Vista so I googled Knoppix again, and discovered that it was far from the only free OS, and far from the best, and that yes, these free OS's are taken quite seriously. It dawned on me that I'd been using FOSS for some time - Gimp, Firefox, OpenOffice - and these were full-featured pieces of kit, not just toys. So I took it seriously. I quickly homed in on this one called Linux Mint, in that it was beginner-friendly and familiar to Windows ex-pats, was well supported for drivers and codecs and had a good forum for support (hi 8) ), and a software centre where you can find and install all your apps - wow! No more trawling the internet and downloading installers of unknown trustworthiness.

I can't quite remember what version it was, I think it was 12, but after playing with live sessions for a while, I took the plunge, wiped Vista and installed Mint. What a breath of fresh air - so fast, so slick, so much more space on my HDD. So many options, so much I could change and alter. I switched back and forth between desktop environments and add-ons and had to reinstall a few times after I messed up but even that was easy compared to the thought of reinstalling Windows.

But after a while it got a bit tiresome. Some first impressions left a bit to be desired, I tried to keep in mind that it was free after all, I shouldn't expect too much. Some things felt a bit amateur and not ready for release to the wide world. I liked Cinnamon, but I think it was in its early days and it was buggy and incomplete. I was spending as much time configuring, getting things working, searching forums and Google for workarounds for things that "just worked" on Windows, as I was actually using the system. I didn't need to post much on the forum because I found older posts for the same issues, but I kept comimg up against the attitude that if the problem was that "I can't do X that I used to do on Windows", the response was "well Linux is not Windows!". Not really the point, and not helpful.

After a few months of trying, I paid up for Windows 7 and wiped Linux. I'd tried, but maybe it wasn't for me. I was comfortable back in Windows. It was miles better than Vista, and things "just worked" again.

Then came Windows 10. I got sick of being pestered to upgrade, and realised it was inevitable as Win 7 would soon go the way of XP, so I may as well take the upgrade while it's free. So I did. It was back to "first impressions" again. It felt unfinished and botched, like they'd taken bits of Windows 7, butchered them for the sake of change and left it as a half-baked mix of old and new. It was confusing and it looked terrible. Then I found the security and privacy controls. You're collecting what? And I can't turn it off?! And oh, the updates. I'd turn the laptop on... "please wait, installing updates"... it's ok Microsoft, I didn't actually want to use my laptop tonight. I'd shut it down - "please wait, installing updates" - erm I shut it down because I had other places to go / things to do... nevermind. Thee, four hours at a time. Each one to give me new features I had no interest in. Not to mention the garbage that installs itself without asking and places itself in the Start menu. Candy Crush? Go away. The system was getting sluggish again, to the point of unusable. It was running hotter and hotter too, even on light tasks, to the point of real concern - it was going to push my now-elderly laptop over the edge.

So I decided to give Linux another go, but expected that over the years since I first tried it, Mint would have left my old hardware behind and I'd have to try something lighter. So I asked some questions here and was recommended to try MATE. I did, to my surprise it worked, and I liked it. I agonised for a while over how to run it, specifically how to arrange a Windows 10 dual-boot - I'd probably need a bigger HDD. Then one day I thought, blow it, erased the Windows partition and installed Mint... and here I am.

I'm pleased to say Mint had matured a lot since I first tried it, it seems more complete, more professional, less buggy. I don't need to do as much in the terminal as I did before, but I do anyway because I'm familiar with it now, and it's quicker. The forum has matured too, I've not come across any of the old "Linux is not Windows" - maybe the gaps have been filled - Linux can now do all that Windows can do. It "just works", for me at least. I've still got stuff to do, still some things to fix and get working properly. I thought I'd still need Windows for one or two things, but a few months on, I can't remember what. The Windows 10 ISO that I downloaded just in case is still sitting there unused, I might as well delete it.
Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon on Lenovo Legion Y540 laptop (2020)
Starkman

Post by Starkman »

I'm a pretty plain vanilla guy. I don't like fancy themes, colors and what have you. Further, I wanted something (in migrating out of Windows into Linux) that was simple enough and, perhaps, similar as possible in looks to Windows just to get me started. Mint certainly is that.

Finally, though I know computers well enough to get around quite comfortably (at least in Windows), this stuff is not intuitive to me. When people answer a question I ask with, "Oh, it's obvious: you click here, type this and that and then click here," I'm, like, uh...okay, I don't know how you think I would know this without being told, but sure! (This is particularly the case with LibreOffice. The program is great, but it's not intuitive in behind-the-scenes stuff, like adding page numbering and what have you.)

So, with Mint being simple, straight-forward and to the point, it got my attention. Currently, I'm running a fresh install on a seven-year-old system I built so that I can learn it well enough to put it on my yet-to-be-build brand new system...which I have GOT to get to building...right after I master Linux...HA!

