Should I have asked my Mint Upgrade Problem Here instead of in Newbie Area?

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Should I have asked my Mint Upgrade Problem Here instead of in Newbie Area?

Post by MtnDewManiac »

It's kind of an installation. I mean, yes, it's an upgrade to 18. But that means I'm installing it, too. So should I have posted my disaster report here? Is that why I can't get any help in the other area, because the people who know this stuff are in here monitoring instead of the new people area?

I don't know. I'm willing to get help here instead of there if that's better, easier, or just more likely to happen. But some forums have rules about posting the same thing twice, so rather than do that I'll just post a link to the other thread I created about it, since I haven't posted that (the link) before it should be okay either way.

Thanks in advance. viewtopic.php?f=90&t=293627
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Should I have asked my Mint Upgrade Problem Here instead of in Newbie Area?

Post by Moem »

I don't think it matters all that much. The same people most likely keep an eye on both places. The bigger problem is probably time zones.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I, as well as others DID post on your original post...here is what i had to say about...and yes, we do tend to read ALL of the postings we can...DAMIEN

Your trying to straddle two different, distinct, platform builds...LM 17.xx is ubuntu based "trusty" platform, whereas LM18.xx is ubuntu based "xenial" platform...upgrading within the same builds (such as 17, 17,1, 17.2, 17.3 is generally not a problem, but trying to upgrade between totally different platform builds is usually always a problem... a clean install is usually recommended in these cases...back up anything important to you at the very least on USBs first, then do a clean install and then use your USB back up to reinstall what you need back to your hard drive...DAMIEN

EDIT...is there any GOOD reason why your going for LM 18.xx rather than going for the latest LM 19.1 "bionic" series ???
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
MtnDewManiac
Level 6
Level 6

Post by MtnDewManiac »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:33 am
I, as well as others DID post on your original post.
Oh, sorry. I'll go back to that one to keep everything straight, then. But since you've asked:
DAMIEN1307 wrote:
a clean install is usually recommended in these cases...back up anything important to you at the very least on USBs first, then do a clean install and then use your USB back up to reinstall what you need back to your hard drive.
No available storage devices for backing up. Optical drive doesn't function and my mother is far older than her car, so its stereo is so far beyond her that, when I found a USB port in the console and realized it was connected to that stereo, I put music from several of her favorite dead country music artists (which she owns on original LPs) and a few old radio westerns (believed to be considered in the public domain) on it, plugged it in, and set it to play random selections ("shuffle") so that she could get by with just pressing the button to turn it on/of and turn the volume up/down.

This is kind of a low-budget world, here. Anyway, at one time I was able to download the .ISOs to the laptop's hard drive and install them from there (optical drive has been useless for about three years and it doesn't have provision in the BIOS menu for booting from USB) thanks to someone "talking" me through it. But I don't currently have the ability to temporarily offload my data/etc. onto so that I can perform the delete/format partition and distro install.

Oops, I almost forgot your question:
DAMIEN1307 wrote:
EDIT...is there any GOOD reason why your going for LM 18.xx rather than going for the latest LM 19.1 "bionic" series ???
Reasons I do have, although I don't know that I'd be qualified to make value judgments on them (being not any kind of expert, merely an ignorant user): As you, yourself, mentioned, jumping from one whole-number version to another can potentially be problematic; I was hoping to avoid such problems, or at least minimize them by only jumping one. The laptop is getting a bit old now, and while I have no reason to suspect that it will give me problems in trying to use the newest version of Mint, it seems even less likely that it will have problems with an older - but still officially supported - version. Also, I am getting older, too, lol, and while I'm obviously younger than Mom, I've had some TBI that has sometimes made it difficult for me to learn new things (especially if I must first unlearn previously learned things/behaviors in order to do so). In addition to that, my vision is poor and sometimes new versions... it's like things are harder to read. I have used Mint 18 Xfce (sporadically - enough to know that it seems to function okay (IF I can ever get it installed again :roll: ), at least for basic tasks. Web browser, word processing / text editing, playing digitized audio and video content, occasional simple games (AisleRiot solitaire and a Nethack variant), ebook reading, and streaming news & podcasts. I can manage to do that in Mint 18 Xfce and the computer was able to handle it during the times when I tried 18 out previously.

Unfortunately, I was always more comfortable with 17.x - and the time when I would need to switch to a newer version was always "at some point in the future." It isn't, of course, in the future now :cry: .

Okay, NOW I will go back to the original thread and only post in it.

Thanks,
MDM
Mint 18 Xfce 4.12.

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat.

Return to “Installation & Boot”