My hands have started to shake.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

Re: My hands have started to shake.

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

Thanks to all once again,

Hah, I was writing a reply, a shake and it was gone.

I do have more questions, but I'm going to look up some of the terms used and figure out what is meant. Once that's done, I will want to try various things out and see what helps and what doesn't. At such time, I may ask some of those questions.

I haven't responded to every suggestion, none the less, I'm grateful and I'm trying various suggestions. Every time I read the thread something catches my attention and I go off to try it out.

I did receive and install the joystick controller I ordered, It's soo much worse. I will note; all the joystick controllers I looked at were for various games. I chose the only one that advertised itself as being Linux compatible. This particular joystick is very stiff and it has occurred to me to see if I can get weaker springs.

I've learned that for somethings my left hand on my Logitech Trackman corded trackball actually works better. [I've worked in the skilled trades most of my life. I've done a mix of Plumbing installation and repair and HVACR work, in these areas of endeavor there is a strong need to have a reasonable degree of dexterity with both hands. Of course, as a person with a dominant right hand, I usually struck my left hand.]

Thank you and respectfully, Zuer-coli
zcot
Level 9
Level 9

Post by zcot »

maybe any of this has some use...

some text selections:

double-click mouse the first or last word you want to include, or do not select anything and just set the caret position to the desired spot. then use the key combinations while continuing to hold and/or modify the key combos until you get the selection finished:

-include one character
[shift] + [left/right arrow]

-include whole words.
[shift] + [ctrl] + [left/right arrow]

-include to beginning of current line(or more it depends on formatting), or within a paragraph -one entire line to above current caret location
[shift] + [up arrow]

-include to end of current line, or within a paragraph -one entire line to below current caret location
[shift] + [down arrow]

these do the same as above but also include more of the previous or next line to get to the beginning or ending of that next line:

-include up to beginning of previous line
[shift] + [ctrl] + [up arrow]

-include up to end of next line
[shift] + [ctrl] + [down arrow]

You'll have to play with those line selectors a bit and continue to modify using the character or word selection methods when you encounter formatting with tabbed sections or shorter or longer header type previous or following lines. It's not always exactly predictable, unless you can say that the line selectors will pass one "endline" character or go up until the second endline character encountered but only if the next line is long enough, or else it includes up to the next non-whitespace character. lol. ok, yea that's a dumb sentence.

of course for copy and paste:
-copy
[ctrl] + [c]

-paste
[ctrl] + [v]

Also:
-just move the caret one character
[left/right arrow]

-just move the cursor one word
[ctrl] + [left/right arrow]
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

zcot

Ahw me, my user name is entirely apropos in regard to your post, I understood some of what you are saying, but one word makes portions rather opaque.

I thought of this simile: I'm a plumber and was a Plumbing Inspector for many years, so some of what you've posted would be like me trying to read the International Plumbing Code [Copyright, International Code Council.] to a non-plumber, a non-plumber lacks the requisite vocabulary.

What is meant by caret and caret position? I do know what the ^ [caret] on a keyboard means, but I think you are using the term in an entirely different context.

I assure you, even if I don't entirely understand, I'm still grateful for the attempt.

Respectfully yours, Massively ignorant
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

All,

I'm still working on trying to integrate the various suggestions into routine use, learning curve and all that.

Re, voice recognition, 1) Software, Windows is a possibility, but it's far from a desirable one. 2) Perhaps foolishly, I'm very reluctant to have a microphone attached to any of my systems, in the same vein, I don't have a camera connected to either of my tower computers.

I'm unclear as to how to deal with this thread, for me, the problem will not go away, so Solved doesn't seem quite right, suggestions?
Recommendations being implemented. ?

Hah, I see I signed myself with a user name [Zuer-coli] from another forum I visit, hope that isn't going to be too confusing. FWIW, I try to use a different user name for all the different sites I visit when that's a possibility, I always use a different password for each site and I've encrypted the files where that information is stored.

Once again thank you very much,
Respectfully yours Massively ignorant.
hpmc13
Level 3
Level 3

Post by hpmc13 »

MI:

Caret in this context refers to the cursor. So, the blinky thing :D

I would leave this open so that anyone else who sees who might have a suggestion will post it. Otherwise, they may ignore it and you'll lose some potentially good advice.

I hope you won't find this insulting, but I wonder if looking into information for people who have had strokes might offer some insight. I know that it took my father a while to "relearn" how to use a computer and cell phone after his stroke. Different causes and symptoms, I'm sure, but maybe similar effects?

