Any hardware experts here? Serious problem in LM19.1 and LMDE3.

Questions about other topics - please check if your question fits better in another category before posting here
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Laniakean
Level 1
Level 1

Any hardware experts here? Serious problem in LM19.1 and LMDE3.

Post by Laniakean » Tue May 14, 2019 2:47 pm

Are there any PC hardware experts here?

I am having a grave problem with both Linux Mint (19.1) and LMDE3 on the same computer.

Linux Mint 17.3 is no longer supported, so I installed LM 19.1 on my aging computer a couple of weeks ago (Core i5-3450, Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H mobo, 8 GB DDR3-RAM, 500 GB HD, 500 GB SSD, Geforce GT 630).

Since about 2012 (that long) Linux Mint has run fine on this PC, alongside Windows Vista (yes, THAT Windows Vista). LM 17.3 and Vista were in dual boot on a 500 GB HD. Linux Mint 19.1 was installed on a newly bought SSD (Crucial MX500) and everything was working well (with Mint 19.1, at least).

Then "weird" things started to happen with Mint 19.1.

After a random amount of time watching YouTube in Firefox, Firefox would crash/hang. And a number of seconds later, the WHOLE of Mint would "hang"...
Only the mouse cursor and the keyboard lights would still work - nothing else - and I would have to do a hard reset (long live the reset button...).

A number of days ago, for example, the PC spontaneously rebooted, while watching YouTube.

It only seems to happen, while watching YouTube videos. I am now posting this, and the PC works just fine, with fans humming along nicely.

I have been replacing as many hardware parts as possible:

It is not the PSU (from an old OCZ 600W to a Corsair RM650X).
It is not the mechanical hard drive (it happens with the SSD too).
It is not Firefox (the "crashing"/"hanging" happens with Opera too).
It is not the (old) Geforce GT 630 (it happens with a new (second-hand) GTX 770 too). I have a Geforce GT 1030 (by MSI), but the PC will not boot with this card and stays stuck at the Gigabyte BIOS/UEFI boot screen (odd...).

It is NOT Linux Mint 19.1, as I first thought, because the previous weekend (3 days ago) I have installed LMDE3 "over" LM 17.3 on the mechanical harddrive (LM 19.1 is on the SSD). And since last Saturday, with Chromium [73.0.3683.75 (Developer Build)] in LMDE3, the tab in which YouTube was open, crashed once (although Chromium did not crash/hang).

And last night after over 45 minutes at YouTube in Chromium, my 24-inch Samsung LCD went black, and that was it... The PC was still powered on, fans running and such, but no image... I powered down the PC by holding the POWER button and left it at that, last night.

I am now typing this in LMDE3 on said computer, and everything works just fine, knock on wood.

I have inspected the motherboard (GA-H77-D3H from Gigabyte), but I see nothing suspicious (like bulged or leaking capacitors or whatnot). Same with the Geforce GT 630, which was in this PC since I bought the PC.

I have not checked or tested the RAM yet (1 x 4 GB and 2 x 2 GB; little mistake in buying more RAM, but the 8 GB is seen and works fine (also in Windows Vista, which shows a BSoD for now, but that is not the problem--well, it is, but never mind that here and now :) ).

Since this is an aging machine, I am slowly starting to fear that this is a hardware issue and that it may be the beginning of the end of my loyal computer, lovingly called "Puma".

(There's also the "Cougar" (with an i5-2500K, about as old or even a bit older as the aforementioned "Puma"), and there's the "Panther" (with an i7-3770K), and then my 4 months old machine called "Ryzen", by lack of imagination, with a - you guessed it - Ryzen 5 1600.) Yes, I have a few computers.

Anyway, the "uptime" of LMDE3 on the 500 GB harddrive is now over an hour and 20 minutes, and it is running just fine. No "hanging" of Chromium or of LMDE3.
This grave problem of "hanging"/"crashing" only seems to happen during YouTube video's.

So hence my questions, Are there any computer hardware experts here who might have an idea about what is going on?

Is there a way to check in Linux Mint (19.1 or LMDE3), like in log files, what exactly happens during a "crash"/"hanging" of Linux Mint/in LMDE3?

deepakdeshp
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Any hardware experts here? Serious problem in LM19.1 and LMDE3.

Post by deepakdeshp » Tue May 14, 2019 3:34 pm

Try smartctl command and https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Smartmontools
For your disk check.

Code: Select all

man smartctl
gives more information.
Run memtest from grub to test memory.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
I am using Mint 19.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A8/7410 processor . Memory 8GB

Laniakean
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Laniakean » Tue May 14, 2019 4:03 pm

Hello deepakdeshp,

I have never had any problems with WD hard drives (unlike with Seagate...).

It is getting late in the evening, so I did the short HD test just now:

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      3133         -
# 2  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      2959         -
# 3  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      2935         -
# 4  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      2092         -
So, all well there, it seems. The long test takes almost 1 hour and a half, so that will be for another day.