So that's my story.
Inundated
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Inundated »

Inundated wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:59 pm
Moem wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:54 am Thinkpad? Join the club!
Nah, it's a ThinkCentre M83 desktop. Got it really cheap from a computer learning charity, and them already having Linux Mint on it pushed me over the buying line...

I'll figure out the laptop later.
And now, I have. A ThinkPad L412 laptop arrived today, and I'm using it now.

It's been a great start. This thing came with Windows 7 Professional only, so I dual booted with Mint 19.1.

The only mistake I made? Making the Windows partition as large as it is, half the 500 GB drive. I meant to take it down to 100 GB or something, but I goofed and hit "back" instead of "continue", which brought the partition back to 50/50 Linux/Windows.

I will figure out how to use GParted later to shrink the Windows 7 partition, which I only kept around for emergency Windows compatibility reasons. I may blow it out entirely before the 2020 EOL...
LAPTOP: HP - Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon via SSD with Windows 11 on hardware
DESKTOP: Lenovo ThinkCentre M83 SFF- Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon (on hold for now)
Arch_Enemy
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Arch_Enemy »

mediclaser wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:32 am
lsemmens wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:09 am
MurphCID wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:46 am Tell us how you REALLY feel :) I still have Windows for Photoshop, iTunes, and games.
Gimp is plenty good enough to replace photoshop.
This is very true. Of course my photo editing skills is very basic, but GIMP lets me do everything I did with Photoshop:
- Curves / exposure adjustment
- Retouching (healing, cloning, etc.)
- Vignette
- Sharpening
- White balance

The only thing I'm missing (and it is very important) is a RAW converter that is as easy to use as Canon DPP. The only reason I use RAW is to get something better than the out-of-camera JPEG quality. But I can't even match the default JPEG quality using DarkTable or RawTherapee.
Corel Aftershot Pro. It is marketed as a RAW editor and cover most camera formats out there. Not as powerful as GiMp (and not such a hard learning curve) but if all you're doing is editing photos it's very adept. It also comes with Perfectly Clear, and will work on jpgs as well, but you lose the White Balance feature. However, there is an eyedropper near the White Balance function, and in jpgs you can click the dropper, select a white area and VOILA! White balance is corrected!

I think the current sale is $49, but you can run it on 3 devices; I have it on my Windows drive and on Mint. And they often have a blowout where they price it at $29. There is a 30 day trial as well.
I have travelled 37629424162.9 miles in my lifetime

One thing I would suggest, create a partition as a 50G partition as /. Partition the rest as /Home. IF the system fails, reinstall and use the exact same username and all your 'stuff' comes back to you.
Shadow in Fire
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Shadow in Fire »

Tried Ubuntu on and off since 2011. Wasn't sure if I was ready yet. Then, when Unity was released, I decided to give it another go. One of the most miserable experiences, ever. I don't understand how anyone in their right mind would think that's a good DE by the slightest. It was then and there that I'd decided to just stick with Windows...until a friend mentioned how great Linux Mint was. I installed the Cinnamon release and played around with it for a bit. Turned out to be less of a miserable experience, despite still being Ubuntu with a different DE. Cinnamon was still giving me problems, such as screen freezing and unable to access shell, so I made the jump to Xfce. Two years later, still happy.

I do plan on abandoning Linux Mint soon, sadly, as I disagree with the direction things are going. It's for a different thread.
[rua]

Post by [rua] »

Arch_Enemy wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:00 am
mediclaser wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:32 am
lsemmens wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:09 am
Gimp is plenty good enough to replace photoshop.
This is very true. Of course my photo editing skills is very basic, but GIMP lets me do everything I did with Photoshop:
- Curves / exposure adjustment
- Retouching (healing, cloning, etc.)
- Vignette
- Sharpening
- White balance

The only thing I'm missing (and it is very important) is a RAW converter that is as easy to use as Canon DPP. The only reason I use RAW is to get something better than the out-of-camera JPEG quality. But I can't even match the default JPEG quality using DarkTable or RawTherapee.
Corel Aftershot Pro. It is marketed as a RAW editor and cover most camera formats out there. Not as powerful as GiMp (and not such a hard learning curve) but if all you're doing is editing photos it's very adept. It also comes with Perfectly Clear, and will work on jpgs as well, but you lose the White Balance feature. However, there is an eyedropper near the White Balance function, and in jpgs you can click the dropper, select a white area and VOILA! White balance is corrected!

