How to verify the ISO image on Windows

Write tutorials for Linux Mint here
More tutorials on https://github.com/orgs/linuxmint/discu ... /tutorials and (archive) on https://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial
Forum rules
Don't add support questions to tutorials; start your own topic in the appropriate sub-forum instead. Before you post read forum rules
gm10

Re: How to verify the ISO image on Windows

Post by gm10 »

Webatron wrote: Sat May 11, 2019 3:35 am I have all the files in the same directory, so I have no clue why this would be happeneing. Could someone help please?
Looks like you didn't right-click>Save as... the file and instead opened it and saved it via your browser's File menu as sha256sum.txt.gpg.txt. I suggest re-downloading both files because while it doesn't matter for that file how you save it, it does for the sha256sum.txt one because you're trying to authenticate that one.
Kaayy

Post by Kaayy »

Hi,

the command gpg --keyserver hkps://keyserver.ubuntu.com:443 --recv-key "27DE B156 44C6 B3CF 3BD7 D291 300F 846B A25B AE09"
fails with the error message: gpg: Empfangen vom Schlüsselserver fehlgeschlagen: Kein "Inquire" "Callback" für IPC gesetzt
English: keyserver receive failed: No Inqiure Callback set

The following worked for me: gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-key 27DEB15644C6B3CF3BD7D291300F846BA25BAE09
Information source: https://www.linuxquestions.org/question ... 175588736/

It would be nice if someone, could add this information to the first post.

Greetings
Last edited by Kaayy on Fri May 17, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Kaayy wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:20 pm It would be nice if someone, could add this information to the first post.
Thanks for the info. May I ask what version of Windows you used? Also did you freshly install GnuPG following the steps in the guide or did you already have it installed? Just trying to understand how you ended up with that error message, which is a libassuan API error, i.e. something broken withing gpg itself. Haven't run into that before so wondering if you're using a different version.
console65

Re: How to verify the ISO image on Windows [SOLVED]

Post by console65 »

Hi there.

I can't seem to verify my iso on Windows 10.

I followed the "Preparation" insructions and everything, but I type in the proper command into PowerShell I get the following error message:

C:\Users\kpiotrowski\Desktop\ISO>CertUtil -hashfile filename.iso SHA256
CertUtil: -hashfile command FAILED: 0x80070002 (WIN32: 2 ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)
CertUtil: The system cannot find the file specified.

Can anyone help me?
Last edited by console65 on Thu May 16, 2019 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

can you now try, again,, but with the use of the Command Prompt, that is in an command window ?.
- - as shown in that picture, under step three ?.
then continue with the Integrity Check - as shown.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
console65

Post by console65 »

Pierre wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:16 pm can you now try, again,, but with the use of the Command Prompt, that is in an command window ?.
- - as shown in that picture, under step three ?.
then continue with the Integrity Check - as shown.
I can't bring up the command prompt option for my "ISO" folder when I press 'SHIFT' and right click.

Do I just bring up the command prompt from the start menu?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

you can do that, but then you will have to browse to your ISO folder, manually:
- using those old DOS commands.

which is why, it's easier to obtain an Command Prompt, from the actual ISO folder, itself.

you can also use the Run search area - just search for 'CMD' or 'cmd' and then run that program:
- - the Command Prompt, itself & then try those commands, again, in that Prompt Shell.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
console65

Post by console65 »

Pierre wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 10:55 pm you can do that, but then you will have to browse to your ISO folder, manually:
- using those old DOS commands.

which is why, it's easier to obtain an Command Prompt, from the actual ISO folder, itself.
That sucks....

Well, I skipped ahead to the "Authenticity" check and everything is fine there. Just the "Integrity" check that's giving me issues...
console65

Post by console65 »

So I was able to open up command prompt for the ISO folder but I still got the same message.

Ugh..
console65

Post by console65 »

I'm an idiot. I didn't follow directions and put in the filename of the Linux Mint iso I downloaded.