The "Puma" is now running for 2 hours and a half (just reading here on the forums) and nothing weird or bad is happening. The "crashing" and "hanging" only happens with YouTube video's.

I will try the extended (long) test. And test the RAM, too. Hope that will show nothing (or something).

deepakdeshp
Level 14
Level 14

Post by deepakdeshp » Tue May 14, 2019 4:10 pm

Did you clean the inside of the machine of lint and dirt, checked fans?

inxi -Fxz|grep -i temper
will give you the temperature. Please ensure it's not very high.
Good luck
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.

jglen490
Level 5
Level 5

Post by jglen490 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:03 pm

Laniakean wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:47 pm
Are there any PC hardware experts here?

I am having a grave problem with both Linux Mint (19.1) and LMDE3 on the same computer.

Linux Mint 17.3 is no longer supported, so I installed LM 19.1 on my aging computer a couple of weeks ago (Core i5-3450, Gigabyte GA-H77-D3H mobo, 8 GB DDR3-RAM, 500 GB HD, 500 GB SSD, Geforce GT 630).

Since about 2012 (that long) Linux Mint has run fine on this PC, alongside Windows Vista (yes, THAT Windows Vista). LM 17.3 and Vista were in dual boot on a 500 GB HD. Linux Mint 19.1 was installed on a newly bought SSD (Crucial MX500) and everything was working well (with Mint 19.1, at least).

Then "weird" things started to happen with Mint 19.1.

After a random amount of time watching YouTube in Firefox, Firefox would crash/hang. And a number of seconds later, the WHOLE of Mint would "hang"...
Only the mouse cursor and the keyboard lights would still work - nothing else - and I would have to do a hard reset (long live the reset button...).

A number of days ago, for example, the PC spontaneously rebooted, while watching YouTube.

It only seems to happen, while watching YouTube videos. I am now posting this, and the PC works just fine, with fans humming along nicely.

I have been replacing as many hardware parts as possible:

It is not the PSU (from an old OCZ 600W to a Corsair RM650X).
It is not the mechanical hard drive (it happens with the SSD too).
It is not Firefox (the "crashing"/"hanging" happens with Opera too).
It is not the (old) Geforce GT 630 (it happens with a new (second-hand) GTX 770 too). I have a Geforce GT 1030 (by MSI), but the PC will not boot with this card and stays stuck at the Gigabyte BIOS/UEFI boot screen (odd...).

It is NOT Linux Mint 19.1, as I first thought, because the previous weekend (3 days ago) I have installed LMDE3 "over" LM 17.3 on the mechanical harddrive (LM 19.1 is on the SSD). And since last Saturday, with Chromium [73.0.3683.75 (Developer Build)] in LMDE3, the tab in which YouTube was open, crashed once (although Chromium did not crash/hang).

And last night after over 45 minutes at YouTube in Chromium, my 24-inch Samsung LCD went black, and that was it... The PC was still powered on, fans running and such, but no image... I powered down the PC by holding the POWER button and left it at that, last night.

I am now typing this in LMDE3 on said computer, and everything works just fine, knock on wood.

I have inspected the motherboard (GA-H77-D3H from Gigabyte), but I see nothing suspicious (like bulged or leaking capacitors or whatnot). Same with the Geforce GT 630, which was in this PC since I bought the PC.

I have not checked or tested the RAM yet (1 x 4 GB and 2 x 2 GB; little mistake in buying more RAM, but the 8 GB is seen and works fine (also in Windows Vista, which shows a BSoD for now, but that is not the problem--well, it is, but never mind that here and now :) ).

Since this is an aging machine, I am slowly starting to fear that this is a hardware issue and that it may be the beginning of the end of my loyal computer, lovingly called "Puma".

(There's also the "Cougar" (with an i5-2500K, about as old or even a bit older as the aforementioned "Puma"), and there's the "Panther" (with an i7-3770K), and then my 4 months old machine called "Ryzen", by lack of imagination, with a - you guessed it - Ryzen 5 1600.) Yes, I have a few computers.

Anyway, the "uptime" of LMDE3 on the 500 GB harddrive is now over an hour and 20 minutes, and it is running just fine. No "hanging" of Chromium or of LMDE3.
This grave problem of "hanging"/"crashing" only seems to happen during YouTube video's.

So hence my questions, Are there any computer hardware experts here who might have an idea about what is going on?

Is there a way to check in Linux Mint (19.1 or LMDE3), like in log files, what exactly happens during a "crash"/"hanging" of Linux Mint/in LMDE3?
This could be typical of hardware issues, especially memory. Have you tried removing each RAM module and inspecting the contacts for dirt or corrosion? Sometimes, just removing and re-inserting each memory module, or swapping their positions will clear up memory issues. I just upgraded my main desktop's CPU and upon boot the machine kept restarting. i thought it was a bad CPU, but I did some troubleshooting that ended up swapping each pair of modules to the other pair's positions and the machine just started up and has been running well ever since.