I think the current sale is $49, but you can run it on 3 devices; I have it on my Windows drive and on Mint. And they often have a blowout where they price it at $29. There is a 30 day trial as well.
I have the same complaints as mediclaser. Editing raws in DT and RT is hard work for me! Thanks for the tip on Corel Aftershot Pro - I'll look into it. :)
MateoEstradaR

Post by MateoEstradaR »

Mike-Linux-Mint wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:07 pm I'm just curious to know the reasons why you ended up installing Linux Mint over/along Windows or Mac?

I saw a video from a software engineer saying that Linux wasn't the best option for people working in IT because it lacked some important tools like Adobe premiere and photoshop. I don't work in IT so I don't know if it's true but for those of you who do, do you think that windows is better suited when it comes to software development and other specific tasks?

I'm just a regular user, I mostly use Mint for entertainment and a little for my work too, but not in IT, though, so Mint suits me perfectly but it may not be the case for people with very specific needs. Mint has a sense of familiarity I think, probably because its desktop is quite similar to what I used to know, though I would never ever go back to windows.
Everything started about 2 years ago, i had one of those mini notebooks with no so much performance on it. Windows was terrible (My pc had an intel Atom with no hyperthreading) First it tried ubuntu but the performance was worse, then i tried a distribution called "Linux lite" but each boot took about 4-5 minutes no matter the settings and all of that, finally i found linux Mint, it looked similar to windows so the change was not that bad and the xfce version only used about 200mb ram and the processor was always at 30% or so. Now i have a thinkpad with an core i5 5200U, installed cinnamon and its great, the processor never goes more than 50% even playing, ram usage is great even using chromium and of course, Open Source software, the community, all its being fantastic.

Of course it was hard the first time i used the distribution, i didn't even know how to installl a web browser and obviously I have a lot to learn but i'm sure i'll be here for a long time, even i printed some stickers of "Powered by linux mint" Sticked that on my pc, and i give them as a present for the people on my university who uses linux mint :D
titianmom
Level 3
Level 3

Post by titianmom »

Because Mint is the best out there--this version of Linux just works.
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mike-Linux-Mint »

titianmom wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:55 pm Because Mint is the best out there--this version of Linux just works.
Linux Mint is the best distro I think
but I wonder why it's not possible for users to install .exe programs?
I need a specific software that is not available on Linux and that software alone forces me to keep windows.
However, Having to keep windows for one software, that's a problem
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Mike-Linux-Mint wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 10:14 am but I wonder why it's not possible for users to install .exe programs?
Wine should allow that .. what software is it? Someone on here may know if it works. Virtualbox is another option, with a Windows installation in a virtual machine.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

An .exe program is windows, this is linux!

There are several options for running win programs, all of which I use or have used:
  • wine - free, will run some win programs, two years since I used it. Best to seek advice on how to install, my knowledge is out of date.
  • crossover - this is in effect the commercial version of wine, codeweavers are the major contributor to the wine project. It is not free, costs about £40, but runs more win programs than wine. Having used wine for a year (office 2007), I thought it was worth it and bought crossover to run office 2013. Think wine has moved on since I did this.
  • Virtualbox - you install windows as a virtual machine and almost all win software should run in it. VB is an oracle product and for home use is free. If you go down this route do not install the version in software manager, instead go to oracle's site and follow the instructions to install there (either by downloading the debs or installing via ppa). I use it to run win7 primarily for office 2016 and CorelDraw. Integration in linux is good and they have a seamless mode where the windows taskbar sits above the mint panel (but not in mint 19.1 cinnamon unless they have fixed it). Not a solution for gamers.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

AndyMH wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:31 pm An .exe program is windows, this is linux!

There are several options for running win programs, all of which I use or have used:
  • wine - free, will run some win programs, two years since I used it. Best to seek advice on how to install, my knowledge is out of date.
  • crossover - this is in effect the commercial version of wine, codeweavers are the major contributor to the wine project. It is not free, costs about £40, but runs more win programs than wine. Having used wine for a year (office 2007), I thought it was worth it and bought crossover to run office 2013. Think wine has moved on since I did this.
  • Virtualbox - you install windows as a virtual machine and almost all win software should run in it. VB is an oracle product and for home use is free. If you go down this route do not install the version in software manager, instead go to oracle's site and follow the instructions to install there (either by downloading the debs or installing via ppa). I use it to run win7 primarily for office 2016 and CorelDraw. Integration in linux is good and they have a seamless mode where the windows taskbar sits above the mint panel (but not in mint 19.1 cinnamon unless they have fixed it). Not a solution for gamers.

