Bootable Raid 5 install

Questions about Grub, UEFI,the liveCD and the installer
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Emoney13
Level 1
Level 1

Bootable Raid 5 install

Post by Emoney13 »

I have been at this for awhile (month or so) and i am stuck. I am trying to install Linux on to 6 nas segate 6tb drives configured to raid 5 bootable. This is a new build and any help would very much be appreciated.
The motherboard is capable of sata raid 5 in the bios. Help needed thank you...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Bootable Raid 5 install

Post by catweazel »

Emoney13 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 8:42 pm The motherboard is capable of sata raid 5 in the bios.
That's called fakeRAID. If you plan on using mdadm to manage the RAID array, set the disks to AHCI, not RAID. You need to read up on mdadm.

Your best approach is quite different though. I use hardware RAID 5EE, which is not the same as RAID 5 though it is similar. I have two servers each with six disks in RAID 5EE, where one acts as a backup to the other. You can pick up a single HW RAID card for under $US60, this for example, but you'll need to buy two SAS to SATA connector cables. Or this one for under $US80 including two cables. The Adaptec ASR-6805T cards I've given you links to are brand new, UEFI compatible and are bootable, and you'll get 500MB/s read performance. If you buy the cables seperately, you'll need Mini SAS SFF-8087 cables.

If you value your data then I would encourage you to consider moving to hardware RAID and give any kind of fakeRAID or softRAID a very wide berth. After a massive data loss I wouldn't touch either fakeRAID or softRAID with someone else's ten-foot pole, to be honest.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

@catweasel,
What are you running on your servers, and are they so critical that you have a RAID and a hot stand by system?
Why not run the things from cloud instead of maintaining the infrastructure yourself?
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

Mint 21.1 Cinnamon 64 bit with AMD A6 / 8GB
Mint 21.1 Cinnamon AMD Ryzen3500U/8gb
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

deepakdeshp wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:28 am @catweasel,
What are you running on your servers, and are they so critical that you have a RAID and a hot stand by system?
Why not run the things from cloud instead of maintaining the infrastructure yourself?
Have you any idea what it would cost for 22TB of cloud storage with 500 megabytes per second read speed? You know, 5 gigabits per second?

I guess not.

$0.19 per gigabyte per month, just for accessing the data, sans 5Gb/s access, plus $0.023 per Gb per month for storage.

https://cloud.google.com/storage/pricing

Do the math.

$0.023 per Gb per month = 22 x 1000 x 0.023 = $506 per month. Yeah, right.

Now add at least 2TB/month in data transfer.

2 x 1000 x 0.19 = $380.

Pigs will fly.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

catweazel wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:03 am
deepakdeshp wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:28 am @catweasel,
Have you any idea what it would cost for 22TB of cloud storage with 500 megabytes per second read speed? You know, 5 gigabits per second?

I guess not.

$0.19 per gigabyte per month, just for accessing the data, sans 5Gb/s access, plus $0.023 per Gb per month for storage.

https://cloud.google.com/storage/pricing

Do the math.

$0.023 per Gb per month = 22 x 1000 x 0.023 = $506 per month. Yeah, right.

Now add at least 2TB/month in data transfer.

2 x 1000 x 0.19 = $380.

Pigs will fly.
Are they Ubuntu servers? You are talking huge numbers.What requires you have 22TB storage and 2TB?/month net data? It's fascinating that you run such huge set up at a ripe young age of 86. I would like to know more about this, if possible.
If I have helped you solve a problem, please add [SOLVED] to your first post title, it helps other users looking for help.
Regards,
Deepak

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

deepakdeshp wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:56 am Are they Ubuntu servers? You are talking huge numbers.What requires you have 22TB storage and 2TB?/month net data? It's fascinating that you run such huge set up at a ripe young age of 86. I would like to know more about this, if possible.
Muon-neutrino, muon-hadron, gluon-gluon-hadron interactions, VBF H → WW → llνν, Drell-Yan ττ / Mττ processes. Nothing much, only the small stuff.
deepakdeshp
Level 20
Level 20

Post by deepakdeshp »

catweazel wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 6:27 am
deepakdeshp wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:56 am Are they Ubuntu servers? You are talking huge numbers.What requires you have 22TB storage and 2TB?/month net data? It's fascinating that you run such huge set up at a ripe young age of 86. I would like to know more about this, if possible.
Muon-neutrino, muon-hadron, gluon-gluon-hadron interactions, VBF H → WW → llνν, Drell-Yan ττ / Mττ processes. Nothing much, only the small stuff.
Great , though its beyond me to understand. :?
Regards,
Deepak

Emoney13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Emoney13 »

Well that defeats the money savings of motherboard raid. So what raid card would be recommended for booting Linux Mint OS in raid 5 on 6 nas seagate hard drives?
tried madam and was unsuccessful in booting Linux in raid 5, only recognized 7.5 tb....

Thank you, and i appreciate all of everyone's input...
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Emoney13 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:40 pm So what raid card would be recommended for booting Linux Mint OS in raid 5 on 6 nas seagate hard drives?
I gave you that information already.
Emoney13
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Emoney13 »

I see that now thank you....
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

Emoney13 wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 11:52 pm I see that now thank you....
It's my pleasure.

Cheers.

Return to “Installation & Boot”