Questions about specific things before installing?!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Madyorbek

Questions about specific things before installing?!

Post by Madyorbek »

Hello there? I need to ask about Linux Mint, I am thinking which distro's is better for overall performance. Currently, I have gaming laptop MSI GL62M 7RDX; CORE i7; CPU 8GB; GTX 1050-4GB; 128 GB SSD; 1TB HDD. I started using Windows 10 pro but after a lot of updates it starts lagging, crashing and lots of system errors. So, I decided to move Linux OS. I was using Adobe whole products everytime and I need MSI utilities drivers for daily use. Sometimes I play some games. Also, is it possible to install any social media apps like Facebook, Google sources, Imo, telegram and Skype? So, guys that's what I wanted to ask from you?! THANK YOU!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Questions about specific things before installing?!

Post by Mark Phelps »

Unless I'm mistaken, the MSI Utilities Drivers would be strictly MS Windows stuff -- and since you need that for daily use, then switching to Linux will not work.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "Madyorbek",

Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux Mint and its excellent forum!

You can easily run any Linux Mint edition (64-bit) with that hardware. I would recommend Cinnamon 19.1 64-bit.

It would help to know more about your system setup. From Linux Mint, if you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.
Madyorbek wrote:I was using Adobe whole products everytime and I need MSI utilities drivers for daily use.
Nobody needs to check for and or install daily drivers for their computer's motherboard (mainboard) which I infer as MSI?

There are options available from your computer's Bios and in the Linux mint "Synaptic Package Manager (SPM)" for updating hardware firmware.

MSI drivers for Linux? : linuxhardware
https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxhardware/ ... for_linux/
Madyorbek wrote:Sometimes I play some games.
Obviously, you can run any Linux games which there are many and more always on the way, and thanks to Steam for Linux with Proton support everyone can run a lot of Ms Windows only games from within Steam, assuming you have hardware capable of running the games. There is also "Lutris" and other options as well.
Madyorbek wrote:Also, is it possible to install any social media apps like Facebook, Google sources, Imo, telegram and Skype? So, guys that's what I wanted to ask from you?! THANK YOU!
There are options to run most if not all of the Social Media systems including those you mentioned except I do not know what "Imo" is? There are some cool apps like "Rambox" (Community free edition or paid for) and "Franz" which can run multiple social apps at the same time.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
pbear
Level 16
Level 16

Post by pbear »

Madyorbek wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 1:03 pmI started using Windows 10 pro but after a lot of updates it starts lagging, crashing and lots of system errors.
Have you considered doing a Win10 refresh? They added that utility to address your exact situation.

By all means, give Linux a try. Keep your Windows system, though, while you learn Linux and figure out whether it will suit your needs. Dual boot is one option, but not one I like personally. Dueling updates can be a problem and unwinding is gnarly. OTOH, many users like it. A much better option, in my opinion, is installation to a second computer. Perhaps you have an old one in a closet, or you can buy a cheap used laptop. Keeps the systems separate (no conflicts) and even serves a useful purpose, i.e., a backup computer if your Win10 machine has to go to the shop. Third option is full install to USB drive. Fourth option is a virtual machine running under either VirtualBox or VMware.
Petermint
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Petermint »

Windows arrives with drivers for everything, one of many reasons why it chews up 20 ~ 30 GB on your 128 GB SSD before you load your files. Linux arrives with less and used only 6 GB. You might have to load an extra driver when installing Linux.

Usually Linux works with everything on a motherboard that is a year old or more. A brand new MB might have a brand new wireless network chip and you might have to wait 3 ~ 6 months before there is a driver for Linux. I had to wait only once and it was only a few weeks.

The next problem is usually brand new Nvidia chips. You have to wait until a Marvel superhero arrives to make an Nvidia driver work.

I suggest loading a live LM Cinnamon 64 bit latest release and test everything. Most people find they do not need Dr Strange.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

You do not have to stop using WInfdows, you can still run it in a dual boot setup orr in a virtual machine like Virtualbox ... the latter is probably best. While I haven't had any Windows partitions for some time I don't think everone should do that, and I think beginners are often too eager to get rid of it. SOme things actually really do need Windows.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Madyorbek

Help me to fix over updates?

Post by Madyorbek »

Hello Users, how are you doing? I have gaming laptop and i made it as dual bootable laptop. I was using Windows 10 pro before and i faced system update, once it was working good but after some days there was some update again. Then i updated my laptop and it is not entering even Linux Mint and Windows 10 pro. Almost 2 days my laptop's screen is black. I tried a lot fixing by watching some tutorials on YouTube and asking about this problem from Microsoft community center... I hope u will understand my problem. Thank you!
sleeper12
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Help me to fix over updates?

Post by sleeper12 »

If these were Mint updates that caused the problem, maybe you can use Timeshift to go back before this happened.
If Windows, maybe System Restore?
Last edited by sleeper12 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Beginner Questions”