Thanks guys.
Virtualbox might just work. :D
Didn't want to be using two operating systems and certainly not go back to windows after all the troubles I went through. But how does that work exactly once everything is installed? do I need to buy a Windows key to get it running?
I'm trying to install a CAT software which is a tool for translators but I don't know what VB means by home use? It's a software I will be using for my work mostly to translate documents from one language to another. A question that may sound stupid but do I need to keep windows updated? I mean, Can I install windows 10 or better windows 7 all the same knowing that the latter is no longer updated by Microsoft? So basically, I guess I need to download the windows image and then install it through VB, right? Any idea where I can get the ISO by any chance? because I looked on Microsoft but they don't make it easier for you to find it.
darknetmatrix
Level 3
Level 3

Post by darknetmatrix »

I used windows 3.11 and so on till windows xp, In july 2008 i decided to give Mint a chance on my oldest desktop with version 5 'Elyssa'.
And I was completely blown away and sold to this fast and safe system, no more worries about detecting viruses and a system that works properly. The choice was made for me and since then I always have mint running on one of my machines.
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Post by farkas »

Hi Mike-Linux-Mint
Check out tutorial at https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... albox.html
This will let you win7 for 90 days rearm it five times.
I ran into a problem and posted my solution viewtopic.php?f=231&t=293650
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
Mike-Linux-Mint
Level 4
Level 4

farkas wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 2:44 am Hi Mike-Linux-Mint
Check out tutorial at https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... albox.html
This will let you win7 for 90 days rearm it five times.
I ran into a problem and posted my solution viewtopic.php?f=231&t=293650

I followed the instructions but encountered a problem.
I got that message:

"Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver is either not loaded or not set up correctly. Please try setting it up again by executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

as root.

If your system has EFI Secure Boot enabled you may also need to sign the kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT. "
farkas
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Why did you decide to install Linux Mint?

Post by farkas »

There are several posts about "Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)" in viewforum.php?f=231 forum. Check them out.
If you need more help make a new post in that forum.
You will get more views and help there.
If your query has been resolved, edit your first post and add [SOLVED] to the subject line.
If you found a solution on your own please post it.
A generation which ignores history has no past and no future.
MurphCID
Level 15
Level 15

Post by MurphCID »

I noticed something tonight, I was updating my PowerMac laptop (2015 model), and it took what seemed like forever. At least 20 minutes with restarts, reloads, etc before I had a desktop. I guess one of the greatest things about Linux (and Mint specifically) is that you never have downtime, no reboots, and no wasted time like in Windows or Mac O/S. With its BSD underpinnings, I am suprised that Mac O/S has the issue, and is not more like Linux. It makes no sense at all. While I love the look of the Mac O/S, I really hate its lack of control that you as a user have over things. Same with Windows, and while Linux has made great strides, it still looks like a homebrew cobbled together o/s at times, just not as bad as in the early days.
CaptainKirksChair
Level 4
Level 4

Post by CaptainKirksChair »

MurphCID wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:15 pmWhile I love the look of the Mac O/S, I really hate its lack of control that you as a user have over things.
This is my iMac 9.1 with Mint 19.0 Cinnamon, Cairo-Dock using the Alu theme, and Mac4Lin theme.

The background is one of my photos. If you want the look and feel of macOS, it's no problem with Mint!
Dale_R
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dale_R »

I've been using MickeySoft products since the early/mid-80s DOS 2.11 - 6.x, Windows 3.11, 95, 98, 2000, XP, and 7. Increasing security problems and "Features" in later versions put me off Windows and I started looking for a replacement. Mint/Cinnamon offered the most nearly seamless transition from what I was used to. I'd tried some linux versions with CDE, which was also familiar to me via True64 Un*x and VMS, but Mint won out. After several years in use, I still have not had malware successfully attack my Mint system(s).
Swampthing
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Swampthing »

I started using computers in the early 90's, with DOS 6.22 I think, and various Windows versions from 3.11 up to XP.
Then I bought an Iphone and Ipad and didn't use computers for several years, simply because my desktop with XP crashed all the time and I gave up on it + MS stopped supporting XP.
So I never used Windows 7 + 8 + 8.1 and never will.
A couple of years ago I was given a laptop with Win10 on it and I really didn't like Win10, something was off it didn't feel right to me.
Then later I found out about the spying and so on.
The forced updates never really bothered me because I didn't use the laptop that much.
Just the occasional web browsing and web banking.
Last year I bought an Imac and was, and still is, impressed with Mac OS, its not for all I know some like it, some don't.
I play in a band and make demos at home and read an article about Ubuntu Studio that some music producer uses daily.
So I installed that in a virtual box and wasn't really impressed.
But it got me interested in all the different distros, so I started reading and watching youtube videos about them and came across LM and was intrigued.
2 weeks ago, my mother-in-law gave me her old laptop and I installed LM on it and was really positively surprised over how easy it was to install and use.
So now I'm seriously considering wiping my Win10 laptop and install LM on that as well.
Last edited by Swampthing on Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Chat about Linux Mint”