Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
dougmn
Level 1
Level 1

Program to easily compare 2 or more photos

Post by dougmn » Fri May 17, 2019 6:34 pm

Is there a photo viewing application that would allow me to put 2 - 5 similar photos on the screen in order to compare them and choose which I like best? I used to use Faststone Image Viewer to do this in Windows.

mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Program to easily compare 2 or more photos

Post by mediclaser » Fri May 17, 2019 7:01 pm

Many default image viewing apps in Linux can be used for that. For example, in Debian, I can use ristretto to view images, using left and right (or up and down) arrow keys to quickly switch between image files.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)

dougmn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dougmn » Fri May 17, 2019 7:27 pm

mediclaser wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 7:01 pm
Many default image viewing apps in Linux can be used for that. For example, in Debian, I can use ristretto to view images, using left and right (or up and down) arrow keys to quickly switch between image files.
I don't want to switch between image files, I want to see a few of them together, on the same screen, to a maximum of 6, so they aren't too small to compare well.

mediclaser
Level 4
Level 4

Post by mediclaser » Fri May 17, 2019 7:59 pm

Well, these image viewers can be launched in multiple windows, if you prefer side-by-side viewing of the images.
If you're looking for a greener Linux pasture, you won't find any that is greener than Linux Mint. ;)

catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel » Fri May 17, 2019 8:14 pm

dougmn wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:34 pm
Is there a photo viewing application that would allow me to put 2 - 5 similar photos on the screen in order to compare them and choose which I like best? I used to use Faststone Image Viewer to do this in Windows.
I use Gwenview.

¡uʍop ǝpısdn sı buıɥʇʎɹǝʌǝ os ɐıןɐɹʇsnɐ ɯoɹɟ ɯ,ı

dougmn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by dougmn » Sat May 18, 2019 3:02 pm

Thank you @catweazel, Gwenview does exactly what I was looking for. I just select the photos I want to compare from the browse window, and click "view", and it shows only those photos. I can select as few or as many as I want.

Return to “Software & Applications”