Monthly News – March 2019

Releases and other announcements.
Please don't post support questions here
Forum rules
Section reserved for the team. You can reply to announcements here but not post new topics. Do not add support questions to threads here, use the appropriate support forum instead.
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Monthly News – March 2019

Post by cliffcoggin »

turtlebay wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:45 pm The problem with Mint from my perspective is that the 'advisors' on the Mint forum have become like policemen, telling us what we MUST do and MUST NOT do regarding software installed. It's become exactly like the MS Windows forums and we all know why we have dropped Windows! Come on guys, we are all just users, but whilst the gunmen continue to dominate the Mint forums and demand we slavishly do as we are told, I for one have headed elsewhere! Debian based distros don't have that problem.

Also, your alogarithm is rejecting genuine first time comments on the Monthly blog. I've never posted on there before but your bot keeps telling me I've posted the same comment!

Glad I don't rely on Mint any more!
What on earth are you on about? If you don't like the advice you're given, ignore it. If you don't like Mint, choose another distribution. To pretend there is any compulsion borders on paranoia.
Cliff Coggin
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

Pierre wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:41 pm Note: that the Moderation of the Forum:
- is an Fully Manual Process - - there's No Automation, anywhere.
I said BLOG not FORUM!
turtlebay

Post by turtlebay »

cliffcoggin wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:23 pm

What on earth are you on about? If you don't like the advice you're given, ignore it. If you don't like Mint, choose another distribution. To pretend there is any compulsion borders on paranoia.
Try actually reading some of the 'advice' offered by the regular answerers. To name them is out of order, but the Dutch/German one who always says the same answer whenever anyone has a problem with Firefox, and/or the one who always starts his answer with 'I agree with all the good answers already offered......", and/or the one who always derides anyone who is (in his opinion) foolish enough to install Grub Customizer, despite it being offered in the main repos of Debian! As cliffcoggin wrote 'if you don't like the advice, go away, you're not welcome'!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

turtlebay wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:58 pm As cliffcoggin wrote 'if you don't like the advice, go away, you're not welcome'!
That is not at all what he wrote. It's not even close.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

What a silly bend this thread has taken.... :lol:

Of course there's no compulsion on this forum. You're even completely free to advocate bad habits and bad software, just as I'm free to expose them as such.

I'm active on this forum because I wish to help people to learn a "best practice" approach to Linux Mint, which should ensure that they have and keep a stable, reliable and healthy system. So that their Linux experience will be as pleasant as possible.

When I encounter advice that I consider to be harmful or incorrect, I often post my opinion about that. No compulsion for the readers: they're fully free to ignore what I said. See if I care. :mrgreen:

Because this is a public forum, it's not only about the participants in a particular discussion. It's also about the silent crowd that reads that discussion afterwards.

Certain discussions about harmful advice tend to pop up again and again. That's life. I think it's important to keep stating my arguments in each recurrent discussion, for the sake of the silent reader crowd and the new participants.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

turtlebay wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:47 pm
Pierre wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:41 pm Note: that the Moderation of the Forum:
- is an Fully Manual Process - - there's No Automation, anywhere.
I said BLOG not FORUM!
"The problem with Mint from my perspective is that the 'advisors' on the Mint forum have become like policemen"

Really? BLOG, you say?
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
momist
Level 4
Level 4

Post by momist »

I really never thought in a million years that I'd end up saying this on here.
"Don't feed the trolls"
momist : a follower of the Greek god Momer.

Return to “Releases & Announcements”