No Luck yet with Installing Mint 7

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hellishcross

No Luck yet with Installing Mint 7

Post by Hellishcross »

Hi,
I am currently running Mint 6 on my Dell Inspiron 2650 with no problems.

It has the following specs:

Pentium IV M 1.80GHz
375 MB Ram
20GB HD

I've tried the CLI upgrade to Mint 7 and it hangs when downloading certain packages from the Ubuntu archives. I tried the GUI upgrade with the same results. I've even tried doing a fresh install from the live CD (MD5 sum verified). It says loading caspervmlinuz........ then it says READY_ and hangs there. (Won't boot into the live CD.)

Should I just chalk it up to not enough RAM and try to get 512 MB?

Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Re: No Luck yet with Installing Mint 7

Post by newW2 »

That may be what you need - more RAM. I assume that the statement was made based on teh releasse notes:
System requirements:

A minimum of 512MB of RAM is recommended. Once installed the system works fine with as low as 256MB RAM. The installation process deals with 2.5GB of data compressed on a 700MB CD and it can hang or fail on systems with less than 512MB RAM. If you have between 256MB and 512MB RAM you may have to try to install several times.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

The repos are down at the moment, you can when they're back up at http://packages.linuxmint.com
Hellishcross

Post by Hellishcross »

newW2 wrote:That may be what you need - more RAM. I assume that the statement was made based on teh releasse notes:
System requirements:

A minimum of 512MB of RAM is recommended. Once installed the system works fine with as low as 256MB RAM. The installation process deals with 2.5GB of data compressed on a 700MB CD and it can hang or fail on systems with less than 512MB RAM. If you have between 256MB and 512MB RAM you may have to try to install several times.
Mint 6 has the same requirements and it runs great on my laptop and installs without any hangups but I'm thinking that I will get some more RAM anyway.
Hellishcross

Post by Hellishcross »

emorrp1 wrote:The repos are down at the moment, you can when they're back up at http://packages.linuxmint.com
I was trying to install off and on all week... have they been down that long?
richyrich

Post by richyrich »

No, they've been back up for a while. I think emorrp1 was talking about you trying the CLI upgrade path.
If you are using the Live cd, it shouldn't even be an issue.

Richard
lakaski

Post by lakaski »

Last edited by lakaski on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Hello, and Welcome to Linux Mint lakaski, please can you post that as a new topic, as it's probably a completely different reason, and we can better attend to it if they're seperate, thank you.

Hellishcross: my bad, didn't notice you'd tried the LiveCD too, we had quite a lot of people posting problems while the repos were down, so I just assumed.
lakaski

Post by lakaski »

I 've just created a new topic. Visit the link of my previous message message Thank you.
Hellishcross

Post by Hellishcross »

Is there a way to point the upgrade to the live cd for the packages instead of downloading them?

Return to “Installation & Boot”