Microsoft will ship Linux Kernel in Win 10's WSL

Chat about just about anything else
Forum rules
Do not post support questions here. Before you post read the forum rules. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 30 days after creation.
DAMIEN1307

Microsoft will ship Linux Kernel in Win 10's WSL

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Some time back, i had mentioned that Microsoft, while reading the handwriting on the wall that its own OS, (Win 10), with its constant borking of peoples systems etc during updates/upgrades etc., would eventually replace their kernel with a Linux kernel that they would rewrite with their own proprietary coding...they are doing exactly as predicted...enjoy...DAMIEN

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/6/18534 ... el-feature

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/05 ... ux-kernel/

https://fossbytes.com/windows-10-with-linux-kernel/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/05/0 ... _terminal/

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandl ... h-windows/

EDIT...as a side point, i would imagine this might eventually be good news for gamers using linux OSs since the game developers would now be effectively writing their software to run on linux.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:01 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 30 days after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: Microsoft will now use Linux Kernel in Win 10

Post by gm10 »

0/10

<º))))>
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

And...not only the linux kernel for Win 10, but also the new "Windows TERMINAL" being unveiled to integrate with its "command Prompt" and "power shell" etc,...is it time to be "very afraid" yet ???...lol...DAMIEN

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/commandl ... -terminal/

EDIT...sorry gm10, guess im too old...dont understand the symbols meaning you used...LOL.
0/10

<º))))>
Acewiza

Post by Acewiza »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:25 am...is it time to be "very afraid" yet ???
No. Windows is fully infected with Linux now. Mission accomplished. :D
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Naaaaah...my thinking is that Microsoft is just being a parasite "leaching" off of a well fed host...lol...DAMIEN
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

Given the appalling reputation of Windows 10, I wonder why Microsoft is not calling it Windows 11 to clearly differentiate it from its soiled predecessor.
Cliff Coggin
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

It would be a delightful irony that, as Google looks to abandon the Linux Kernel, Microsoft will seek to replace their own proprietary one with it.

If only Microsoft recognized this as the humble pie that it actually is.

I can imagine Ambassador Kosh and Satya Nadella talking about Free Software's encroachment on their market.

Nadella: What if it were your operating system?

Kosh: The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Honestly, though, I don't give a #*¢@!!! about Microsoft. Maybe, though I doubt it, some good will come from this. I would prefer gm10 and/or other programmers who are competent to comment do so because it's my impression there's more than just the kernel involved in developing a program for an operating system.

Now, when someone wants to share an article heralding Microsoft's flaming demise, then and only then will I get excited, jump up and down, and proclaim eternal digital salvation from the rafters.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Portreve wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:45 pm Honestly, though, I don't give a #*¢@!!! about Microsoft. Maybe, though I doubt it, some good will come from this. I would prefer gm10 and/or other programmers who are competent to comment do so because it's my impression there's more than just the kernel involved in developing a program for an operating system.
Oh stop it, you... but I already replied right up there. I thought I was clear enough, but apparently not: This is just your par for the course troll thread (like probably 100% of threads with Microsoft in the title around here). Microsoft is of course not replacing their own kernel. Always good to be reminded why I have someone on my blocklist I guess.
DAMIEN1307

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Sorry if misconstrued...was NEVER intended to be or meant to be a "troll" thread...just informational value only of what is currently in developement...Truly sorry indeed...sorry that some think me as such...never my intention what so ever...i only posted this as what i thought would be of interest to others out here as to what is going on...i guess im sadly mistaken and do say sorry to intrude on the forum for what i thought might have been some good articles that for once were really of some good info and good advertisement for Linux developers as well as fellow Linux adherents...DAMIEN
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Tue May 07, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

gm10 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:53 pm
Portreve wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:45 pm Honestly, though, I don't give a #*¢@!!! about Microsoft. Maybe, though I doubt it, some good will come from this. I would prefer gm10 and/or other programmers who are competent to comment do so because it's my impression there's more than just the kernel involved in developing a program for an operating system.
Oh stop it, you... but I already replied right up there. I thought I was clear enough, but apparently not: This is just your par for the course troll thread (like probably 100% of threads with Microsoft in the title around here). Microsoft is of course not replacing their own kernel. Always good to be reminded why I have someone on my blocklist I guess.
Ah! Ok. Sorry, I couldn't be bothered to look at the links posted above.

You're right, though: don't feed the trolls. :lol: Fair point, good sir.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

Like most things in the world, it's good news and bad news... The good news might be that there will likely be better manufacturer hardware support for Linux especially for "new" hardware!... Another piece of good news might be an API for Win Software to run on Linux or maybe software written to run on Linux natively - good bye WINE project or VMs to run Win Software under Linux! :D The bad news might be Linux malware in the wild...

(After reading Xenopeek's post below)... or maybe not!... :lol:

To quote RUSH - Changes aren't permanent, but change is!...

