[SOLVED]? pop up explained?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stevengarland
Level 5
Level 5

Re: ? pop up explained?

Post by stevengarland »

steven@steven-Studio-1747:~$ blkid
/dev/sda1: UUID="2938dac2-da4b-474f-b266-5ea172e1d346" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="276faea9-01"
/dev/sdb1: LABEL="DATA" UUID="2064a504-67d0-45da-b848-0278f89fb65c" TYPE="ext4" PARTUUID="05fc8e8d-d4ec-4280-b197-5f4fb11994b4"
steven@steven-Studio-1747:~$ mount
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
udev on /dev type devtmpfs (rw,nosuid,relatime,size=3013772k,nr_inodes=753443,mode=755)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,gid=5,mode=620,ptmxmode=000)
tmpfs on /run type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,noexec,relatime,size=609204k,mode=755)
/dev/sda1 on / type ext4 (rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro,data=ordered)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
tmpfs on /run/lock type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,size=5120k)
tmpfs on /sys/fs/cgroup type tmpfs (ro,nosuid,nodev,noexec,mode=755)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/unified type cgroup2 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,nsdelegate)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/systemd type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,xattr,name=systemd)
pstore on /sys/fs/pstore type pstore (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpu,cpuacct type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpu,cpuacct)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/memory type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,memory)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/hugetlb type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,hugetlb)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,freezer)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/perf_event type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,perf_event)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/devices type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,devices)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/blkio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,blkio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/pids type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,pids)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/net_cls,net_prio type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,net_cls,net_prio)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/rdma type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,rdma)
cgroup on /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset type cgroup (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,cpuset)
systemd-1 on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type autofs (rw,relatime,fd=25,pgrp=1,timeout=0,minproto=5,maxproto=5,direct,pipe_ino=19510)
mqueue on /dev/mqueue type mqueue (rw,relatime)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw,relatime)
hugetlbfs on /dev/hugepages type hugetlbfs (rw,relatime,pagesize=2M)
tracefs on /sys/kernel/debug/tracing type tracefs (rw,relatime)
configfs on /sys/kernel/config type configfs (rw,relatime)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw,relatime)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/DATA type ext4 (rw,nosuid,nodev,noatime,data=ordered,user)
tmpfs on /run/user/1000 type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,size=609200k,mode=700,uid=1000,gid=1000)
gvfsd-fuse on /run/user/1000/gvfs type fuse.gvfsd-fuse (rw,nosuid,nodev,relatime,user_id=1000,group_id=1000)
steven@steven-Studio-1747:~$

PS I am going to disable all notifications to see what happens.
Keep It Simple Sweetheart
stevengarland
Level 5
Level 5

Post by stevengarland »

Just a thought:

I have Timeshift set to back up once a week to my sdb-1 drive. The pop up that I see most says "backup failed". Any connection here?
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Undoubtedly.

Your above information shows the UUID from the original information to indeed belong to the filesystem on /dev/sdb1. That original information mentions an attempt to create /media/steven/<uuid> but your /dev/sdb1 is in fact at this point mounted on /media/DATA. /media/steven/<uuid> is the location where a label-less filesystem from a removeable drive would be automounted: together with the Timeshift information I now expect that your Timeshift's backup location was initialized at a time when your second drive DID reside on a removable drive -- a USB enclosure? -- and that it's now still looking for the drive there.

I don't use Timeshift but I assume you will want to go into its options and remove its current settings (maybe including current backups if needed and if in fact still correctly found) and then reconfigure the thing from scratch. That is, it seems it would be Timeshift that's complaining via popup even though apparently nothing identifies the popup as such (?).

If that's not it I'm probably out of ideas. Something like Timeshift is part of the type of software I do not use, fairly specifically due to "user-friendly" automation generally necessitating a lot of debugging of impenetrably "friendly" infrastructure when -- not if -- it eventually effs up.
stevengarland
Level 5
Level 5

solved

Post by stevengarland »

Rene, Thanks for all your insights.
At one time, when I was starting out with Mint, I did try to use my Seagate backup (that I had used with Windows) to bring files into Mint. This did work but not too well or two easily. The Seagate was, of course, plugged unto a USB port. It is not plugged in now.

Since I believe that the simplest solution is best (and most elegant) I am going to get rid of Timeshift. I'm sure that I can figure out something else.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

With apologies for my miserable wording --- "[ ... ] at a time when your second drive DID reside on a removable drive"; I've been somewhat busy here... --- I'd say that just deleting current Timeshift configuration and reconfiguring it anew rather then foregoing it completely would likely be the better attempt as to at least knowing what the problem amounted to. Especially since I'm frankly still not confident I understand what you are seeing/experiencing there.

But, sure, if indeed it's a Timeshift issue getting rid of the thing also works...
stevengarland
Level 5
Level 5

Post by stevengarland »

Rene
I switched to APTIK and have seen no pop up so far.
stevengarland
Level 5
Level 5

Post by stevengarland »

solved
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

Thanks for noting!
stevengarland
Level 5
Level 5

Post by stevengarland »

I also learned that notifications and popups are not the same thing
stevengarland
Level 5
Level 5

Re: ? pop up explained?solved

Post by stevengarland »

solved
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Hi stevengarland, good that you sorted it. A tip though; it's the title of the first post in the thread which needs to have [SOLVED] added as it will then show up in Forum search results. :wink:

All the best!
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE

Return to “Software & Applications”