Best of luck to you. Please keep us updated on your progress.
Running LM 20 Cinnamon
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

Massively ignorant wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:42 am ...
Re, voice recognition, 1) Software, Windows is a possibility, but it's far from a desirable one. 2) Perhaps foolishly, I'm very reluctant to have a microphone attached to any of my systems, in the same vein, I don't have a camera connected to either of my tower computers.
I'm with you on security concerns for speech recognition that is internet based - I only use Google Translate offline and for innocuous tourist interactions in Quebec - but to some extent most of us use input devices to communicate with family, financial services, etc. reasonably safely. At first glance it looks like Dragon (for example) works fully offline and doesn't report back to any cloud Mother Ship, as Google's and other voice, not to mention keyboard, services do. My guess is you can configure browser settings, etc. to reasonably prevent malicious hijacking of a microphone by other software or websites.

(Unfortunately, the privacy / security protection in the new internet-based "smart homes" is poor and I'd expect a big shake-up and possibly regulation sooner than later - after which there seems to be a lot of potential for dealing with disability in that way.)

Good luck.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

All,

An update, well learning curve or not, I'm slowly getting more proficient with using various keyboard features. My Doctor wants me to lose weight, high blood pressure, and amazingly enough, I'm managing to do that. I've tried to be much more aware of my salt intake and cut that back to a fair degree. Whether or not this has any bearing on my hands shaking I don't know, however, I don't seem to notice the shaking as much.

For the mods: I am not seeking medical advice. If any person who uses this forum is a medical doctor, then to the best of my knowledge, those persons are not my Doctor. I merely mention these health issues as they may or may not bear on the shaking hands and fingers issue.

One other thing; I built a little platform that tilts my right-hand mouse 15 Degrees from table level, this seems to help somewhat.

Thank you and Respectfully yours, Massively ignorant.
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Post by AZgl1800 »

at 76 I am not as healthy as I used to be, I was in a very severe vehicle accident in 2008.
lost my short term memory, and ability to adjust to higher/lower ambient temperatures.

so, I cannot exercise as I should to maintain muscle strength, I get too hot, too fast.
we brought a tread mill in and I have a fan directed at me, that helps.
and I have Therabands to give me some constant muscle tension, used a couple times a day really helps.

I find that I must use a Notebook constantly to record the simplest things, like where did I park the car........ no, not really, but yes I do if at a shopping mall. I have to use "Park my car" android app to find the car, if it is more than 200 feet away and I can't see it from the door. gripes me to no end.

I like to ride motorcycles..... but back about March 30th, I took a fall while just sitting on the bike. the tires slipped on slippery leaves and pine needles and down I went, my shoulder hit a big round rock and now I am in physical therapy trying to get back full range of motion again.

getting old if not for the weak... it is a major PITA.
LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

im not your age yet AZg, (just turned 64 this month, teens at my church threw me a B-Day party today),...i lke to call this phase of my life, "just sliding down the razor blade of life"...lol...it feels that way sometimes when you try to do things and now find them a touch more difficult then they used to be...dont know what happened, i was just a teenager the other day!!!...DAMIEN
merihcobanmc

Post by merihcobanmc »

You can buy a mouse with changable dpi. It has a button everytime you press it, it changes sensitivity. When you need steady mouse lower the dpi by pressing the button. When you need fast mouse you can raise it. Also it can be done with just software. You can press a keyboard button or use a hot corner to change sensitivity. https://askubuntu.com/questions/205676/ ... ensitivity
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

merihcobanmc wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:35 am You can buy a mouse with changable dpi. It has a button everytime you press it, it changes sensitivity. When you need steady mouse lower the dpi by pressing the button. When you need fast mouse you can raise it. Also it can be done with just software. You can press a keyboard button or use a hot corner to change sensitivity. https://askubuntu.com/questions/205676/ ... ensitivity
merihcobanmc,

Thank you for that advice, as it happens I've already slowed down the mouse acceleration, that has helped to a degree. I didn't know such a thing as an ajustable mouse existed. I've looked at such a device, as a personal preference, I far and away favor a rollerball mouse.

Thank you and Respectfully yours, Massively ignorant.
lsemmens
Level 11
Level 11

Post by lsemmens »

I think that there are many of us at the "pointy end" of life. Like you, Az, I was written off in a severe MVA (in 2001) and have found that I have slowly recovered some of the faculties that I lost after the crash. I have 21% permanent Frontal Lobe Brain Damage. My thinking is that it must have been the bit I never used, anyway. I do live on anti-depressants as a result, but, by and large, Wife notices improvements over time.

Apart from that I used to swear by a Logitech Trackman Marble, but I wore it out years ago and have yet to find one that is nearly as good.
Fully mint Household
Out of my mind - please leave a message
E1-Beard-0
Level 4
Level 4

Post by E1-Beard-0 »

Isemmens,

Here is a link to a Logitech track ball that I use, I like it because I can use it both right and left handed.
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ ... ess?crid=7

Here is the other Logitech track ball I use, but it's only for right hand use.
https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/ ... ess?crid=7
I built a platform that tilts the body of this second mouse 15 degrees from the workstation level. my hand doesen't get as much twist that way, still not sure if it helps or not. I may experement with a 25 or 30 degree tilt.

Best wishes,

Respectfully yours, Massively ignorant.

Return to “Beginner Questions”