Sorry.
Kaayy

Post by Kaayy »

gm10 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:52 pm
Kaayy wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:20 pm It would be nice if someone, could add this information to the first post.
Thanks for the info. May I ask what version of Windows you used? Also did you freshly install GnuPG following the steps in the guide or did you already have it installed? Just trying to understand how you ended up with that error message, which is a libassuan API error, i.e. something broken withing gpg itself. Haven't run into that before so wondering if you're using a different version.
Sorry, for the late answer.
Clean Windows 10 Pro, 64 Bit, with latest update (Version 1809, on a lenovo device).
Nothing was installed on that machine expect firefox.
Fresh installation of GnuPG - I followed the instruction guide.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

Kaayy wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:58 pm Sorry, for the late answer.
No worries, there's no rush on my end. ;) And thanks for the info. Does unfortunately not help me understand what happened (as I cannot reproduce it) but I'll keep it in mind.
havemercyonme

Post by havemercyonme »

I was forewarned that I might get abused for being an ignorant, non-technical, Windows user by veteran Linux users, but I'm desperate for an answer. Certainly the experience will probably not be as bad as my childhood. :D

I followed the instruction on this thread, and I was able to verify the ISO test and import the Linux Mint signing keyResults, but when I attempted to authenticate the sha256sum.txt file, I received these results:

C:\Users\Nancy\Desktop\ISO>gpg --verify sha256sum.txt.gpg sha256sum.txt
gpg: can't open 'sha256sum.txt.gpg': No such file or directory
gpg: verify signatures failed: No such file or directory

Since the ISO file passed the verification test, should I let this go? If not, are there any other commands I can enter to make this thing work?

Thank you!
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

havemercyonme wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:30 am I was forewarned that I might get abused for being an ignorant, non-technical, Windows user by veteran Linux users
Nahh. We don't generally do that here. It's a quaint old tradition and it has a lot of history, but I guess we aren't quite as traditionalist as that, and a bit more welcoming to newcomers. Here is a brief demonstration: Welcome! :wink:

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
gm10

Post by gm10 »

havemercyonme wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 11:30 am C:\Users\Nancy\Desktop\ISO>gpg --verify sha256sum.txt.gpg sha256sum.txt
gpg: can't open 'sha256sum.txt.gpg': No such file or directory
gpg: verify signatures failed: No such file or directory
That usually means you didn't right click > Save as... to save the file as per the instructions (and thus your browser modified the file and probably saved it with a .txt extension). We welcome the "ignorant, non-technical, Windows users", that's why I wrote this detailed guide, but you've got to follow all the steps exactly. Just download it again into that folder and then the command should complete successfully.

Also welcome to your Linux adventure. ;)
havemercyonme

Post by havemercyonme »

I did the right click with "Saved As" for those files with the same results. :(
gm10

Post by gm10 »

havemercyonme wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:24 pm I did the right click with "Saved As" for those files with the same results. :(
Into the same folder? The command is complaining that the file isn't there, so it either ended up somewhere else or did get a different name. You can open up the folder in Windows Explorer to see what you've got in it, or from the command line the command is dir.
havemercyonme

Post by havemercyonme »

Thanks for sticking with me. :D

These are the file names in the folder: sha256sum and sha256sum.txt.gpg
gm10

Post by gm10 »

havemercyonme wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 4:39 pm These are the file names in the folder: sha256sum and sha256sum.txt.gpg
That's from Explorer, right? Which is hiding the file extensions. My guess is that the actual files names will be sha256sum.txt (correct) and sha256sum.txt.gpg.txt (not correct). At least otherwise there's no reason gpg would complain. You can try renaming it but if it got named like that it's usually because it didn't get saved correctly (the right-click thing) and thus probably will fail authentication until you download it properly.
havemercyonme

Post by havemercyonme »

I think I might have it. I did the save as to that gpg file again, but I added the number 1 to the name, and this time it saved as gpg file rather than a text file. I'll get back to you, but I think this might work. Now I've renamed it to the proper name, and we'll see how it goes.
Last edited by havemercyonme on Wed May 22, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Tutorials”