(SOLVED)youtube-dl not working

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ibbill

(SOLVED)youtube-dl not working

Post by ibbill »

Seems google has made some changes to stop downloading videos on you tube. Then again it may just be me. Anyone else having a problem with the youtube-dl.

Here is the result I get when I try downloading the video.

HP-Compaq-dc7800-Convertible-Minitower:~$ youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD_P6YZSmwE
[youtube] rD_P6YZSmwE: Downloading webpage
[youtube] rD_P6YZSmwE: Downloading video info webpage
ERROR: rD_P6YZSmwE: "token" parameter not in video info for unknown reason; please report this issue on https://yt-dl.org/bug . Make sure you are using the latest version; see https://yt-dl.org/update on how to update. Be sure to call youtube-dl with the --verbose flag and include its complete output.
HP-Compaq-dc7800-Convertible-Minitower:~$ sudo youtube-dl -U
[sudo] password for bill:
Usage: youtube-dl [OPTIONS] URL [URL...]

youtube-dl: error: youtube-dl's self-update mechanism is disabled on Debian.

Please update youtube-dl using apt(8).
See https://packages.debian.org/sid/youtube-dl for the latest packaged version.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: youtube-dl not working

Post by Flemur »

ibbill wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:07 amyoutube-dl: error: youtube-dl's self-update mechanism is disabled on Debian.
That's pretty lame because the video people change stuff to make download difficult and youtube-dl has to change rapidly to keep up. The repo version are too old.

Just do this**, as they suggest:

Code: Select all

sudo wget https://yt-dl.org/downloads/latest/youtube-dl -O /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
sudo chmod a+rx /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl/ ... youtube-dl

** FIRST do:

which youtube-dl
to see where it's installed, and put the downloaded version there - it might be different than /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Flemur wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:12 am ** FIRST do:

which youtube-dl
to see where it's installed, and put the downloaded version there - it might be different than /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl
I'd suggest to remove the installed version in fact, there's no reason to keep it:

apt purge youtube-dl
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

gm10 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:18 amI'd suggest to remove the installed version in fact, there's no reason to keep it:

apt purge youtube-dl
Yup.

FWFW, I'm on Manjaro right now and installed youtube-dl as above, but their packaged version has a few dozen extra files** -
/usr/bin/youtube-dl
/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/youtube_dl-2018.11.23-py3.7.egg-info/PKG-INFO
/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/youtube_dl-2018.11.23-py3.7.egg-info/SOURCES.txt
/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/youtube_dl-2018.11.23-py3.7.egg-info/dependency_links.txt
/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/youtube_dl-2018.11.23-py3.7.egg-info/entry_points.txt
/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/youtube_dl-2018.11.23-py3.7.egg-info/top_level.txt
/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/youtube_dl/YoutubeDL.py
/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/youtube_dl/__init__.py
/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/youtube_dl/__main__.py
/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/youtube_dl/__pycache__/update.cpython-37.pyc
/usr/lib/python3.7/site-packages/youtube_dl/__pycache__/utils.cpython-37.opt-1.pyc
..etc

** actually 2,435 extra files!!! Amazing.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Flemur wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:27 am FWFW, I'm on Manjaro right now and installed youtube-dl as above, but their packaged version has a few dozen extra files -
Depends on how you install it. The way you proposed it's only a single compiled python executable, to get the equivalent of the packaged version you would have to install it like this (on Mint):

sudo -H pip3 install --upgrade youtube-dl
Run the same command to keep it up to date. You may have to install the following package first if you do not already have it:

apt install python3-pip
ibbill

Post by ibbill »

First off thanks for all your help. Just awesome.

Flemur followed your instructions and had to log in as root to move the file to /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl tried to download another video same error. RATS

Then I ran gm10 suggestion also and I can now download videos from you tube.

Problem now yikes (sorry hate being a pain) The video saves as mkv extension not mp4. There is something on the results about (pass -k to keep) that I dont understand.
Says its deleting but I have one in my home folder with mkv.

Any help explaining what that keep and why mkv instead of mp4 would be great. Thanks again very close to marking this SOLVED.

HP-Compaq-dc7800-Convertible-Minitower:~$ youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gBgB9qtgx0
[youtube] -gBgB9qtgx0: Downloading webpage
[youtube] -gBgB9qtgx0: Downloading video info webpage
WARNING: Requested formats are incompatible for merge and will be merged into mkv.
[download] Destination: Swamp People - Stringbean Helps Kristi Out of a Jam (Season 9, Episode 8) _ History--gBgB9qtgx0.f137.mp4
[download] 100% of 81.47MiB in 00:44
[download] Destination: Swamp People - Stringbean Helps Kristi Out of a Jam (Season 9, Episode 8) _ History--gBgB9qtgx0.f251.webm
[download] 100% of 2.67MiB in 00:01
[ffmpeg] Merging formats into "Swamp People - Stringbean Helps Kristi Out of a Jam (Season 9, Episode 8) _ History--gBgB9qtgx0.mkv"
Deleting original file Swamp People - Stringbean Helps Kristi Out of a Jam (Season 9, Episode 8) _ History--gBgB9qtgx0.f137.mp4 (pass -k to keep)
Deleting original file Swamp People - Stringbean Helps Kristi Out of a Jam (Season 9, Episode 8) _ History--gBgB9qtgx0.f251.webm (pass -k to keep)
bill@bill-HP-Compaq-dc7800-Convertible-Minitower:~$
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

ibbill wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:16 pm Flemur followed your instructions and had to log in as root to move the file to /usr/local/bin/youtube-dl tried to download another video same error. RATS
Then I ran gm10 suggestion also and I can now download videos from you tube.
That's because the official version was in a different place than the newly installed version, and was the first one in your $PATH (that's why I suggested the 'which', but it's better to remove the previous one).
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

gm10 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 11:30 am Depends on how you install it.
Yes, you'd get the thousands of extra files if you installed it with Manjaro's package manager.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

ibbill wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:16 pm Any help explaining what that keep and why mkv instead of mp4 would be great. Thanks again very close to marking this SOLVED.
HP-Compaq-dc7800-Convertible-Minitower:~$ youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gBgB9qtgx0
.mkv and .mp4 are related somehow; I got that same message from the URL and just renamed the file to .mp4 and it played in smplayer. I also had a (linux) converter that wanted to output into mkv, which our TV player didn't like, so renamed them to mp4 and it the TV was happy....?
ibbill

Post by ibbill »

Flemur your awesome.

Thanks ever so much. I download the videos for my friends mother (92 years young) who plays them on her TV .via usb stick.

Return to “MATE”