MATE menu - overlapping categories

Write suggestions and new ideas in here
More ideas here http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Forum rules
  • Only post ideas here that are specifically about the Linux Mint distribution or its websites.
  • So that developers and users from any distribution can discuss ideas in one place, post ideas about improving software to the collaboration website for that software instead.
iain_33
Level 2
Level 2

MATE menu - overlapping categories

Post by iain_33 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:26 pm

A suggestion to merge or reorganise the System Tools / Administration / Preferences categories on the MATE menu. The three seem to overlap, some programs I'd expect to be together are split across categories, and I never know which one to look in to find what I need. I find the Control Centre is much better organised (although it's notably missing Timeshift, maybe Redshift could go in there too?) - could the menu be reorganised to reflect the Control Cente categories?

- System Reports is under Administration, while Log File Viewer and System Monitor are under System Tools

- Network is under Administration, while Network Connections and Network Proxy are under Preferences

- Software Manager / Synaptic / Update Manager are in Administration, Timeshift is in System Tools

- Most of the appearance-related settings (Appearance, CompizConfig, Qt5, etc) are in Preferences, but Redshift is in Accessories

- Disks is under Preferences, while Disk Usage is under System Tools
Linux Mint 19.1 MATE (64 bit) on a HP G70 laptop (circa 2008)
Intel Pentium Dual Core T3400 @ 2.16GHz -- 3GB RAM -- 1TB HDD
Intel Mobile 4 Series graphics -- Intel 82801I audio
Atheros AR242x/AR542x wireless network adapter

gm10
Level 17
Level 17

Re: MATE menu - overlapping categories

Post by gm10 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:33 pm

I agree that it's sometimes random, but the problem is not with the menu, it's with the applications. Each application defines for itself which categories it wants to be shown in.

You can use the menu editor to move entries to another category yourself though.

iain_33
Level 2
Level 2

Post by iain_33 » Wed May 15, 2019 12:56 pm

I thought that may be the case. Am I right in thinking then, that most of those applications are made by different developers with different ideas of where they should be? In which case could they be persuaded to get together and organise them a bit better. Maybe even combine some of the applications, like the Network / Network Connections / Network Proxy ones.
Linux Mint 19.1 MATE (64 bit) on a HP G70 laptop (circa 2008)
Intel Pentium Dual Core T3400 @ 2.16GHz -- 3GB RAM -- 1TB HDD
Intel Mobile 4 Series graphics -- Intel 82801I audio
Atheros AR242x/AR542x wireless network adapter

gm10
Level 17
Level 17

Post by gm10 » Wed May 15, 2019 2:06 pm

Sure, although everybody has got their own ideas where things belong. Take your network apps for example. Network and Network Proxy both belong to the MATE desktop, i.e. they come from the same source. They decided to put the Network into Administration because it requires admin (root) privileges, and the Network Proxy into Preferences because it's just user-specific settings. Now if it was my software I'd likely have combined both apps into a single tool and left it all in Administration. Differences of opinion.

Return to “Suggestions & New Ideas”