If that doesn't do it, then run a memtest overnight, as previously recommended.
I feel more like I do than I did when I got here.
Toshiba A135-S2386, Intel T2080, ATI Radeon® Xpress 200M Chipset, 2GB RAM, 500GB

GELvdH
Level 3
Level 3

Post by GELvdH » Tue May 14, 2019 7:23 pm

I heard somewhere that there are issues with some of the YouTube videos but I can't confirm that since I don't go on YouTube.

sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor » Tue May 14, 2019 8:42 pm

Laniakean wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 2:47 pm

I have not checked or tested the RAM yet
The memory was the first thing I thought of when I started reading your post so like others have said check that.

The second thing that can cause that is power issues. Check the power cord for shorts. If that's not it try a different power supply.

Third check the CMOS battery.

You could also install youtube downloader and try that to confirm that it is truly caused by watching youtube with firefox or try watching youtube with chromium.

for the most update version

sudo apt install pipsi

pip install -U youtube-dl
if you don't trust a script from pip get the version that often doesn't work.

sudo apt install youtube-dl

It also might be time to get a new computer rather then put a lot of new money into this one.

deepakdeshp
Level 14
Level 14

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed May 15, 2019 12:51 am

Your hardware is quite good and no need to retire it. I am running a machine with AMD a8 7410 processor with 8 GB flawlessly since 4 years.

smurphos
Level 11
Level 11

Post by smurphos » Wed May 15, 2019 1:07 am

Can you report back the inxi -Fxxxz output for the machines.

The issue is likely to be that in both Firefox and Chromium on Linux watching online video including youtube uses the CPU rather than the GPU for video decoding, which can ramp up the CPU use, in turn ramping up temperatures. The effect is increased the higher the resolution of the video being watched. It sounds like your systems are not cooling very effectively and hitting a thermal shutdown.

The thing I want to check from the inxi is that you are not also running in software rendering mode in general - this will further ramp up the CPU use...

None of your systems I'd consider 'old', more 'middle-aged' :wink: - I run Cinnamon 19.1 just fine on a i5-2430m (2012 laptop) and don't have the type of issues you suffer but the machine only has a 1366x768 resolution so it only runs a little warm with noisy fans when when watching online video as the video resolutions are relatively low. It also gets taken apart, cleaned, the fan bearings lubricated, and new thermal paste applied every couple of years.

Do look at the other suggestions mentioned in the thread.

Also to avoid a hard power reset which can result in data corruption, if you need to reboot a frozen system try using this system request key sequence. Hold Alt-PrtScr and press in order R E I S U B. This is a file system safe reboot.
For custom Nemo actions, useful scripts for the Cinnamon desktop, and Cinnamox themes visit my Github pages.

sgtor
Level 4
Level 4

Post by sgtor » Wed May 15, 2019 8:09 am

Just to clarify I agree the computer is not too old for Linux, far from it. I actually run Linux on an old Compaq n600C laptop.

My point was if it does indeed turn out to be a hardware issue that can't be solved then it might be a better idea to put money into a new computer instead of putting more money into this old one.

It sounds like you've already put money into it trying to solve this problem so if it comes down to it you could just keep the new components you've already bought and replace the ones you haven't yet and put them in the same case essentially building a new computer without buying a ready built new one.

The risk there is not actually replacing the problem component and still having issues.

As long as it's a new motherboard and power supply with new power cord it generally solves these reboot issues but I have seen that scenario not work in the computer repair world before.

I used to work as a computer repair tech years ago way back when a 286 or 386 was common and the 486 was the newest and greatest expensive computer to own.
And I am far from an expert I just know the basics. I really dislike computer repair actually I much prefer the software side of things and good working computer.

All that being said I like smurphos's comment. That could very well be the issue.

Pjotr
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pjotr » Wed May 15, 2019 9:37 am

smurphos wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 1:07 am
Can you report back the inxi -Fxxxz output for the machines.
:!:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.

lsemmens
Level 8
Level 8

Post by lsemmens » Wed May 15, 2019 9:50 am

I'm thinking along the lines of CPU getting hot, here, as per Smurphos' suggestion. It might be worth looking at giving the CPU and heatsink a fresh dose of thermal compound.

FWIW my oldest machines running 19.1 Cinnamon are Core II duos so your I5 is quite modern! It should serve you well for a few more years yet.
Kernel: 4.15.0-46-generic x86_64 bits
Desktop: Cinnamon 3.8.9
Distro: Linux Mint 19 Tara

Laptop HP-ProBook-470-G2 8Gb RAM SSD
Server AMD Phenom 9650 - GEForce 9400GT 6Gb RAM
+ three other Mint machines
Out of my mind - please leave a message

deepakdeshp
Level 14
Level 14

Post by deepakdeshp » Wed May 15, 2019 1:14 pm

inxi -Fxz|grep -i temper
this code will give the temperature.

Return to “Other topics”