naming terminals

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
royston
Level 2
Level 2

naming terminals

Post by royston »

When using NetBSD i found it useful to name the tabs of the terminal emulators I was using: vi, ./, top and so on. I have not been able to discover how to do this in Linux Mint. Is there a way?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gm10

Re: naming terminals

Post by gm10 »

Depends on your terminal emulator. In this one you can just right-click the tabs:
mate-terminal-tab-naming.png
royston
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royston »

Here is a screenshot of the terminal I am using (right-clickingdoesn't seem to offer any alternatives) :
present_terminal.png
royston
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royston »

Thanks you. I was not aware that different terminals were available. Any suggestions on how to change mine?
royston
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royston »

I may have this handled: open System Settings >> Preferred Applications >> and select Terminal ? I will try that. Thanks again.
gm10

Post by gm10 »

royston wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:25 pm Here is a screenshot of the terminal I am using (right-clickingdoesn't seem to offer any alternatives) :
You'll have to actually add another tab for that option. If you want change the default name of the terminal window itself you can do that in its preferences.
royston wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:27 pm Thanks you. I was not aware that different terminals were available. Any suggestions on how to change mine?
Take a look through the Software Manager, there's a ton of different terminal emulators available. But see above, your current one should be fine.
royston
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royston »

This didn't work. I got to system settings > preferred applications (see screenshot)
preferred_apps.png
but the terminal button did not offer a drop-down menu. Is there a way to install alternative terminals?
gm10

Post by gm10 »

royston wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 4:49 pm Is there a way to install alternative terminals?
As I said, use Software Manager to find and install one. The Preferred Applications listing only lets you choose from what you've already installed.
royston
Level 2
Level 2

Post by royston »

I installed MATE and I like it! Problem solved! Thanks everybody!

Return to “Beginner Questions”