Peace!... :mrgreen:
Last edited by Reorx on Tue May 07, 2019 2:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:23 am Some time back, i had mentioned that Microsoft, while reading the handwriting on the wall that its own OS, (Win 10), with its constant borking of peoples systems etc during updates/upgrades etc., would eventually replace their kernel with a Linux kernel that they would rewrite with their own proprietary coding...they are doing exactly as predicted...enjoy...DAMIEN
You misread the articles you linked to. They are only going to ship a Linux kernel with WSL, the compatibility layer for running Linux executables on Windows. Sort of like a reverse Wine. WSL is an attempt to sell Windows as a platform to developers that need to target Linux deployment. So they can use familiar tools from Linux on Windows.
KBD47
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Microsoft will ship Linux Kernel in Win 10's WSL

Post by KBD47 »

MS wants to keep everyone within their ecosystem and not stepping out to use Linux.
As already mentioned, Windows is Not Running On A Linux Kernel, but that would be smart as more hardware would then work on Windows :)
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

DAMIEN1307 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 8:23 am Some time back, i had mentioned that Microsoft, while reading the handwriting on the wall that its own OS, (Win 10), with its constant borking of peoples systems etc during updates/upgrades etc., would eventually replace their kernel with a Linux kernel that they would rewrite with their own proprietary coding...they are doing exactly as predicted...enjoy...DAMIEN
When the world market share of Edge dropped below 5% recently, M$ gave up and adopted Google-Chromium's Blink engine. So, only when the world market share of Windows drops below 5%, will M$ adopt the Linux kernel for Windows. Presently, Windows has about 90% world market share. Will it drop to below 5% and how long.?
....... During the early 2000s, M$'s IE browser also had about 90% world market share, but has now dropped to about 8% today = took about 15 years.
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

michael louwe wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:35 pm ...Presently, Windows has about 90% world (desktop) market share...
And a little above 0% of the webserver market and a similar share of mobile market. Linux owns the webserver market and the mobile market as well (if you consider IOS a Linux decendant - Android is Linux.) The desktop market is ever shrinking - only students, folks who use computers at work, and old people like me use desktop/laptop systems. Because Linux is open source and SO adaptable/scalable, it is "mainstream" everywhere except the desktop... Last I looked, it owns the world's fastest supercomputer market as well (link)! :mrgreen:

&lt;Click to enlarge&gt;
<Click to enlarge>
Full time Linux Mint user since 2011 - Currently running LM21C on multiple Dell laptops - mostly Vostro models.

Image Image Image
gm10

Post by gm10 »

webserver-win-linux.png
Try again...
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Pepi »

I wish Windows would just nibshit out :evil:
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

Reorx wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:31 pmLast I looked, it owns the world's fastest supercomputer market as well
That link was down when I checked it, but the top 500 supercomputers have all been running Linux for at least the last 3 of the every-six-months surveys. But then, what else would they run?
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
michael louwe

Post by michael louwe »

Reorx wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:31 pm And a little above 0% of the webserver market and a similar share of mobile market.
gm10 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:57 pmTry again...
That's old and regurgitated news. Even M$ uses Linux for her Azure Cloud services mainly because Linux is free and does not cost M$ a single $ in licensing fees. On the desktop, free Linux does not count very much, especially for the enterprises, professionals and gamers. .......
Three years ago, Mark Russinovich, CTO of Azure, Microsoft's cloud program, said, "One in four [Azure] instances are Linux." Then, in 2017, it was 40 percent Azure virtual machines (VM) were Linux. Today, Scott Guthrie, Microsoft's executive vice president of the cloud and enterprise group, said in an interview, "it's about half now, but it varies on the day because a lot of these workloads are elastic, but sometimes slightly over half of Azure VMs are Linux." Microsoft later clarified, "about half Azure VMs are Linux."

That's right. Microsoft's prize cloud, Linux, not Windows Server, is now, at least some of the time, the most popular operating system. Windows Server isn't going to be making a come back.

You see as Guthrie added, "Every month, Linux goes up."

And it's not just Azure users who are turning to Linux.

"Native Azure services are often running on Linux," Guthrie added. "Microsoft is building more of these services. For example, Azure's Software Defined Network (SDN) is based on Linux."

It's not just on Azure that Microsoft is embracing Linux.

"Look at our simultaneous release of SQL Server on Linux. All of our projects now run on Linux," Guthrie said.
https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-now ... tes-azure/ - Sep 27, 2018
Reorx
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Reorx »

gm10 wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 4:57 pm webserver-win-linux.png

Try again...
The only current stat I could find was this >>>
nix.png
nix.png (7.28 KiB) Viewed 1962 times
The last time I looked (maybe a few years ago), Win was less than 2% of the market so 30% IS a dramatic improvement especially for MS but 'nix still owns that market... 8)

Image Image Image

Return to “Open Chat”