Trying to resize window borders and control buttons

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help
photonfanatic
Level 1
Level 1

Trying to resize window borders and control buttons

Post by photonfanatic »

Hi all. I'm trying to resize the top borders of the windows, as well as the control buttons. Those little buttons in the top right for minimizing the window, closing the window, etc. Those buttons are too tiny for me and are difficult to see. The whole window border also seems really small. I'm using XFCE mint. Anyone know how I can increase the size of these buttons, and of the window border itself? I have a 1440p monitor and I've been able to get everything else scaled up properly. Just not those little window buttons.
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Trying to resize window borders and control buttons

Post by smurphos »

The quick answer is to use one of the stock hdpi window border themes - Window manager > select either Default-HDPI or Default-XHDPI
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
photonfanatic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by photonfanatic »

Thank you for the reply. I did that, and it worked. However, I would like to ask if there is a way to change the window buttons themselves. Maybe pick out a different theme, where the buttons look different.

I changed the HDPI, but if you notice, you don't get a whole lot of options that way. You just get the window border color they want, the buttons they want, and the button sizes they wanted. Its not like in KDE where you can actually size the buttons exactly how big you want them to be. And the same goes for the window border color, and size. Is there perhaps a program I could download where you can take more direct control over these aspects? Or maybe somewhere where I could look through some themes?

I'd like to get your suggestion because you were recommended to me specifically, smurfos. On Linux Mint IRC chat someone told me to come here and talk to you.
kreemoweet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kreemoweet »

Here's a place that has over a thousand themes for the XFCE window manager: https://www.xfce-look.org/browse/cat/138/
Or, you could learn how to make/edit your own theme, which is a bit of complicated work: https://wiki.xfce.org/howto/xfwm4_theme
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

^ - What he said..... :wink:

I've not messed with XFCE's xfwm4 window border theme format much so can't really give you any step by step on amending an existing theme, but a quick peruse through the themes on the first link and there are a lot that are HDPI friendly or include a HDPI version.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.
photonfanatic
Level 1
Level 1

Post by photonfanatic »

Thanks to both for the help! Yes it looks like that site is where I need to be. But as a newb, I'm having a little trouble installing anything. Can either of you explain why I'm getting this link when I try to install the OCS Store? If I understand correctly, I can't install a theme without the store to be able to download it, and then install it correctly on my computer. But when I try to install the store, I get this:

ocs://install?url=https%3A%2F%2Fdl.opendesktop.org%2Fapi%2Ffiles%2Fdownload%2Fid%2F1524476981%2Fs%2Fdd607af9961601809e0241a507db4385280892a3446111e6f5e44306ce1b9bb07ac9fcde626f8946e5fb4ae26b7483d5ddd64b83858dcb789a5e2c6fa3b2b212%2Ft%2F1557565649%2Flt%2Finstall%2Fx86_64&type=bin&filename=x86_64
smurphos
Level 17
Level 17

Post by smurphos »

I wouldn't bother with the OCS install method - it requires installing a helper application.

Just click on the theme's file name to download. In most cases this will be a compressed file format and you just need to extract the contents to your ~/.themes directory. Create this directory first if it doesn't already exist.

If you really do want to use the OCS helper applciation

1) Download this deb - https://www.opendesktop.org/p/1136805/s ... size=54502

2) Install use Gdebi

3) Use the OCS install link, the first time you may have to agree to allow your browser to open this link format with the OCS helper application.
rossdv8
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rossdv8 »

I've just come back to Mint XFCE after a long time using KDE.
I really liked the speed and flexibility of KDE4 but HATE navigating Plasma 5 because it is like trying to walk through knee deep honey, while wearing gumboots.

So, XFCE. It is fast, and can be made to look more or less as I want it. However, the little skinny borders around the windows drove me crazy.
I am well aware that resizing is meant to be done using TWO HANDS. But I prefer to use my mouse and click-drag on a border or corner.

I searched online (eventually found this page) and saw lots of more or less useless suggestions. Eventually though, I took the proffered advice and went looking at XFCE theme sites until on 'Pling.com' I found a theme called WideBordersBigButtons.

I added that to my XFCE and had one theme with nice wide grabbable edges.
Then, I accidentally applied the same border and buttons to all my other themes. I am not quite certain which mistake I made to achieve that, but I documented it here:

https://rossdevitt.blogspot.com/2020/01 ... pdate.html

And am sharing it in case it helps someone else who is frustrated by trying to grab a 1px border.

Here's how it turned out on the stock 'Adwaita Dark' theme (They now all change to their designed colours etc, but all have the same border and buttons)
borders.jpg
This was a dead easy fix across ALL themes in one go. Just involved downloading one theme from pling.com, etracting it and creating one folder in /home, then copying a couple of folders and files around.
Current main OS: MInt 19.3 Xfce on Lenovo m93p Tiny, i5-4590T (i915 graphics), 8GB RAM, 1TB Samsung SSD, 55 inch UHD monitor.

Return to “Newbie Questions”