Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Gameslayer
Level 1
Level 1

Discord is unstable lags and stutters

Post by Gameslayer »

Hey guys wanted to report a bug with Discord that only seems to happen on Linux Mint Cinnamon, when you are in a call after a while Discord starts to lag and stutter than eventually either freeze or close itself. I noticed that the process would hit 100% usage with htop and peg one core, nothing else is effected while this is happening and no other application other than Discord is having this issue. on Ubuntu for example which is what Mint is based off this isn't a problem and while I use Xubuntu instead of Ubuntu this isn't an issue so I don't know what is causing this issue on Linux Mint cinnamon.

I originally posted this issue on the Reddit Linux mint page but it seems that's pretty dead with activity and online users so I decided to post here to figure out what the issue is what what the Linux Mint team can do to fix it.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Discord is unstable lags and stutters

Post by xenopeek »

I don't use Discord but one of the Cinnamon developers uses it every day (on system with GTX 1070) and says he has no lagging, stuttering, freezing or crashing of Discord while using it. He has an issue with window dragging getting choppy while discord is playing video, but says that can occur with dragging the window of any video playing app in the right conditions.

If you're using Xubuntu are you on Xubuntu 18.04 or a different version? Linux Mint 19.x is based on Ubuntu 18.04 so a different version of Ubuntu might introduce other differences than just the DE.

upstairsdownstairs
Level 1
Level 1

Post by upstairsdownstairs »

I've been having this same issue. The client works fine when I'm using it for chat, but gets very unresponsive and randomly crashes when running while in a voice chat. I'm running a 1080 GTX with an i5 7600k, so it shouldn't be resource issues.

A "fix" i found was running the client from terminal as sudo (`sudo discord`), which makes performance much better when in voice chat, but I'd rather not be chained to that solution if I can avoid it--especially since this seems to be distro specific (at least from what I've found in researching stuff)

akash_258
Level 1
Level 1

Post by akash_258 »

having the same issue, at first the app runs fine but after playing a game if you want to quit the app , it freezes the entire system .

SkylerMews
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SkylerMews »

I'm having the same issues on Mint 19.1. I can't seem to fix it and I can't run discord with terminal output to find the source. I wish someone could help.

Chypsylon
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Chypsylon »

Having the same issues. Any updates or fixes?

Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

Ausatt wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:47 pm
None of the fixes work anymore and this is only happening on the Cinnamon DE version 4. So, I guess all we can do is report it to the Linux Mint team and wait for them to fix it. For right now just run Discord in a browser of your choice.
Just how many DEs do you have installled on one machine? that's a gtood way to create problems.

AFAIK Mint doesn't actually support Discord, like they don't actuallly support the vast majority of software you can installl, repo or not. So Mint sites are not where you'd report bugs.

vekat
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vekat »

Sadly having the same issues on mint 19.1 cinnamon, disappointing as I'm coming from ubuntu 18.04.

Teal1500
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Teal1500 »

The same thing is happening to me as well, the only time this happens for me is when i'm playing a game and in a voice chat at the same time, this happens on every distro i've tried except the AUR build of discord i have no idea what might be causing it, it doesn't matter what version i install flatpak, snap, deb, is doesn't matter, i will do whatever i can to help resolve this issue.

xenopeek
Level 24
Level 24

Post by xenopeek »

Which package did you try from AUR? The package discord just downloads this the Discord 0.0.9 release at https://dl.discordapp.net/apps/linux/0. ... 0.9.tar.gz and installs it. See the PKGBUILD: https://aur.archlinux.org/cgit/aur.git/ ... ?h=discord.

Teal1500
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Teal1500 »

Ya i don't know why it works but getting it from the AUR is the only one that's been stable for me, the one in the solus repo's does the same thing, its fine just chatting not doing anything intensive but as soon as you launch a game it degrades from there then eventually freezes or just closes itself, disabling hardware acceleration helps a little bit but eventually does the same thing, i thought that maybe the AUR install patched it in some way but since it looks like that's not the case i'm kinda stumped as to why that version is completely stable.

michleb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by michleb »

I had the same problem. The problem is Java that make discord to crash. since I Removed java from my system and since I did that no more problem.

This tutorial is written to help Users, who want to uninstall Java Development Kit (JDK) installed on their Linux.

If you want to remove Openjdk only, execute the following command on terminal:
$
sudo apt-get remove openjdk*
If you want to remove Openjdk along with dependencies, execute the following command on terminal:
$
sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove openjdk*
If you want to remove Openjdk and it’s configuration files, execute the following command on terminal:
$
sudo apt-get purge openjdk*
If you want to remove Openjdk along with dependencies and it’s configuration files, execute the following command on terminal:
$
sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove openjdk*

SNFFL
Level 1
Level 1

Post by SNFFL »

michleb wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 4:00 pm
I had the same problem. The problem is Java that make discord to crash. since I Removed java from my system and since I did that no more problem.

This tutorial is written to help Users, who want to uninstall Java Development Kit (JDK) installed on their Linux.

If you want to remove Openjdk only, execute the following command on terminal:
$
sudo apt-get remove openjdk*
If you want to remove Openjdk along with dependencies, execute the following command on terminal:
$
sudo apt-get remove --auto-remove openjdk*
If you want to remove Openjdk and it’s configuration files, execute the following command on terminal:
$
sudo apt-get purge openjdk*
If you want to remove Openjdk along with dependencies and it’s configuration files, execute the following command on terminal:
$
sudo apt-get purge --auto-remove openjdk*
Thank you! I had the same issue and did the first option. I'll report back and let you all know if it worked.

Return to “Software & Applications”